1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Regiments (10+1 men formations)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by seZereth, Feb 15, 2006.

1. WRL

WRL Chieftain

Ah, thanks, I actually trial and errored it all weekend, and now I've got it fixed, pretty much, I think. So here's what I've done, I changed amount of units to 8, 5 up front, 3 in back, with the general tag, first, I know it messes up the image in civopedia, but this way the general rides out front in the middle. I really hate that circle, so what I did, was take the basic 8 + 1 idle formation and copied all the x, y coordinates and copied everything before that on the last fortify formation, I think it was for like 5 units or so, and pasted the two together and placed it at the end of the fortify lines, now on fortify they stay lined up, greatly reduces unit clutter. I changed the crusader units, I put a christian missionary unit first, then the Teutonic replaced the crusader unit art, so now I have a big golden cross leading my units of crusaders, it's really cool, it reminds me of the movie Kingdom of Heaven, so I went back and added all the religious missionary units to the front of religious units, like the mujahadein, they of course get the Islamic missionary leading them. When I tried to change the building requirement from CHRISTIAN_TEMPLE to _CHATHEDRAL, to better simulate the amount of religious fervor needed to built those powerful religious units, I get an XML error over that, got any idea's on how to fix that? For officers, typically I just used the Roman General, or cavalry, so my officer could fight back and be on horseback, but the TR mod has ethnic leader units I used where I could to match ethnicity. Now I'm testing it out ironing it out. getting all the units I missed, mopping up formations I missed, It's great with all the units, but for some reason, it takes forever to load up, in game it's running fine, but to load up and start takes like 5 minutes, don't know why, got any idea's?

2. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

@ seZ

RealMod v0.5 (Edit: 0.51) is now up. Thanks for letting me use this :).

EDIT: The link has been cut off. Sorry.

3. seZereth

seZereth FfH´s art monk(ey)

sounds good, no sorry dont know anything about this cathedral error, never digged into this area of xml ;)

and the loading time at start up should have nothing to do with formations :p
    i only know this from the ffh2 mod which doesnt use formations and from the upcoming WHFB mod, which does use formations...

i will have a look at your TR mod after you finished it ;)

4. WRL

WRL Chieftain

Thanks for the feedback, you've been such a big help, thanks for your time in helping me do this, I owe you one, if I can ever do anything for you, just ask. XML spy has been a god send, thank you, I probably couldn't have done this without that nice program. Do you know another good programs for modding, particularly one that can up load a unit image/building, display it, and allow me to mod my own unit, or something that can facilitate that better?

When I'm done ironing this out, I'll up link it here, and you can look it over, heck try it out, or if you like, copy the unitinfos, art, and formations, and I think you can just incorporate the extra units minus the rest of the mod. I really like the total realism mod, it combines nearly as much as Sevo's, but the terrain has been modified to look better as well, not to mention the much more balanced combat, with the extra units provide.

Oh, I've been getting a little ahead of myself, I saw Dales Combat Mod, the one that adds field bombardment to artillery and ships, remember the good old days when your arty actually could bombard a tile of it's resources, or units, well I've added that to it as well, no more only using arty for city walls and city walls only!!!! It allows you to keep your arty in the rear where it belongs, just have to protect it from flankers more now, but this is more realistic. I've given it nice numbers basic trebuchets, can bombard 2 tiles ahead of them, basically to clear the friendly units and strike your targets, then it grows another tile with each upgrade, ie. cannon's can bombard 3 tiles ahead, and artillery can bombard a full 4 tiles ahead, allowing a small barrage of arty before your combat arms can close for the battle, just seems more realistic to me. Hoping this all comes together nicely.

5. seZereth

modding your own units isnt hard, well at least if you practice ;) you should download the gimp (a free "photoshop-like" painting program) and the nifviewer which comes with the tools for 3dsmax 6 and 7 in the main forum, (you dont need max for that) and after that you should read the good tutorials in the tutorials section of this forum, after that you can start creating your own units, and believe me its big fun (i do that all the time, didnt play a game of civ for some month, instead i created uncountable units for ffh and whfb mod :) )

6. WRL

WRL Chieftain

I already have the gimp, I've done some photo editing, creating cool backgrounds and such, not much, I need an nif viewer I suppose, can you recommend a good one, I'm hoping for a box with a rotatable image of the unit, with buttons to change different cloths, weapons, stances, etc. etc. Plus adding animations scares me. I'll probably just use some vanilla animations the first couple of times.

