[MOD] Planet Roanoke, a/k/a all SMAC'ed up

That one looks very scifi. :goodjob:

Is it an assembly of existing stuff or something you made yourself.

GeoModder said:
That one looks very scifi. :goodjob:

Is it an assembly of existing stuff or something you made yourself.

Thanks. It's all from scratch. I never figured out how to attach stuff via the nifviewer so I'm simply making some simple stuff for now.

I'm getting closer to that moonbase pic you uploaded all those months ago Geo. :p

the pulse dampener will be a nice addition, hopefully will stop the crappy scientist running into the fibersea to fight

i do like that improvement tho :) are they buoy-like structures ... sure something will be designed improvement wise that can be built in fibersea, that will fit it nicely ...

think you could you design graphics for the Habitation Dome improvements also ? we were thinking along the lines of a growing Hab Dome I-IV replacing the cottage/hamlet/village/town tree ?

I can try a hab dome type progression jenks. The one with circles could be replaced easily with a geosphere and have triangles cut out. Might look nice.

Here's the Pulse Dampener file.

edit - The improvement is in the Graphics section.

Attachments

• Dampener.zip
    19.5 KB · Views: 119
(back from exhile... you guys miss me?)

Oooh... I like everything I see here.

Woodelf, do you know how to add/remove elements of a model, e.g. change the gun on a figure?

Padmewan said:
(back from exhile... you guys miss me?)

Oooh... I like everything I see here.

Woodelf, do you know how to add/remove elements of a model, e.g. change the gun on a figure?

That's nif viewer stuff and I haven't learned how to do it. If you beg/plead maybe Rabbit or another expert at that can do it quickly for you.

A week away from warlords and im guessing nobody is updating in fear of having their changes made useless by the expansion :(

we could still pass the time with extended discussion on the Roanoke design .... see the forum!

Here's a simple cottage--->hamlet--->village--->town progression. The colors are simply to add some, well color. :)

--->--->--->

Let me know what you like, dislike, ect. The size needs to be tweaked and maybe rotate them as well.

Interesting, I like that progression. Tho I think I'd suggested the geometric progression for Roan resources :)

Don't know how hard this would be, but here's how I think it can look a little more "natural" (besides reskinning :)) -- I like the idea of a base that keeps growing. So, can the base be that geodic dome ("cottage"), then the dome expands by adding a smaller dome connected to the central dome, then the domes become more complex (e.g. add some radar or antennae or something). But the basic dome is always in the same place (the middle) and when a new part gets added it also doesn't change, it just gets gets more stuff added to it later.

Although I might back off for a second and ask what improvement this is supposed to be, since I don't recall where we left off on the improvement types. One of the ones we'd kicked around was the upgrading "habitat", an all-purpose improvement that provided some melange of all 3 yields. That might look something more like this:

1. A full dome, completely enclosed, with some grass and buildings inside.
2. The dome picks up some "wings" -- mini-domes like I suggested above.
3. The dome "retracts," and you can now see all the plants and buildings that were implied before.
4. The base structure is all that's left of the dome (a metallic ring), and the improvement covers the entire tile with some trees, grass, buildings, etc.

Maybe at 3 and 4, some kind of force field replaces the dome?

Maybe a good way to make this easier is just to cut and paste stuff from existing resources/improvements? E.g. borrow a tree from the forest, the dome from SoTM, some buildings from anywhere...

nice woodelf :)

ignoring colours i like the sphere best as a basis for a habitation dome,
but it needs to be set lower, so that at the most only the top half of it protrudes above land ... a hemi-sphere .

is it also possible to fit in more triangles around the frame itself, to give more 'glass effect', so you can see inside a bit more?

I think four different sizes of the dome would suffice for the four levels, or would it look better if level II and III simply stretched the sphere out in one direction ? (level II would be a elongated sphere, level III would be a L shaped sphere) ... not sure ...

with colours: i imagine a mix of white / silver type finish to the frame itself,
also with some texture of sorts partially visible on the floor under the frame ... (maybe use a farm graphic or something similar to provide a 'carpet')
=====

Pad beat me to the reply :p
if you can do the things pad lists would be superb ! i like the wings idea, similar to elongated spheres that i mentioned

Just so we're on the same page..... ;)

These are for an improvement that will replace the Vanilla cottage improvement, correct? A geosphere with more triangles for the beginning cottage is certainly doable. From there we need to agree what the next 3 stages are. A small addition for the hamlet? Another addition for the village? And then something major to signify the final stage, ie - the town? Maybe a tower or reciever of some sort?

@Pad : yeah i think the last one should be almost as large as the tile itself, i also like the 'wings' and slow 'opening' of windows ... trees and foliage might look a bit daft if the Dome is built on tiles colder than tundra or hotter than tropical though ...
-----
@Woodelf : Yeah thats right, they will be identical but for name, graphic, yield values, growth rate ... (not really identical other than functionality then :p)

this is what im imagining now:

Hab Dome I = Cottage (a lowered and metallic colored geosphere as above, with more triangle cutouts and something 'greenery' related inside - a farm as a carpet?)

Hab Dome II = Hamlet (Hab Dome I with one additional 'side-pod' (half size of original sphere), side pod would not have any triangular cut-out 'windows')

Hab Dome III = Village (Hab Dome II with a second side-pod coming off the main dome (possibly coming off the main dome at a right angle?), again neither side-pod has windows)

Hab Dome IV = Town (Hab Dome III with both side-pods now windowed, additionally with an array of sorts - a tall pole sitting in front of the L-shaped Hab Dome, with a array of sorts at its peak)

[if you're lifting gfx then the vanilla broadcast tower building, or the array which sits on the end of the vanilla airport building look fine for this suggested Hab Dome array/tower]

Does any of that make sense outside my head?

That sort of makes sense. I'm not sure how well the "greenery" will show. I can simply lay a plane down and color it green I guess. :)

I'll whip something up either later tonight or early tomorrow and we'll see where we are then. :)

Do you want the "windows" cut out or simply bluish tinted?

i was thinking they'd be easiest and look fine if they were simple cutouts,

can you do like a semi transparent blue tint to the windows? that sounds nice :) is that easy?

jenks said:
i was thinking they'd be easiest and look fine if they were simple cutouts,

can you do like a semi transparent blue tint to the windows? that sounds nice :) is that easy?

The blue tint isn't hard, but it won't be transparent since I haven't figured out glass yet. You guys will have to decide what's more important; seeing "greenery" inside the domes or having "glass" that isn't see through. :D

Up to you guys.

woodelf said:
You guys will have to decide what's more important; seeing "greenery" inside the domes or having "glass" that isn't see through. :D

any chance of a sample? :p
i dont think windows/tinted is a massive issue, its just a case of what is going to look the coolest in game :D what do you think woodelf?

I would think cutting the triangles out is the easiest. The blue tint will look like the cockpit "windows" of my Bespin Cloud car model. Let me mess around and see how it looks.

Top Bottom