1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Modular United Mods

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by Liambane, Oct 31, 2008.

1. joeaverage

joeaverage Chieftain

I will have to correct you on this one. The Danes started building colonies/forts in the Caribbean on St. Thomas and St. John (known as St. Jan in Danish) and later on, on St. Croix. And therefore should be corrected on your map.

Regarding Argentina, there were around 13.000 Danes who settled down in Argentina in between the late 1840s to the early 1930s, but calling this a colonization is entirely wrong - as it is merely considered an period of immigration. The Danes has been settling and colonizing the aforementioned islands from the late 1660s under King Frederik III. But Denmark has have had colonies since 1620s under the rule of King Christian IV. ;)

Looking forward to try the map! :) Where can I find it?

J. :king:

2. Masterman

Masterman Chieftain

Ah, I think you misunderstood. I merely said that the Danes built a colony in Argentina in *my* test game. I do know the real-life history of the Danish colonies. Actually, I had placed them at a reasonable starting location on the map so that they would have built the Caribbean colonies, but, for some reason, they did not, instead opting to go to southern South America.

Alas, you can't find it since it has not yet been uploaded! :)

Known bugs :sad: are:
    * Chinese ships created on the western seaboard go to China and back perfectly, but any new ships built in "European China" appear on the eastern side of America. An in-game fix for this is thus to have all ships be built by New China in the colonies for them to sail correctly.
    * Some civilization start out in the middle of complete blackness. The map clears up once you start to sail, but it's a bit unsettling and should be somehow corrected.
    * The starting window with leader name, victory conditions, starting troops and so on does not show up. Rather odd, but not really game-breaking.
    * I could find no Scouts of the European powers in North America. Possibly, they can't produce any for some reason. Need to check this out again with another test game.

Requests:
    * I'd like New China to have different architecture and a unique "European Chine" screen.
    * I'd really like to include Russia in Alaska. This will be added if a modular civ shows up.

Any advice on how to fix any of these problems is appreciated.

Since at least one user here is interested in it I'll see to it that I iron out the bugs in it first, and then post it. Not before that.

And, BTW, kudos to Liambane for having put this mod together. I get it that you don't expect to have time to continue with the mod, so perhaps it's a good ending to complete it with a nice map to play on.

/ Peter Masterman :cool:

3. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

I think PiMan created a Russian Modcomp, that Dale has incorporated into AOD. Perhaps you could do the same.

4. joeaverage

joeaverage Chieftain

Ahh... I understand... No worries then! ;)

But let me knwo when you have a RC for the map... I'd love to see it... ;)

5. PiMan

PiMan Emperor

Wasn't me. I've only done Australian Colonization.

6. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

heh, i did have a feeling i might be wrong about that... who did the russian modcomp then? I could have a look, but i'm too lazy! :p

Either way it is out there and available if needed im sure :)

7. Masterman

Masterman Chieftain

Ok then, I've some good news regarding the Ozzy's America map for this mod. I've worked out all of the bugs except for:
    * Chinese ships created on the western seaboard go to China and back perfectly, but any new ships built in "European China" appear on the eastern side of America. An in-game fix for this is thus to have all ships be built by New China in the colonies for them to sail correctly.

Fix1: However, I've made another in-game fix to handle this problem. Whenever a Chinese ship appears in error on the eastern seaboard it's possible for the Player to sail around the southern edge of South America to get to the colonies. The original map prevented this, but I've edited some map squares to allow for it.

Fix2: To simulate the fact that Sweden and Denmark were late players in the colonization process, I've set back both their starting positions by approximately two turns. The result is a more varied game where New Sweden and New Denmark can appear basically anywhere on the map.

I'll playtest a bit more, and then post the map-file somewhere on the forum.

8. i_diavolorosso

i_diavolorosso Prince

Nevermind isn't it??
    I'm too lazy to look it too:p

9. joeaverage

joeaverage Chieftain

Good one :clap:

Will the map still have limited turns, like the original one? Or have you switched that off?

10. Masterman

Masterman Chieftain

The map is set on 300 turns like the original one. Since this is basically a Scenario the Player can, of course, adjust difficulty, speed etc. as per his needs. The Default settings on the maps are the same ones as in the Ozzy's America map used in the Age of DiscoveryII mod.

/ Peter Masterman :D

11. Masterman

Masterman Chieftain

Here is a modified Ozzy's Americas map for use with Modular United Mods v1.2.

