[mod] Log changes

Gailainne, what you ask wouldn't be too difficult, but given the problems so many people have had with the path, I'm reluctant to fiddle with that aspect of autolog. and I don't think it's that hard to move the separate files after the fact. But if others express interest in this feature, I may reconsider. Also, feel free to dig into the code and make the change yourself.

where do these log files save to?

Check the variable "path" in autolog.py. It has to be a valid directory on your PC or the files don't get saved at all. Check the first post for more hints at getting the formatting right for the path, and if you have trouble after that, there is a little more detail somewhere earlier in the thread, so slog through the whole thing. :)

Does that answer your question, Dusty?

Well whenever I search the word "path" it finds it once but it has nothing to do with saves.

"path" is the directory where the log files created by autolog are saved to. The in-game event log is stored in the savefile. There is a utility to extract them here.

Eotinb

Thanks for the quick response, no worries I'll do it the old fashion way :), "make the change myself" shudder, I'd hate to think what the outcome of that would be, it took me 2 attempts to get the files in the right place hehe.

Great utility.

I've try in order to figure it by myself.

here is my log files :
----------------------------New entries----------------------------
Turn 0 (4000 BC)
Washington founded
Washington begins: Warrior

Turn 1 (3960 BC)
Research begun: The Wheel

Turn 2 (3920 BC)
Tribal village results: lots of gold

But I can not see the differents colors!
How can I do ?
Thanks in advance...

LeSphinx

LeSphinx said:
Let see...
I can not see the color with notepad editor either word but I can see the color in my previous post!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have the colors being output in "forum" style, you need to look at it in a forum post to see the colors. If it is in "HTML" style, rename the file with a .html extension, and then Word will show the colors (and not show the HTML tags).

DaveShack said:
If you have the colors being output in "forum" style, you need to look at it in a forum post to see the colors. If it is in "HTML" style, rename the file with a .html extension, and then Word will show the colors (and not show the HTML tags).

Actually, in order to view the output on your own computer, you have to paste autolog.py's output into a post and then preview your post. Then copy the preview back into Word. Don't forget to NOT actually post your reply unless you want the whole world to view it. There may be ways to change the options within autolog.py so you don't have to do this, but I didn't go there.

thanks playshogi I've just try it and it works.

-----------
Actually, in order to view the output on your own computer, you have to paste autolog.py's output into a post and then preview your post. Then copy the preview back into Word. Don't forget to NOT actually post your reply unless you want the whole world to view it. There may be ways to change the options within autolog.py so you don't have to do this, but I didn't go there.
--------

Okay, first of all sorry for wasting your time which you could almost definantely put to better use.
I've tried to get Autolog working but nothing seems to be happening.
I unzipped it into the CustomAssets/Python folder and changed the path to where i wanted the saves to go with double \'s and no \ at the end but after i play a few turns, save and exit Civ 4 nothing shows up in the folder.:confused:
Now i'm really sorry for wasting your time but could you please explain it for an absolute idiot :help:

@Sir Toma: What I did was open My Computer and go to the folder that you want your turnlog to go to. Then highlight the path at the top of the page and copy and paste it to the path in the autolog.py file. This way you don't have to worry about accidently mis-spelling or forgeting a character.

You'll need to clear the cache next time you load the game, too.

@Sir Toma: Path problems like you are having are the most common problems with autolog. Sadly, I have no advice other than what you've already done and what the others have suggested. I guess I would add that you shouldn't play more than one turn until you verify that the log file is there. If it's not, quit cIV, fiddle with something, and try again. Oh, and use a very simple directory first to try to get it to work there before using the probably long directory you eventually intend to use.

If eotinb's autolog doesnt open a window with start new/existing file autolog.txt
yes/no as the game is loading up, something is wrong, what I did wrong the first time was create a folder called customassets "yeah I know :(" not realising its created for you, when I got that sorted out the next thing is; the autolog has a generic path, like the guys say I went into explorer created the path, and cut and pasted it into the autolog file. Last but not least I double "//" the path I just pasted and made sure there wasnt any "/" at the end...and for me that worked...I hope my experience helps you.

I'm going to be on the road for at least the next few weeks. I may get a chance to pop in every once in a while, but don't count on getting any timely answers from me. Fortunately, there are enough other knowledgeable people hanging around in this thread that any problems can be addressed.

Yay! i got it to work.
----------------------------New entries----------------------------
Turn 0 (4000 BC)
Tenochtitlan founded
Tenochtitlan begins: Warrior
User comment: did this work???

Turn 1 (3960 BC)
Research begun: Fishing

Turn 2 (3920 BC)
Tribal village results: a little gold

All i did was take out the extra \'s making the path C:\Program Files and then held down shift as the game started.

Thanks for the help guys:clap: :hatsoff: :thanx:

Top Bottom