Mod - Pirate Islands

So, ant new version of this mod coming out or is this it?

I've had fun playing it since I downloaded, but would like to see some unique sea vessels early in the game. Go more Pirate themed with the ships and land units.

May I suggest a change to the Salvage promotions? I think that instead of increasing the rate of healing for a ship (although you might want to keep that under another name, such as "repair"), you could make it the chances of capturing the ship.

Ok, I am completely new to the idea of mods, can someone do a step by step explination of how I play as a pirate please?

I know you have to change the mod value, but where EXACTLY do I find that and what EXACTLY do I change it to?

Thank you for the help.

Mod value? What are you talking about?

All you have to do is open up the unzipped file, copy the file inside of named "Pirate Islands," or something, put it under Mods, under Civilization 4, under Firaxis Games, under Program Files.

Also, this is a very good idea, but it needs some more units, and more elaboration.

All you did was add three more leaders and one more civ and two UUs, which is good, but it has so much potential.

Prussia said:
Mod value? What are you talking about?

All you have to do is open up the unzipped file, copy the file inside of named "Pirate Islands," or something, put it under Mods, under Civilization 4, under Firaxis Games, under Program Files.

Also, this is a very good idea, but it needs some more units, and more elaboration.

All you did was add three more leaders and one more civ and two UUs, which is good, but it has so much potential.

NO, the civs it starts with are the normal civs. There is a way to play actually as a pirate civ I think. I want to know how to play as a pirate instead of like Americans.

If the mod is loaded correctly, the pirate leaders are at the bottom of the leaders list when in "Custom Game"

If by Mod Value you mean changing the config.ini file or whatever its called, the file is in the main Civ4 folder. The name startes with "_civ4", I think.

calebt3 said:
If the mod is loaded correctly, the pirate leaders are at the bottom of the leaders list when in "Custom Game"

If by Mod Value you mean changing the config.ini file or whatever its called, the file is in the main Civ4 folder. The name startes with "_civ4", I think.

When I go to custom game all the normal leaders are there and no pirate names come into play.

"All you did was add three more leaders and one more civ and two UUs" -- prussia

prussia:
I also added a custom scripting to:
-- transform the terrain tiles into jungle/deserty islands
-- make it so improvments could be built on jungles
-- create the ability to capture ships
-- make loot from destroying vessels based on your enemies' actual trade income
-- generate random pirate ship names
The leaders, civs, and units were the easy part! The scripting is what took the time and trouble!
Dont under estimate the amount of time it took to do all that.

I do agree that it isn't enough stuff! My original plan included a bunch mores ideas, but due to problems with practial application as well as time constrains, I had to trim it down in scale. A lot more could be done and I agree that the Pirate theme has a lot of potential. So, though I could make this mod way cooler with even more custom stuff, I've put as much time into it as I'm able to for the time being. If anyone wants to expand upon it by adding their own ideas, feel free. I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

calebt3:
Increasing the chances of capturing was my original idea, actually. I changed it for a couple reasons. 1) I tried to avoid randomness. 2) I found that if the pirates could capture ships too early and too easily, their fleet size multiplied exponentially and the other teams didnt have a chance to keep up. 3) It seems like naval units have a harder time gaining experience than land units, so it isn't very easy to get a ship with lots of promotions. So, whereas I had a bunch of different promotion chains to begin with, I decided to go with a smaller number. So, I combined my various loot and healing promotions into one chain and put capturing at the end of it, to prevent it from being accessible too easily.

I just removed Civ4 and deleted ALL the files. I then reinstalled it and downloaded the mod again. Still no Pirate names in the leaders area. I have no clue what I am doing wrong, but I don't know what else to do.

I went into the zip file, selected all files, extraded them to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods. It made a new folder in there for Pirate Island. I loaded the mod, and it says Pirate Island in the upper right corner of the game when it is loaded... but thats all.

mihaemon said:
3) It seems like naval units have a harder time gaining experience than land units, so it isn't very easy to get a ship with lots of promotions. So, whereas I had a bunch of different promotion chains to begin with, I decided to go with a smaller number. So, I combined my various loot and healing promotions into one chain and put capturing at the end of it, to prevent it from being accessible too easily.

