1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Modular United Mods

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by Liambane, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

I like that idea, veBear! :goodjob:

2. johny smith

johny smith Chieftain

3. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

True, but the game is supposed to start when America is discovered (1492) until the mid-1700s, isn't it? If the game stretches into the 1800s, the technology changes ought to be substantial.

4. johny smith

johny smith Chieftain

Well just with the small time frame I mean the time needs to be adjusted per civ that pops up I think if you want to get closer to reality I mean. But the game would not be the same then.

When were all looking at the US for example which most of the idea of the game was based on it looks like. We are talking a real window time from 1600 till independence. Which that is at most 200 years I mean.

So anyway I don't really know how it should be handled. Spanish and Portuguese were much earlier of course.

I mean if giving even more detail muskets were not readily available in 1492.

5. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

But still, it would be nice to keep the civs roughly similar to the colony powers present during the time of the game. I would mind seeing Russia so much, but Germany and Italy are far beyond the scope of the game. And the Japanese, for instance, were never even close to be interested in colonising America.

6. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

You could mod the game to be fit in a longer era and add more technologies, you know. The pictures from CivIV technologies could be used. And then we could see some few, more industrial weapons to. It could be an idea to make the game run from 1400 to 1825/1850/1875. Just add some more units and technologies and you're done. That's my opinion. :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

Edit: wrong spelling

7. veBear

Question, Lubricus.
    Are you Norwegian?
    I'm too, you see.

8. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

Pokker, der røk min hemmelige identitet! :D

Ja, jeg er nok norsk...

9. veBear

Kult, mæ å
    Å æ bor i Nidaros, det gjør ikke DU... Muhaha

10. joeaverage

joeaverage Chieftain

First of all - this mod looks and sounds extremely interesting - and first thing to to when I get home, is to download it - and try playing that game.

Second of all, what are the advantages/disadvantages for the new nations in the new game? And which names are chosen for the Danish cities (I'm Danish, so I'm very interested in this particular)

I'm looking for much forward to playing this mod! :scan:

11. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

Well, I've just played it a little, but I'm not very happy with the names of the colonies. The first one is Godthåb, which might be OK, even though I'd choose Taphus or Charlotte Amalie, but the next ones are "New (whatever)"-names, which do not fit well with the Danish colony names in RL.

I'd like to see names like Fort Frederik, Christiansted and Egedesminde, among others.

12. joeaverage

joeaverage Chieftain

Yes indeed, the second name seems to something like "New Hergenutt" or something - which could be similar to "New Herning" but again - the names should be adequate. Some of the names from St. John, St. Croix or St. Thomas would be suitable. Even some of the names from the ealy colonies in Africa and Indian Ocean could be considered as well... I know there are a few "old" Danish settlements in the mid-west of the US which could be concidered.

I'd be happy to assist the "modder" with this! :D

Anyway - good job with the mod - it is (besides the city names) pretty damn cool! :D

13. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

Me too. I have a long list of Danish settlements in the Americas right before me, actually... ;)

14. joeaverage

joeaverage Chieftain

Nice... would you mind PM it to me? I'm very interested in this! ;)

15. Liambane

Liambane Rome's Praetorian

Dude that's A LOT of work... :eek::eek::eek: But the idea is good...

Thx for feedback to all of you. Any help for improve my mod is appriciated. When You guys are ready with the Danish City List, please post it here.

(BTW you can also edit civilizationinfos.xml in my mod and replace the names inside that file... :lol:)

16. veBear

Nice, hope the list will be good.
    I'm not fan of unrealistic, non right language names.
    Do you think you could change every city's name to the name in their original language??? (Like new Copenhagen to ny København(I know you deleted this name, but here i just use it as an example))

17. veBear

It would be great if you could use animated LH's instead of those other pictures.
    Here i linked some ideas for possible animated LH.

Jens Munk: Alternate Jens Munk
    Johan Risingh: Alternate Johan Risingh(needs a reskin to fit)
    Hans Egede: Alternate Hans Egede
    Danish King: Alternate Danish King (maybe it needs a reskin, your choice)

here are some LH you cuold steal from other civs:
    Austria Civ
    Bulgaria Civ
    Canada Civ

Thats all i got to say now, hope you like this idea to...:confused:

Edit: Added the three last links
    Edit2: Forgot the edit message
    Edit3: Wrong spelling

18. joeaverage

joeaverage Chieftain

Lubricus and I have just worked out a list of authentic city/colony/settlement/fort names for the use in this mod - and other mods similar to this using Danmarks as a nationality in the Civ4-family.

So far we have 30 cities listed in a chronological order. We have not used any viking city names, as it would be ridiculous using those names in a game that starts out in 1492. However, as Denmark (to my knowledge) became a colony power in 1620 - we have sofar only used names starting here.

We could use authentic names Hedeby, Slesvig etc. - but that would be more suitable in Civ4 Civilization-family and not in Colonization, as these names are from the viking era and around 400 years before the actual colonization of the americas.

I just need the the "approval" from Lubricus before we publish the list.

