[MOD] Regiments (10+1 men formations)

@Sez now that you are on the mod team for FfH2, will we see a FfH2 Regements? That would be freaking sweet!

Battles with single-image units (e.g., tank, helicopter) vs. multi-image units take extended periods of time as the tank (etc.) shoot each maceman, infantry, longbow (whatever) one by one. Marines vs. your typical foot units, OTOH, are amazingly quick.

Would it be possible when zooming in to battle (only) to have multiple tanks or have infantry accompany them (similar to artillery)? Another option would be for with each tank fire (or gunship burst) for multiple opposing figures to 'die'.

Jaybe said:
Battles with single-image units (e.g., tank, helicopter) vs. multi-image units take extended periods of time as the tank (etc.) shoot each maceman, infantry, longbow (whatever) one by one. Marines vs. your typical foot units, OTOH, are amazingly quick.

Would it be possible when zooming in to battle (only) to have multiple tanks or have infantry accompany them (similar to artillery)? Another option would be for with each tank fire (or gunship burst) for multiple opposing figures to 'die'.

Or we can have a whole lotta tanks (etc.) !

Wow, great mod, love it, thanks for sharing this info.

However, I have a problem, and I beg your assistance...

I love this mod, so much so, I've decided to venture into some modding here myself, because I normally play with the total realism mod, it adds alot all over the game, for instance, the unitinfos xml file is 1300 kb, vs the 435 or whatever of the regiments mod. I know I can just copy and paste your unitinfos and formations file in my total realism files same location and great I have a much better game. However doing so requires me to give up over 50 extra units modded in total realism. No offense what you've done is amazing, but I want to do it to those extra 50 or so units I'm losing, not only for strategic depth in gameplay, but I have to hit enter 50 times at the load of each game as it reminds me these units are no longer coded. So I've been doing some playing around, trying to pinpoint exactly how you...

A. lower the size of the forces. This one I haven't figured out.

I've figured out
<iGroupSize>11</iGroupSize> sets the amount of units shown...

<iMeleeWaveSize>3</iMeleeWaveSize> I assume this controls the amount of intial forces that meet for combat???

<iRangedWaveSize>0</iRangedWaveSize> same as above but for ranged units??? But I noticed marines have there's in melee, are firearms not coded as ranged???

<iRequired>3</iRequired> What does this control???

B. I'm lost on the formations part, I don't like the default circle formation, I'm hoping I can copy and paste your formationinfos into my TR file, and be done with it, as yours seems to cover all the basic units in the game. however that code is all over the place when I try and edit it. So I guess my question is, are the formations codes generic, *fingers crossed* as in a generic code for all swordsmen types, that would cover the 5 different swordsmen units in TR?

If not, what are the exact lines needed to change the different formations, and what might those codes be.

Please help me, It's going to take awhile for me trial and error this, with many complete restarts, already has...

WRL said:
Wow, great mod, love it, thanks for sharing this info.

However, I have a problem, and I beg your assistance...

I love this mod, so much so, I've decided to venture into some modding here myself, because I normally play with the total realism mod, it adds alot all over the game, for instance, the unitinfos xml file is 1300 kb, vs the 435 or whatever of the regiments mod. I know I can just copy and paste your unitinfos and formations file in my total realism files same location and great I have a much better game. However doing so requires me to give up over 50 extra units modded in total realism. No offense what you've done is amazing, but I want to do it to those extra 50 or so units I'm losing, not only for strategic depth in gameplay, but I have to hit enter 50 times at the load of each game as it reminds me these units are no longer coded. So I've been doing some playing around, trying to pinpoint exactly how you...

A. lower the size of the forces. This one I haven't figured out.

I've figured out
<iGroupSize>11</iGroupSize> sets the amount of units shown...

<iMeleeWaveSize>3</iMeleeWaveSize> I assume this controls the amount of intial forces that meet for combat???

<iRangedWaveSize>0</iRangedWaveSize> same as above but for ranged units??? But I noticed marines have there's in melee, are firearms not coded as ranged???

<iRequired>3</iRequired> What does this control???

B. I'm lost on the formations part, I don't like the default circle formation, I'm hoping I can copy and paste your formationinfos into my TR file, and be done with it, as yours seems to cover all the basic units in the game. however that code is all over the place when I try and edit it. So I guess my question is, are the formations codes generic, *fingers crossed* as in a generic code for all swordsmen types, that would cover the 5 different swordsmen units in TR?

If not, what are the exact lines needed to change the different formations, and what might those codes be.

Please help me, It's going to take awhile for me trial and error this, with many complete restarts, already has...

nice to hear that you are willing to convert the total realism mod to regiments ;) well i had to add about 100 units to the formation file for the warhammer fb mod (with completely new formations (no more standard circle, but half circle and other stuf for fortify....) which you might be interested in :) )
So first i want to make you aware of a program called xmlspy by altova, you can get a free version of this on their website (just google it).. this will make xml editing sooo much easier as you get a clear structure into your xml files and by this you can read the formations very very easily....

