[mod] Log changes

Is the interface missing, or did you set it that way?

Great mod you've got here eotinb.

I have loaded the file and here is the log I get. What am I doing wrong?

It's not meant to be opened in Notepad.
Copy the text into a quote here and it should work.

ok, what file should I use to open it on my own computer?

Jeff1787 said:
ok, what file should I use to open it on my own computer?

Errrr, see the B, and U above where you type your message (well in advanced look). Try clicking on one of those....

Notice how there appear to be square brackets around a B and U. Notice how similar they appear to some weird symbols you've seen.....

Ponder what the point of a log would be for....

:D

Req

I know what the log is for.....you don't need to talk down to me. Forget that I ever asked the question.

Jeff1787 said:
I know what the log is for.....you don't need to talk down to me. Forget that I ever asked the question.

Now, I'm :confused:. If he knows what the log was for why was he asking the question he did? Oh well, try to add some humor to the situation, and people seem to assume you're insulting them. C'est la vie.

Req

Requies said:
Now, I'm :confused:. If he knows what the log was for why was he asking the question he did?

The question is perfectly reasonable. He wants to know what would be a good way to view the log on his own computer. If you don't have an answer, that's fine, but there's no reason you have to be so condescending in your response.

DaviddesJ said:
The question is perfectly reasonable. He wants to know what would be a good way to view the log on his own computer. If you don't have an answer, that's fine, but there's no reason you have to be so condescending in your response.

Ok, I was referring to the first question he asked, but I guess it's just my time to be misunderstood. I was trying to make a funny, but I guess others interpreted it differently. My apologies if people were offended by my trying to make a joke.

Req

All confusion aside - the point of the log is to paste as a message on these forums, so I don't know offhand what program would open it.
It uses [ ] as tags, which I think are basically only used for forum code.
If you want to see them with colour etc. then copy them as a message here and hit preview.

Edit: I just downloaded it, and yea - Beef already said it but:

"You can select what type of tags (<HTML>, [forum], none) for simple pre-formatting in the "style" variable in autolog.py. Also, you can change whether or not forum-style notes are color-coded in the "color" variable in autolog.py."

That's in the readme - if you want to read it with notepad you may want to change it to none.

Or you could go into the python and edit the formatting variable to leave the formatting out, as documented in the readme...

As others have said, you can change the style variable (to 0 I believe, I'd have to check to make sure -- it's documented in autolog.py) to eliminate the vB tags.

eotinb said:
vbraun, I don't get it. What am I supposed to be seeing in this screenshot?
In the middle of the map the pop-up still is part of the image when zooming out to global view. Zoom back in and its gone. And its not even functunal just an image of the pop-up. It was really weird.

That is very odd. This was the popup that comes up on loading? Did you enter a file name and press OK and it didn't go away? Has this happened more than once?

Thanks eotinb for your modding efforts. I downloaded your mods and added the city growth code as you suggested.

At last I have notifications when my cities grow. :D This makes it much less fiddly to manage my cities' workers.

Your notifications mod will be great, and I look forward to it. May I suggest an option similar to "Show friendly moves" for our own units ? This would be useful, for example, for units on a multiple-length move so we don't miss goodys/barbarians/etc ? Don't know how feasible this is.

I am still a little amazed that the game was released without basic features and poor civilopedia/advisors. Let alone that it runs like a three-legged dog.

But with the efforts of civ modders (and no doubt more patches) I reckon civ IV will be simply awesome.

Great stuff eotinb. :goodjob:

@KingG: So glad you like the mods. Sorry to you (and everyone) that notifications is taking so long -- I've run into a little problem and playing has been more attractive than figuring out what the problem is. As to showing your own moves, I also wonder why that isn't already in. There might be a way to do it, but I can assure you that it won't make it into notifications. Might be a suggestion to post in the main mod forum. I have been known to put a caravel on "explore" when there is only a little bit of aquatic fog left, only to never hear from it again. But running into enemy units (such as barbarians) will interrupt a goto movement, I believe.

Yes eotinb :)

If we could see barbarians and other nasties by a "Show own moves" perhaps we could avoid bumping into them with a settler etc. And also in times of war this would be helpful. I'll find another forum to suggest this in - hard to find my way around here.

And an unexpected benefit of your mods is that you highlighted the idea of succession games as a learning experience for a relative civ newbie like me. So I'll check that out too.

I'll keep an eye out for your notifications mod - maybe you'll work out the problem after just one more turn ? :)

eotinb, i was wondering if you could put in another feature, so that it will write to two seperate files, with html in one, and forum in another?

oh... and you mentioned that you were starting another mod thats like civassist. have you started a thread for developeent/ideas?

eotinb

Wonderful mod, I find it very useful when testing options on "what ifs", could I ask is it possible to have an option to add which folder to save the txt file too ?
I sometimes run a couple....nay 4 or 5 test options, it would be brilliant if I could set the log in the same folder as the saves when I start. Or would "//test01//log01.txt" work ?

Nope tried it programme freezes :(

Top Bottom