1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Planet Roanoke, a/k/a all SMAC'ed up

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Padmewan, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Gerikes

Gerikes User of Run-on Sentences.

Very cool idea abou the sea being exposed wiring. So, how will sea units work, if there will be any? Well, I'm sure you have some description for that. Perhaps they use the magentic fields of the exposed wire to stay afloat or something :p

And about mind-controlling the planet, if you could theoretically "control" the planet, then could you not control what terrains / etc there are? You could enter into a whole new gaming system where one you gain "control" fo the planet, perhaps you lose control over your cities / units / etc (your "mind meld" takes so much energy you have none left over to control those). The rest of your city goes into chaos (controlled by AI) and to win the game you must destroy everyone else off the planet using the abilities that you've gained now that you've mind-melded (spawning planet units, destroying improvements from tiles, causing destructive storms, etc).

Meanwhile, once one player has attained a mind-meld, the other players now have to decide whether to join forces to defeat the player (I'm not sure exactly how, since the mind-melded player doesn't have cities or units), or to create a super-weapon that will destroy the planet, as well as everything that resides on it, ending the game as a loss for everyone. Obviously, the apocalyptic ending will mean a loss for every player, while the band-together ending will either be a loss for the mind-melder and a win for the rest, or a loss for the mind-melder and the rest continue playing.

As for the moving cities, it's something that I will eventually be doing with Civcraft, so I'll probably have something fun to work with by the time Planet Roanoke is in it's later stages.

2. Padmewan

Padmewan King

Don't be so literal! :D Units can be "software" code that run around on the "Net"... bases can be data farms rather than physical presences. We can use the ocean as an alternative realm, really, a non-physical "reality" on the planet.

I haven't thought this through fully, but it's the general sense I'm running on right now.

Interesting ideas... I hadn't really taken it down the path of a violent showdown myself, but it's possible. Actually, I was thinking of going the opposite direction: some kind of galactic calamity is about to befall the planet, and the only way to save yourself (and everyone else) is to cooperate with this supermind to, e.g., erect a shield against an impending neighboring cyclical supernova.

I did have other All vs. All scenarios in mind, namely something involving Earth trying to reassert power over the planet, but you bring up an interesting option as well. I wonder how many different victory conditions we can enable and how each can work?

Even without the mind-meld I'm curious if we can do what you suggest, but with the Planet itself waging the war without the intervention of the humans... good ideas to chew on, Gerikes...

3. Zenemij

Zenemij Chieftain

awesome. i've been looking for something like this, i'll be downloading for sure.

4. jenks

jenks Prince

Zenemij, be sure to tell us what you think :)
    Welcome to the boards!

5. Padmewan

Padmewan King

Looking forward to your feedback, Zenemij -- I should warn you that we've significantly changed the mod since the original description, including pruning back to only Era 1, which we should be wrapping up shortly so we can move to Era 2.

Welcome back Jenks! How was London? :)

6. jenks

jenks Prince

:) thx was kewl ...

sadly the missus has tailed along for the trip home so still won't be hardcore Roanok-ing ... for a little bit anyway :p hehe

7. Padmewan

Padmewan King

What, is our entire team married??

8. woodelf

woodelf Bard

@erik - Did you skin any of those resources?

@jenks - Are those resources what you wanted?

@Padmewan - If you send me any concept art, send it home. No work for me next week. :D

9. jenks

jenks Prince

yeah the 'circle' graphic was pretty much exact to the picture :) all looked very kewl !
    also liking the work on the space units in ur sig ... sure we'll find a way of getting those in Roanoke ! :p

@Pad - nah not married, just sorely under the thumb :p

10. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Here's a screenie of a Colony Pod I just finished. I skinned it almost completely white, but it doesn't appear white in game. :confused: I'm not sure how important that is to you guys though.

I'll through the files in a thread in the units section.

It also looks like he needs to be bumped up in size from the crawler that was being used. To test it out I didn't edit that number.

11. tdb

tdb Warlord

Looks great. Maybe the non-whiteness is due to lighting?

12. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

What is all that blue stuff in the pic? :mischief:

13. tdb

tdb Warlord

It's the new lattice graphic.

14. woodelf

woodelf Bard

:lol:

Some good has to come from SotM Geo!

15. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Crap. I haven't messed with any lighting in 3ds max yet. I'll feel really foolish if that's the case. :blush:

16. tdb

tdb Warlord

Well, if you don't have any lighting in 3ds max, but the game has lighting (I suppose it has), that would explain the different look.

17. jenks

jenks Prince

white or off white it looks good to me pal,
    ur almost prolific in unit design now :p

18. woodelf

woodelf Bard

:) Thanks.

I'm waiting for Pad to send me some pics of the terraformer and supply crawler to work on next. Any other SMAC related units you guys have on a wishlist?

19. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Here's a quick something I whipped up for use as a Pulse Dampener. Let me know what you guys think.

20. woodelf

woodelf Bard

This time an improvement. It's supposed to be a Lattice Sea Harness, but the below the surface of the "sea" part isn't showing. It's really there! The rest involves three wind turbines and 6 solar panels.

Nevermind the one that got dropped on land. :p