<iMeleeWaveSize>3</iMeleeWaveSize> this sets the amount of units battling each other at one time... so if you set it to 10, you will get a 10vs10 fight, if you set it to 1, you will see a series of duells ;)

<iRangedWaveSize>0</iRangedWaveSize> same as above but for ranged units... no idea what the marine issue is, as i never played longer than middle ages...

<iRequired>3</iRequired> is the amount of one unit art (model) in the whole regiment, so if you want to have an officer, you set it to 1 and add another Mesh with the normal soldiers art set to 10 requiered (if you want 10+1 formations)

So my suggestion would be, i will give you my reworked formations file, where i will add the vanilla units, and you will take the longer part, and add each of the 5 different swordsmen exactly where the vanilla swordsman is in the formation... (with xml spy it is extremely easy, as you can simply replace X by X Y and such add simply Y (the other swordsman) behind X (the vanilla one) without "replacing/deleting" X, then you hit replace again and replace X with X Z resulting in the addition of Z to X Z Y ... and by such you will have your swordsmen everywhere where your vanilla one is...

The problem is i dont have the new clean formations file with me and have no internet at home so it could take some time (perhaps until tomorrow) until i can upload it... perhaps you start downloading xmlspy, get used to it and then you start changing your unitinfo ( and set the unit sizes to 10(9+1) for melee and 9 (8+1) for archers, and set the officer to the last possition ( i mean first you have the meshgroup with the standard soldiers <iRequired>9</iRequired> and under that the mesh for the officer <iRequired>1</iRequired>... by this you wont have the officer shown in the pedia when clicking the regiment (cause in the new formations the officers has the last x,y coordinates... (thats if you want to have an officer at all otherwise set the first requiered to 10)

and when you are done with everything you can upload it and by this extend the fun for many more people ;)

I'm just did the hard work and manually changed the file, I hope, take a look...

Ok so I just went through and changed all the units in the total realism unitinfos.xml file as...

<Class>UNITCLASS_SWORDSMAN</Class>
<Type>UNIT_ARMORED_SWORDSMAN</Type>

<UnitMeshGroups>
<iGroupSize>11</iGroupSize>
<fMaxSpeed>1.75</fMaxSpeed>
<iMeleeWaveSize>5</iMeleeWaveSize>
<iRangedWaveSize>0</iRangedWaveSize>
<UnitMeshGroup>
<iRequired>1</iRequired>
<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_ROME_PRAETORIAN</EarlyArtDefineTag>
</UnitMeshGroup>
<UnitMeshGroup>
<iRequired>10</iRequired>
<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_ARMORED_SWORDSMAN</EarlyArtDefineTag>
</UnitMeshGroup>

Do I have this correct for adding the officers? So, to the fun part I bet, can I just copy and paste your formationsinfos xml as a general guide for the different units, ie all swordsmen follow this formation, or do I have to go into the formations xml to edit each one. I'm thinking and hoping that it's a general rule thing, as your formations folder is a larger file than TR's.

thanks for all your help.

well I got errors loading the xml part

it referenced this...

F<?xml version="1.0"?>

It's the first line in the unitinfos file.

I may have made a mistake and erased a < or > somewhere, I'll have to check later though. I really want this to work, *sigh*

WRL said:
well I got errors loading the xml part

it referenced this...

F<?xml version="1.0"?>

It's the first line in the unitinfos file.

I may have made a mistake and erased a < or > somewhere, I'll have to check later though. I really want this to work, *sigh*

well, i think it has to be

<Class>UNITCLASS_SWORDSMAN</Class>
<Type>UNIT_ARMORED_SWORDSMAN</Type>

<UnitMeshGroups>
<iGroupSize>11</iGroupSize>
<fMaxSpeed>1.75</fMaxSpeed>
<iMeleeWaveSize>5</iMeleeWaveSize>
<iRangedWaveSize>0</iRangedWaveSize>
<UnitMeshGroup>
<iRequired>1</iRequired>
<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_ROME_PRAETORIAN< /EarlyArtDefineTag>
</UnitMeshGroup>
<UnitMeshGroup>
<iRequired>10</iRequired>
<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_ARMORED_SWORDSMAN</EarlyArtDefineTag>
</UnitMeshGroup>
</UnitMeshGroups>

if you have this in your info, then you will have to check for any < or >,
if you dont have the errorlog or debuglog or somthing in your civdirectory activated yet, i think you can activate a debuglog file which shows you the correct reference , in the civilization.ini

no idea where the error is, it seems ok so far

Hey I have a few questions for you...

1. what unitinfos code actually changes unit size?

