[MOD] Regiments (10+1 men formations)

Does anyone know if things will go haywire if I try to add an extra tank/mech inf/etc. to the respective armor groups by opening the Civ4UnitInfos.xml file and changing the appropriate groupsize numbers from 1 to 2?

I love the mod, I just want more than 1 tank per "unit."

Nekkerbee said:
Does anyone know if things will go haywire if I try to add an extra tank/mech inf/etc. to the respective armor groups by opening the Civ4UnitInfos.xml file and changing the appropriate groupsize numbers from 1 to 2?

I love the mod, I just want more than 1 tank per "unit."

The manual way...

Shouldn't be a problem, I use three, look for these lines in your unitinfos.xml file under tank, of course...

<UnitMeshGroups>
<iGroupSize>3</iGroupSize>
<fMaxSpeed>1.75</fMaxSpeed>
<iMeleeWaveSize>3</iMeleeWaveSize>
<iRangedWaveSize>3</iRangedWaveSize>
<UnitMeshGroup>
*<iRequired>3</iRequired>*
<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_TANK</EarlyArtDefineTag>
</UnitMeshGroup>

Group size is the number of total units, this may be different if say you add another unitmeshgroup with the 'irequired' art tags. (see below) <iRequired> is the total number of units you'll see for the art tag listed.

To add an officer, or two different units to a 'unit' simply add another <UnitMeshGroup>

see below...

<UnitMeshGroups>
<iGroupSize>9</iGroupSize>
<fMaxSpeed>1.75</fMaxSpeed>
<iMeleeWaveSize>5</iMeleeWaveSize>
<iRangedWaveSize>3</iRangedWaveSize>
<UnitMeshGroup>
<iRequired>1</iRequired>
<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_ROMAN_GENERAL</EarlyArtDefineTag>
</UnitMeshGroup>
<UnitMeshGroup>
<iRequired>8</iRequired>
<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_ARMORED_SWORDSMAN</EarlyArtDefineTag>
</UnitMeshGroup>

</UnitMeshGroups>
Notice group size is now 9 because I added the extra mesh group, but by only only one, eight more swordsmen equal 9. Instead of the one unitmeshgroup tag for the roman general, I added a second with 8 armored swordsman behind him, now for the one swordsman, One officer rides out front, 8 soldiers follow in a formation.

Now adding more Tanks my require you to adjust down the size of the art for the 'tank' being displayed. This is purely asthetical, but you'll proably want it done to look good. This done in your assest/xml/art/artdefines_unit file. Look for the <fScale> and play around till you find a nice fit.

<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_TANK</Type>
<fScale>0.40</fScale>
<fInterfaceScale>0.9</fInterfaceScale>
<NIF>Art/Units/Tank/Tank.nif</NIF>​

Hope this helps, WRL...

Hmm looks very nice, however it did not work for me.

I followed the instructions in the first post and extracted the regiments.zip file to G:\Civilizations\Mods folder, where it now shows as G:\Civilizations\Mods\Regiments. So far so good. Then, I launched the game, went into Advanced/Load a Mod, and enabled the Regiments mod, where the game asked me to restart. Then I launched a game to test the mod and the units look the same (3-person units).

Did I miss something simple?

Also, from another artist I have the Napoleonic mod, a unit (skin) mod, will these two mods work together to give me the large + Napoleonic formations?

The first thing that came to mind is if you accidentally put a Regiments folder inside another folder. E.g. Instead of Mods/Regiments its actually Mods/Regiments v03/Regiments/ or something.
I did this with other mods, and all you need to do to fix it is move the Assets folder to the right place. I hope this helps.

Hmm as a general rule, do all mods go into the install directory of Civ, or into the My Documents directory?

EDIT: Bah frustrating.

1) What is the status of this mod? Does it work for vanilla 1.61 ?

2) What is the latest version? What is the correct link to the latest version?

3) Perhaps we need a tutorial for mod authors on how to write clear installation instructions, and proper version histories...

4) As a mod author for other games, I'd be put against a wall and shot if my mod was this difficult to try to install.

