[MODCOMP]Nationalism

Fullerene

Warlord
So, I finally got my hands dirty on modding civ4:col :)

This is simple mod component that adds new attribute to units: a nationality.

Every unit has a national identity and there's also a hidden variable that indicates how strong the national identity is for the unit. Statesmen try to convert the citizens to their own nationality. For example you can try to convert Apache converts to English identity.

How it works?
In this mod comp the Statesmen have extra function. They do not only accumulate liberty bells, they also spread nationalistic propaganda, trying to convert other units with other nationality and strengthen the national identity of units of the same nationality. The hidden variable stores the strength of national identity (max 100). If statesman has same nationality than the unit, the national identity rises. If nationality is different, the identity gets weaker. If identity goes below zero, the unit converts to the statesman's nationality.

What does nationality do?
Not much yet. But if the unit has same nationality than the player civ is (it usually has), the unit works bit harder. (If profession output is at least 4, it gives +1 to output.)

Notes
I didn't test this too much, but it seems to work as intended. Also, it isn't very interesting as standalone modcomp but I have further modding plans where I'm going to use the nationalities for more interesting features.

DLL sources are included.

Attachments

• Nationalism.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 254
This is simple mod component that adds new attribute to units: a nationality.

What does nationality do?
Not much yet. But if the unit has same nationality than the player civ is (it usually has), the unit works bit harder. (If profession output is at least 4, it gives +1 to output.)

I'm not sure about extra profession output. To my opinion a military strength of the unit should be first of all strictly related on this unit the nationality: stronger national identity -> stronger military strength and vice versa. Something like "¡Patria o Muerte!"

I'm not sure about extra profession output. To my opinion a military strength of the unit should be first of all strictly related on this unit the nationality: stronger national identity -> stronger military strength and vice versa. Something like "¡Patria o Muerte!"

Yes, better military performance makes more sense. I might change it to that for next version. However, I have plans for bigger mod where this modcomp would be included.
Units would have also more character, like religion, health and maybe even political views.

I'm planning sort of 'Nationalism and Imperialism' mod that takes place in about 1800-1950.

Hmnn, just a minor idea, but have you thought about giving a mil unit a minor bonus while fighting in it's own territory? would make sense with your concept here.

One idea is to instead make it a penalty when a unit of one nationality works for another civilization, to represent difficulties in administering people of different nationalities (because of language issues, etc.).

Top Bottom