BTW, things are coming along well, I've added field bombardment, which is great, you can now bombard more than just city walls, units, improvements, and your arty stays in the rear where it belongs, so you won't get those nasty stacking penalties so quick. I've also added it to naval units, so naval combat is more realistic, with barrages of cannon fire before they close for battle. I've never modded before, I'm liking it though, this stuff will extend the life of Civ for years. Anyway, most officers are on horseback, with sword type units up till musket men, then I added rifle armed calvary as their officers. And I figured out putting the musketmen on ranged only, no melee values is nice, they line up and fire volleys at each other, and the back ranks fill in the lines. It's what I was hoping for. Anythings are coming along nicely just still trying to Iron it out through a game. I'll be back soon, and when I've finished a game I'll link it up for you to scope out. Thanks for all your help BTW.

7. seZereth

well, creating your units isnt that easy... with the nifviewer you can, well what you can and cant you should read in the tutorials by rabbit white, the viewer itself can be downloaded in the 3dsmax plugin threads (its in the plugin) (sticky in the main c&c forum)... and well it is good for changing weapons and heads( thanx to Chalid), clothes etc will have to be changed in the skin(texture), otherwise you would need 3dsmax (i dont have it)....

8. Elit3

Elit3 Chieftain

how do i actually install this? dont tell me to search cuz i already have. i seen a post by someone that said "how do i install this" then he edited and said "thanks for instructions" but i cant find instructions anywhere. help

well i found em but ....

Installation:
    simply put the unzipped regiments folder into your programms/civilization4/mods/
    folder. nothing else
    This doesnt work. i even tried to install in under mydocuments/games/civ4/mods/

9. Ket

Ket Composite Of A Composite

How bad is the performance hit on this, (the stuff I've seen using it is simply amazing screen shot wise). And has anyone tried just installing it under warlords as it looks like the tags effected have not changed......

10. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

@ Elit3

To install, extract the file into '<Civ4 Install Directory>/Mods' (e.g. C:/Program Files/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Mods). Then when you load the game, click on 'Advanced' then 'Load a Mod' and pick Regiments. PM me if that doesnt work.

11. Elit3

Elit3 Chieftain

ok i will try that. ill letcha know what happens

12. dandrae

dandrae Chieftain

I want to ask for some free & fast download manager 'cos I just have dialup
    Please help me
    :sad:

13. Elit3

Elit3 Chieftain

:ar15: dialup

14. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

Hi !

I've adapted most part of this mod for myself to warlord and mixed it with a few others like RW's EDU and Teg_Navanis' Unit's Statistics. I've also added some modern units, and mixed units (infantry+tank, marine+modern armor, humvee+gunship).

I'm trying to upload it if some people are interested, here's a screenshot :

15. Harada the Grea

Harada the Grea Chieftain

I thought that it was not compatible with warlords? will it work if the tags have not changed

16. Gedemon

well that's why I adapted it ;)

17. Gr3yL3gion

Gr3yL3gion Voice of Madness

@Gedemon

I'm interested, upload it please.

Thanks

18. Gedemon

uploaded here, I'll made a specific thread tonight when I come back from work. Don't go Marathon with it, still a work in progress :)

19. Ket

Ket Composite Of A Composite

Hey guys, I'm working on a fork of a fork of a fork of this project.

Essentially I have Gedemon fork running under Warlords in my my Unreleased Unaltered Gameplay Mod... and I've done some graphical tweaks to make the units a bit larger (Just tweaked out Civ4DetailManager.xml) anyway I noticed 2 things that I cant figure out how to change.

The Pedia Graphic for the unit is often to zoomed in, it either shows inside the base unit and the Unit Statistic Picture (I just found out that it can be rotated as well as the pedia pic thats pretty cool been playing civ4 since it came out and never knew that I could drag the picture) has the picture well the Naval Units are way to zoomed in where for example the carrier I see nothing but the flight deck....

Now I know its not the Civ4DetailManager.xml change I did thats causing this as I loaded up a default civ4detailmanager based off of porges edit of it, that seems to be what most people use and it still does it.

Anyone know where I could change this to back off the zoom a bit.
    Air, is zoomed close but is ok, Naval is broken, Ground is fine.

Thanks in advance

20. Vietcong

Vietcong Deity

will this work with warlords??
    allso i whould like to have spearmen be in a phalinx formation, insted of the o from your pics.