Chazcon said:
Hmm as a general rule, do all mods go into the install directory of Civ, or into the My Documents directory?

My Documents. It's not essential, but it's a good convention IMHO. If you're going to use the install location, then definitely don't use anything outside the Mods directory (with a few rare exceptions for mods that need to modify system files that can't have mirrors in CustomAssets or Mods).

It's not working for me. I put the folder in MODS in the My Docs/My Games/Civ4. The path is: My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS\Regiments

I changed the .ini file so that Mod = Regiments, and during the initial loading of files, each is preceded by [Regiments]. Yet there's still only 3 warriors/unit (2 scouts and 4 settlers, but only 3 warriors.) In World Builder I create units, and each still only has 3 characters.

I have also tried (with no success):
putting the Regiments folder in Program Files/Firaxis/Civ 4/Mods
loading the mod from within the game instead of via the .ini file
play now, scenario, custom game, and custom scenario
changing the .ini line to mod = MODS/Regiments

Nothing seems to work. To be fair, I'm assuming that I am at fault and am doing something wrong or stupid.

I'm using Vanilla Civ 4, updated to the latest patch, and using Regiments v. 03. The only .ini change was to the mods = Regiments line.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong, and provide a step-by-step way of doing it right? Sorry to be so lame, but some of us have lameness thrust upon them. I'm also old, so not as savvy as you young'uns.

Addendum: I've also tried the fix for 1.61. Still doesn't work.
Question: During loading it says [Regiments] Init XML (uncached). Do I have to clear my cache or something?
(Later) OK, I have no Cache folder to clear. I have cleared my CustomAssets folder, and still no luck.

Edit: Got it all working. Reread this thread from the start and saw where I f'd up. Lookin' good!

I figured this out and got it working. What a mess! Very nice mod though. I would use some different formations for different units, and I will make these changes when I incorporate this excellent idea into my own mod. Great job on this seZereth! But for God's sake consolidate the bug fixes into the original install folders and edit your post page with good instructions!

Now on to how to properly install it and use it:

1) Go to the first post of this thread and download 'regimentsv03.zip'

2) Extract this .zip file into your My Documents\My Games\Civilization\MODS folder. You will now have a folder under MODS name 'Regiments v03'

4) Go back to the first post of this thread and download 'FIX for version 1.61 thanks to porges'

5) Extract this .zip file to a temp directory. You will see a folder named 'Regiments' with subfolders and files.

6) Copy the subfolder 'XML' and paste it onto My Documents\My Games\Civilization\MODS\Regiments v03\Assets, overwriting five files in the existing directory.

--- Now it's installed properly! Oh my GOD! ---

Now to run it, launch Civ4 and select Advanced, Load a Mod, and select regiments v03. The game will tell you that it has to restart to load the mod. After it restarts, voila!

Alternatively, you can edit this line in your CivilizationIV.ini file as so:

; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = Regiments v03

...and the designated mod will load automatically when you launch the game.

You'll find the CivilizationIV.ini file in your My Documents\My Games\Civilization
folder.

Once you get it installed and run it, you'll see that this is a really neat mod.

Cheers

The download link for warlords doesn't work.
Could somone please fix it, i want this good looking mod!!!

I will surely make a BTS version of my mod, as I can't imagine playing a civ game without regiment since I use it for the first time ;)

Will there be a simple regiments mod coming out for BTS? I just got BTS this week and I checked out your mod Gedemon but I don't want the added units in there. :sad: Additionally, I like just throwing the formation files into my custom assets folder and just have it always be that way.

Anyone know of a way I could possibly look into updating SeZ's mod here for BTS 3.13 when it comes out?

I've tried this excellent mod and I have found two problems:

• In each regiments there is a unit that doesn't appear and is a red blob instead
  • Some units appear without buttons on the interface and have incorrect pictures (eg. Archer with Worker picture)

Also can someone please post the following files? They original links don't work anymore...

• The proper art-files inclusive mod which is compatible with patch 1.74

I'm eager to play this mod.

Details are in this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=251271

Top Bottom