2. I downloaded the xmlspy program, I like the color coding, makes it easier to read, however whenever I try and run the debug, or validate, I get an error message that basicly gives the file name, and unitinfo's.xml is not well formed, xml document expected? Got any ideas on this one? I've found I put a few group size 11, required 10, before I realized the extra unit was the officer. Still checking to see if I missed a > or < anywhere. Btw, if i just copy your officers art folder, and paste it appropriately in my TR file, will that then give me access to your officers in the units?

This may have been asked already, but will you be converting your mod for use with warlords? I mean I could do it, but if you were/are already planning it then i dont want to double up the work.

Kushan

well I added all the extra characters in the total realism mod, still having a problem with formations and size. I don't like the circle my units are making.

two questions...

How do you change the size of the units?

What guide lines should I follow on setting the formations?

Kushan said:
This may have been asked already, but will you be converting your mod for use with warlords? I mean I could do it, but if you were/are already planning it then i dont want to double up the work.

Kushan

feel free to do so, i dont consider buying warlords soon :p

i would suggest you all use Porges Custom assets zip to get the formation file in there, it includes some more formations to use and you can get rid of the circles.

I will cooperate with Rabbit white to brign out the Ethnically diverse units mod with formations, so you will have to wait a bit if you want my new formations file ;) (i think one or 2 days)

[qoute]
two questions...

How do you change the size of the units?

What guide lines should I follow on setting the formations?[/quote]

size of units is set in the <iGroupSize>11</iGroupSize>
and the formations, well if you use porges one, he added some ccomments, writing which formation is for whom and so on, you should give the line as a fortify animation to melee units, the circles to archer and spears and the square as idle formation, thats what i did.

For every unitsize you need to define the x,y position for every unit in the regiment, so if you need to create a circle with 7, you will have to copy paste the one with 8 and delete one position, this is the easy way, or you imagine a coordinate system and figure out new positions :p

well, best is you try around and learn by doing... or you wait until i released the EDU regiments...

WRL said:
Btw, if i just copy your officers art folder, and paste it appropriately in my TR file, will that then give me access to your officers in the units?

well yes you will have to change the artdefines too ;)

Hello it's me again. Well Porges Custom assets zip was a big help, thanks... Fixed a good bit of my problems, just not all of them.

I'm pretty new to this modding thing, so I pretty much gave up and pasted Porges customs assets formations file into my TR file. So, so far I've added all the extra units to the TR units, used Proges custom assets to get a good bit of them into formations, now I'd like to adjust the size of the units, not in how many people make up a unit, but in the height of the unit on the map. How do I do that? And making sense of the formations file is difficult. What is it exactly that I need to do with this file to change the formations of the units? I've also gone through and added officers throughout. Thanks for all your help, just a little more and I think I'll have this done, and we can upload it or whatever for others...

i can't get the file from filegone
it's say SQL error
:cry:
BTW, i'm new member
Edit: I have download it(sorry for don't see the note)
:confused: ,it's great

Hello again, I just started pasting the crusader name in the formations file everywhere I saw the swordsman, it's the formation I was looking for and I think I've solved that problem, as when the crusaders move now, it's in a rowed formation, with a christian missionary unit in the middle behind them, I liked that little touch. That's what I was after with that unit, so I think I can work with the others now. But I'm still having problems with all my units in that circle formation, when they are put into sentry, or dig in/ fortify. I'd rather them stay in a rowed formation, so things are not so cluttered.

Can you help me on which formation takes them out of the circle formation, I saw the swordsmen in every fortify selection on the xml formations file, so do I have to narrow it to just one of those formations columns, or is there even a way to get them out of the circle formation in fortify?

Please help, I'm almost there...

Hi I installed this mod, it looks great! However I don't get the "formations", all I have is one tiny unit for all the units. :( Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Sounds like you have Single Unit Graphics on (Options: Graphics tab), Hammuarbi.

ok, hi guys sorry for no update, i am very busy with everything else...

so your questions:
@NikNaks93: use it for every mod you want, just give me credits somewhere ;)

@WRL: unit hieght is actually defined in the unitartdefines.xml, you can change it there by hand for every unit or you download civscale somewhere in the utilities section i think and go the easy way ;)

and the formationfile does the following, it has x and y coordinates for a formation, which is used by a unit with the exact amount of "soldiers" in a meshgroup as positions in formation, so you need for 1 swordsman a formation with 1 x,y coordinate, for 2 swordsmen 2x,y coordinates, etc... and then you can add the units which should use the formation and the situation in which this formation is used, thats the event_fortify, event_sentry, event_idle thingy... so if your swordsmen still create circles when doing a specific task, then you did one of the upper mentioned things wrong
(-meshgroup amount in unitinfo.xml not matching the number of x,y coordinates in the formationsinfo
-unitsname isnt in the formation
-formation doesnt have the specific event)

well hope this explains it a bit better... if not, go on asking ;)

Top Bottom