FEATURES: :D
    * Play as any of the eight "European" civilizations of Spain, England, France, Netherlands, Portugal, China, Sweden or Denmark.
    * The Chinese civilization starts on the Pacific side of America, that is in the West.
    * Known bug: Chinese ships built in China will appear on the Eastern seaboard. Ships built in the colonies will not have this problem and will function properly.
    * Map modification: It is now possible to sail around the southern edge of South America (i.e. Cape Horn). This allows for the other civilizations to reach the Pacific to pirate Chinese cargo ships. It also allows Chinese ships that have reached the Atlantic side in error to find their way to the Pacific-side colonies.

Usage:
    1) Download the attached zip-file of the map
    2) Unzip the contents into a folder named "PublicMaps" located inside the directory of the Mod (the mod directory should be named "Modular United Mods 1.2" and be located in the "Mods" directory). If you have no "PublicMaps" folder inside the Mod directory, create one, and unzip the contents there.
    3) Start the game, load the mod, and then select Single Player - Play a Scenario, and choose Ozzy's Americas on the Select a Map screen, where it should now appear, and press Ok.
    4) Select your civilization and the game settings and rule the New World!
    4b) Alternatively, just double-click the file "Ozzy's Americas.colonizationWBSave" in your Explorer and it will all load automatically to the civilization select screen.

Comments, ideas and bug reports are most welcome on this message board. For example: Would gameplay be enhanced by the presence of Russians in Alaska? Are other starting positions better for some of the civiliazations?

I hope you enjoy the results! :goodjob:

Attached Files:

12. Liambane

Liambane Rome's Praetorian

Mod Update!

13. TC01

TC01 Deity

Russian America Mod was done by NeverMind here. Speaking of that mod, have you added the Maya and Inuit civs as well? They were also in the Russian America mod.

I'm downloading the mod as I post this. It's much more preferable to have to run all the civs individually- having the new civs compiled into one mod is much, much more useful.

14. Liambane

Liambane Rome's Praetorian

Nope. I've included just Russia in this upgrade.

Eheh... This is the reason cause I've done this mod.

15. drjest2000

drjest2000 Prince

Really a superb mod. Like Liambane, I'd love to see the Maya and numerous other civilizations added (10-15 minute load time expected LOL). I also think adding more resouces like copal (used both as incense and like amber to make jewellery), wood creosote (used historically in medicine, insecticides, and shipbuilding), hemp (historically used for ropes and sail-cloth), indigo (dye), tea, coffee, cocoa and gold added as resources would rock if it wouldn't make the economy so hairy it becomes unmanageable.

If you add gold, could you make the AI handle it in a more sane manner? The implimented versions I have seen will invariably make a starter colony go into starvation rather than work on building necessities.

16. simonmaal

simonmaal Chieftain

Superb Mod! It really breathes life into the game as well as making it more challenging when starting off with all the new colonial powers at once. I always play on huge/marathon (I like the long game!) and I always felt that the huge map felt a bit empty with just 4 colonial powers. This mod changes that and makes it feel as if I have to get claiming land as soon as possible before the others do!

The only feedback I would give is that more native civilizations might be good. Other than that, as I said, a superb mod!

Thank you so much for making this :)

17. Johnniecash

Johnniecash Chieftain

Great initiative!

Would it be possible to merge this with the Age of Discovery II mod? I would love to take use of the great work on Denmark in the settings of AoDII. Is this easiely done?

18. simonmaal

simonmaal Chieftain

I'm in the process of merging this with my own (so far unreleased) New Northumbria Mod. At the moment I've managed to get Portugal integrated but still need to do the others (the file structure is different from mine so I need to copy and paste loads of stuff into all the XML files to co-ordinate them). I've got the Europe screen mod and extra victory conditions mod into my own as well as using some of Ekmek's excellent leader heads with my own custom backgrounds.

So based on my own experience, merging the mods should be straightforward, just a bit time consuming because of the different way people structure the files within their mods.

I'll get my own mod out there once I sort the issues I've been having and hopefully that might give some clues as to how this might be done.

Of course, I'm quite new to modding so I might have it all wrong!! ;)

19. Pastshelfdate

Pastshelfdate Chieftain

I'm sorry, Liam, but when I use Windows Explorer to open the sub-directory tree inside the basic, un-patched installation of Colonization (2008), I can't find a "Mods" directory, at least not directly below the Colonization root. The closest thing is a "Public Maps" folder.

When I first visited the Civilization Fanatics site, the Colonization downloads pages, clicking on a file name opened a page that included instructions for installing each file. So in addition to downloading files, I saved a copy of each description page. Yet now none of the pages, either on my PC or on the site, include installation instructions. What happened? :(

20. Pastshelfdate

Pastshelfdate Chieftain

Please accept my apologies, as you've probably been asked "Where is 'Colonization\Mods'?" before, but all I can afford on disability is 28K dial-up, and it's going to take a while to wade through the forum pages to see if I can find installation instructions for United Mods 1.3.

Mr. L