[MOD/MODCOMP] Better Looking Units

Wow!:eek:You have to teach me how to do that!

Did you reduce the polycount on the leaderhead based unit? It looks great but it should be at least under 2000 faces (ideally 1000 or under.)

Yep, blender has a very handy Poly Reducer function which preserves the UV map so that you can use the same texture. Very cool indeed.

This was just a test really. I'm not sure the Arawak leader is the best for it. I'll do it for real using the Iroquois leader (which I think will look the business) and create a tutorial at the same time.

Spoiler :

Amazing work! This is brilliant!

Cool, I've never noticed that before. I Just tested it out, and it seems to do some great work!

I can't wait to see more improvements, this mod looks really promising! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

The other key tool together with the PolyReducer is this script to Copy and Paste between blender instances:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49772
This script can be used to swap unit heads and other components between blender instances as well.

At a high level this is the process for Leaderheads -> Units. Save your blender files frequently and use Ctrl-Z to undo often!

(deep breath)

1. Reduce the complexity as much as possible by cutting away unnecessary elements - props, jewellery, ears, etc. This stuff can be done by texture. You are either going to merge the leaderhead with the target unit at the wrists or at the shoulders, so also lose the hands/whole arms.
2. Use the PolyReducer to get the poly count down, aiming for around 500 faces for head and torso. Check in the Texture view to see if your model still looks decent. PolyReducer effects the whole mesh by default, but you can use the vertex group weight feature to protect certain elements. Alternatively, you break the mesh up into to separate elements (using P for separate) - that way you can be much more aggressive on simpler elements like the torso, and less so on fiddly elements like the nose. Make sure everything is joined into a single object and still looks OK by checking the Texture view. Finally, remove the skeleton leaving only the mesh and delete every single vertex group.
3. Open a second instance of Blender. Import your target unit nif. Use the Copy/Paste script to Copy the reduced Leaderhead to buffer and then Paste out of buffer into the unit model.
4. Move, scale, tweak the leaderhead object until matched the proportion and position of the unit's head and torso. Delete the head and torso from the unit mesh.
5. Join the leaderhead and unit into one object. Weld together the shoulders and waist using (M)erge vertex and create (F)ace. Tidy up and tweak as necessary.
6. Assign vertices to appropriate vertex groups. I use Ctrl-Left drag to do lasso select and Ctril-Shift-Left drag lasso deselect. If you did the shoulder join option you'll probably only need to worry about Head, Spine, Spine1, Pelvis.
7. Export your nif. If it complains about unweighted vertices then you missed assigning a vertex to a bone vertex group.
8. In NifSkope delete the node of the units body and replace with your exported leaderhead/unit mutant.

It takes some patience, trial and error and tweaking to get this to work. I'm working on the Iroquois at the moment and haven't quite got the balance between poly count and quality yet. Either looks great but complex, or right complexity and dodgy looks. When I get this working smoothly - then I'll probably use a similar process for the Cherokee and Apache.

Iroquois is coming along. Down to around 1500 faces which isn't too bad when you consider the dragoons are 1200. Needs a bit more tidy up and texturing and then he's done.

I'm done with the Iroquois for now. The arms are a bit chubby, but I've noticed that is also a problem with the existing Native Warrior:

Spoiler :

I'm now working on these guys. I've got an adjusted model, complete with sword and box thing (note the badly drawn anchor). Fair amount of texturing work to do!

So Troupes de la Marine and Iroquois for the next release.

Version 0.4 is now available - see the edited opening post.

Coming soon - the third and (perhaps) final revision of the Conquistadores, the spanish caravals from here and the Maya.

Nice!:goodjob: I hope you do some Dutch units soon!

I think I've finally got the Conquistador look I was going for. I would like to do Dutch units soon. Anyone have any ideas/visual examples? Otherwise I'll do a bit of Googling myself.

@Flintlock
Self taught pretty much. Lots of practice with Blender and Paint.NET. Bear in mind I am making as much use of existing material as I can. For example this is the original M2TW conquistador texture used for the above model:

I realised I'd get better results from altering the UV map to the texture, rather vice versa. You can see what I mean from this Blender screenshot:

It's a sort of halfway house of the recent craze for porting models from other games. For freeware I think Blender is a great tool. Tricky to get pick up, but once you crack it it's enormously powerful. You can also texture paint in Blender which is really useful. The shading under the armour skirt and helmet was done in Blender using the airbrush.

@Aymerick
Had a look around and I think Rembrandt's The Night Watch might be the best source for a Dutch Golden Age military unit:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/The_Nightwatch_by_Rembrandt.jpg

Could be a challenge ;)

For those dutch soldiers you could use Bakuel's Swedish Karolin unit for the model.

I've looked at a few Bakuel's units and there is something strange going on with his NIF files. When I look at them they seem laid out in a jumbled way and they can't be imported into Blender or anything. Wierd. To be honest I'm not sure how people have got them working in game. I'm not dissing his work, but I've not been able to use any of his stuff due to these problems.

I've have some ideas on what to do for the Dutch, but first I need to get version 0.5 released which should be this weekend.

Top Bottom