19. joeaverage

joeaverage Chieftain

OK here's the list of Danish settlements/colonies that Lubricus and I have created. It's pretty close to complete - but there might be a few cities or forts that are left out here.

Authentic Danish Colonial Settlements
    Spoiler :
    1620 : Trankebar (Tarangambadi/Tranquebar former Danish East-Indies colony)
    1659 : Frederiksberg (Ghana - former Goldcoast)
    1661 : Fort Christiansborg (Osu Castle in Accra, Ghana - former Goldcoast colony)
    1671 : Fort Christian (Located in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas - former Danish West-Indies, now US Virgin Islands)
    1672 : Tap Hus (later renamed Charlotte Amalie in 1730, capital of St. Thomas, former Danish West-Indies, now US Virgin Islands)
    1679 : Skytsborg (a fort located in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, former Danish West-Indies, now US Virgin Islands)
    1728 : Godthaab (still in Danish possesion - today called Nuuk and located in Greenland)
    1733 : Fort Frederiksborg (Ghana - former Goldcoast)
    1733 : Fredriksted (St. Criox - former Danish West-Indies, now US Virgin Islands)
    1734 : Christianshaab (still in Danish possesion - today called Qasigiannguit and located in Greenland)
    1734 : Fort Christiansværn (located in Christiansted St. Criox - former Danish West-Indies, now US Virgin Islands)
    1741 : Jakobshavn (still in Danish possesion - today called Ilulissat and located in Greenland)
    1742 : Frederikshaab (still in Danish possesion - today called Paamiut and located in Greenland)
    175? : Fort Fredensborg (The ruin is located at Old Ningo, Ghana - former Goldcoast)
    175? : Fort Kongensten (Ghana - former Goldcoast)
    1755 : Achne (a village by Trankebar)
    1755 : Pirapur (a village by Trankebar)
    1755 : Sukkertoppen (still in Danish possesion - today called Maniitsoq and located in Greenland)
    1760 : Fort Frederik (located in Frederiksted, St. Criox - former Danish West-Indies, now US Virgin Islands)
    1763 : Egedesminde (still in Danish possesion - today called Aasiaat and located in Greenland)
    1763 : Umanak (still in Danish possesion, located in Greenland)
    1767 : Holsteinsborg (still in Danish possesion - today called Sisimiut and located in Greenland)
    1772 : Upernavik (still in Danish possesion, located in Greenland)
    1773 : Christiansted (St. Criox - former Danish West-Indies, now US Virgin Islands)
    1775 : Julianehaab (still in Danish possesion - today called Qaqortoq and located in Greenland)
    1784 : Fort Prinsensten (Ghana - former Goldcoast)
    1787 : Fort Augustaborg (Ghana - former Goldcoast)
    1822 . Scoresbysund (still in Danish possesion - today called Ittoqqortoormiit and located in Greenland)
    1830 : Nordprøven (later renamed Narssaq in 1959 and still in Danish possesion, located in Greenland)
    1906 : Godhavn (still in Danish possesion - today called Qeqertarsuaq and located in Greenland)
    1941 : Søndre Strømfjord (still in Danish possesion - today called Kangerlussuaq and located in Greenland)
    1986 : Kangatsiak (still in Danish possesion, located in Greenland)

For the name cities in Greenland, we have only added names that previously had a Danish name for the city. All cities in Greenland has been renamed with the native language now.

I would prefer that Charlotte Amalie should be the name of the first settlement in the game because of the fact, that it's more widely known world-wide - and even in Denmark would question Trankebar, as it's actually not very known here. But if you stick the the chronological order, it would be cool with many people! ;-)

In lack of other names, I decided to add these names - which are authentic, but without status as a colony.

Later Danish settlements/activities without colonial status
    Spoiler :
    1698 : Dannemarksnagore (This was a lodge, and not really a colony. Today called Gondalpara, Bengal, India | probably not suitable for Colonization)
    1753 : Frederiksnagore (This was a lodge, and not really a colony. Today called Serampore, Bengal, India | probably not suitable for Colonization)
    1800 : Denmark, New York (USA | I'm unsure if it was actually settled by Danes)
    1872 : New Denmark, New Brunswick (Canada)
    1877 : Freedom, Utah (USA)
    1902 . Dickson, Alberta (Canada)
    1910 : Standard, Iowa (USA)
    1911 : Solvang, California (USA)
    1918 : Dalum, Alberta (Canada)

I know there was some Danish settlements in Argentina around 7 generations ago. I saw it in Danish tv. The still speak Danish and talk it (besides Spanish) - but I can't remember where it was in Argentina.

I thought about the name Christiania (now Olso in Norway) as it was rebuild upon the ruins of the old city of Olso in 1624. However, original name for the city-ruins was Olso, so I thought it probably would not be adequate.

20. Liambane

Liambane Rome's Praetorian

OK! Thx. I hope I will upload a new version in few days with this city names for Denmark. I'm also planning to replace some leaderheads with animated ones.

Hope I will find the spare time fo fix this things since now i returned to be very busy in my life and can't find time for mod colonization as time ago... :(