You can easily change the average number of experience points that A unit gets from either succesfully defending or attacking via xml tags in the "UnitInfos", maybe this could help you.
But as you´re saying that other folks should expand this mod I get the impression that you don´t want to work on this mod any more and I think it´s a pitty, because after you release a mod IMO you should react on public feedback and improve your mod - but OK, it´s up to you!
I think the pirate-theme has a lot of potential in it, so I´m hoping for some other folks to extend this mod and keep on working on this.

I would be more than happy to provide any kind of help that you (somebody who wants to continue this work) would need (simple 3d models without animations, xml, BUTTONS etc.)

Ok, since I am obviously the only turd that cannot play as a pirate, can someone please explain to me what you do to play as one?

I downloaded the mod, opened the zip file, selected all the files and exported them to my Civ 4 mod file where my other mods are located (total realism, fall form heaven II, etc.). When I start the game and load the mod, all I get is on the main menu screen, in the top right corner it says "Civ4PirateIsland mod". When I go to custom game or play now all the normal leaders are there, but no pirates civs. What did I do wrong or what do I still need to do to play as a barbarian or pirate? Thank you.

ruffriders23 said:
Ok, since I am obviously the only turd that cannot play as a pirate, can someone please explain to me what you do to play as one?

I downloaded the mod, opened the zip file, selected all the files and exported them to my Civ 4 mod file where my other mods are located (total realism, fall form heaven II, etc.). When I start the game and load the mod, all I get is on the main menu screen, in the top right corner it says "Civ4PirateIsland mod". When I go to custom game or play now all the normal leaders are there, but no pirates civs. What did I do wrong or what do I still need to do to play as a barbarian or pirate? Thank you.

Most probably, its the same problem that was mentioned on page 1. Check your pirate island mod folder, you probably copied the root one (a folder within a folder) and not the actual mod folder... take the actual PI mod folder and move that directly to the mods folder then delete the empty one.

lostkiwi said:
Most probably, its the same problem that was mentioned on page 1. Check your pirate island mod folder, you probably copied the root one (a folder within a folder) and not the actual mod folder... take the actual PI mod folder and move that directly to the mods folder then delete the empty one.

GOT IT!!! Now I have the option for Pirate Empire. The same leaders are in it, but atleast I am playing as a pirate. Thanks Lostkiwi... I shoud have read better.

A very interesting approch to the random pirate ship naming. I am going to include that in a future version of my JRandomNames mod. Nice job. :)

I like this mod. Being able to play as a pirate instead of a leader is a cool idea. I would like to see the mod make the pirate leaders people like:

Anne Bonny
Bartholomew R.
Beniowski, M.
Edward Teach
Henry Morgan
John Rackham
Jean Laffite
Mary Read
Samuel Bellamy
Sir Francis Drake
Stede Bonnet
William Kidd

Most of these people would have pictures on Google, and it would add a bit of realism to the Pirate Mod. What do you think?

'!' I feel distincly left out in all this strategyonly ;) I did the leaders and a the initial thought.
I think it'd be a great idea for mihaemonm, Jenks and myself to put our mods together and work on some kind of uber realistic 'Pirates & Privateers' mod, with all the trimmings. Our thread is here if you're interested:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=4308117#post4308117

the same goes for anyone else, the mod is a bit barebones at the mo, and we're having serious CTD issues that Jenks could use a hand with (I can't program to save my life, thats why I'm only flavours and Pirate ideas)
and even if you can't program, we need any graphics you can give us (stolen from other mods or ones you've made yourself) and even if you can't do graphics or program (like me), the mod would be very short without some other buildings, units and techs. So if you've got any ideas, please post them on the thread.

Any news on a Pirate mod update? Or, does anyone know of another mod where you can play as a Pirate/Barbarian?

Top Bottom