Modding Late Game Government Options

Fergei

Warlord
Has anyone found a way to help the AI out of it's late game war obsession and avoidance of governments with any war weariness?

This excellent thread suggests doubling the luxury output of entertainers as a possible solution (also in part to compensate the AIs lack of use of the luxury slider). Does that work?

I'm currently experimenting with late game government options but I don't want every AI to abandon Communism/Fascism/Monarchy completely in the late game so it's a very delicate balance.

Moderator Action: Post moved from S&Ts. ~ LK

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone found a way to help the AI out of it's late game war obsession and avoidance of governments with any war weariness?
If you want to mitigate the occurrence of mid-/late-game multi-AI wars, then (I've said this before, I think? ;) ) you might want to consider moving MPPs to a (much) later tech (I chose Fission, by which time there are usually fewer surviving AIs available to sign mutually antagonistic MPPs with one another!).

Or simply remove MPPs from the game altogether.
This excellent thread suggests doubling the luxury output of entertainers as a possible solution (also in part to compensate the AIs lack of use of the luxury slider). Does that work?
It would certainly reduce the number of Clowns that the AI 'needs' to employ in its unhappy towns, so they won't start starving quite so quickly.
I'm currently experimenting with late game government options but I don't want every AI to abandon Communism/Fascism/Monarchy completely in the late game so it's a very delicate balance.
The main problem with the late-game govs is that, after a long war has driven WW too high for Rep/Demo, the AI always tends to choose Fascism over Communism, even if it knows both techs — and even though Fascism tends to result in a spectacular implosion.

The way I see it, an AI with a large Empire should rather go Commie, whereas only AIs with small empires should maybe go Fascist, or (preferably?) stay in Monarchy.

To encourage a large AI to go Commie rather than Fascist, you might want to increase Fascist (distance) corruption to "Problematic" (which the AI regards as worse than "Communal") — but maybe give Fascism the Commerce-bonus (and/or the SPHQ) to compensate (NB in my mod, the Forbidden Palace now only functions under Monarchy!).

Reducing the free-unit support for Fascist settlements (from 4/7/10 in the base-game), and/or altering the unit-support for Commie (from 6/6/6, though I've never understood why), to e.g. 3/6/9 for both govs might also be an option.

And to stop the Fascist/Communist AI from killing itself by whipping/drafting away all its pop-points if/when it starts losing its wars, you might want to reduce the draft-limits from 2 to 1, and/or change one or both govs to (also) hurry with gold instead of pop-points (but possibly give Communism "Forced resettlement" as well, to penalise the initial revolution).

Last edited:
Excellent, thank you. Yes, I struggle to see the value of MPPs from a gaming sense when the Ai struggles to use them correctly and it actively encourages war. I think removing them is probably the best option and it couldn't be considered as me nerfing the AI.

I think I also need self discipline on how many wars I can instigate in a game. By late game I've usually caught up with or slightly overtaken most of the AI and can war too easily (whereas early on this is difficult). I'll try to limit myself to 2 or 3 per era.

I'll see if the above 2 options plus entertainer buff do enough before switching draft limit. I imagine unit support will leave the AI 'locked' out of Republic and Democracy and I'll need to do this to draft and consider a further late game government with a trade bonus.

I've identified an AI uptake of Fascism/Communist with a near 50/50 split can be achieved with unit support in the region of 3/4/5 and 6/6/7 respectively, so I think that's the one element I'm actually happy with.

If you want to mitigate the occurrence of mid-/late-game multi-AI wars, then (I've said this before, I think? ;) ) you might want to consider moving MPPs to a (much) later tech (I chose Fission, by which time there are usually fewer surviving AIs available to sign mutually antagonistic MPPs with one another!).

Or simply remove MPPs from the game altogether.
In my experience, MPPs are never the issue. It's the diplo action to call another civ into a war against your current enemy that the AI (with its AI-to-AI trade factor) loves to use basically starting from the start of the game. One more issue is their complete disregard for geographic distance, so for example on a world map the incas will gladly aid the zulu in their war against the mongolians and the vikings. And once enough AIs are at war, it becomes a never ending circle of war declarations.

Possibly a solution is to reduce AI aggressiveness, perhaps that may make them less likely to join wars or better yet start wars, although on higher difficulties having the AI war on each other is pretty important to allow the player to catch up. Ultimately with MPP the problem is the AI makes wars pretty much at random and with absolutely no strategic consideration, something simple like AI choosing balancing or bandwagoning against the most powerful civ based on its power score would be a huge improvement.

Concerning governments I aim to use the flavor tags to steer the AI away from certain government techs but I haven't tested this yet. Probably making government techs untradeable will also need to be added to this.

Possibly a solution is to reduce AI aggressiveness, perhaps that may make them less likely to join wars or better yet start wars, although on higher difficulties having the AI war on each other is pretty important to allow the player to catch up. Ultimately with MPP the problem is the AI makes wars pretty much at random and with absolutely no strategic consideration, something simple like AI choosing balancing or bandwagoning against the most powerful civ based on its power score would be a huge improvement.

Concerning governments I aim to use the flavor tags to steer the AI away from certain government techs but I haven't tested this yet. Probably making government techs untradeable will also need to be added to this.
Probably the best way to check if changing the aggression level makes the AI less likely to start wars is set up a map in the editor, assign starting locations to the AI civilizations that you want to test, and then play two games with the AI settings to maximum aggressiveness and then minimum aggressiveness. You play the same civilization in both games. That way, the only variable is the AI aggressiveness.

I feel like I'm running around playing catch up in a couple of similar posts - because I am :hammer2:.

All the information you seek was (I think) discovered, long ago, using the Scienterrific Method.

:D
I found these fragments of a Codex in the ruins of the Great Library; they might be of help -
These settings have effect on the AI government choice:

- Favorite government
- Shunned government
- Military Police Limit
- Unit Support (cost per unit, free units and support per city *combined* - the AI makes a calculation based on the number of units and settlements owned to determine the best option)
- Corruption (Minimal > Nuisance > Communal > Problematic > Rampant > Catastrophic; it doesn't seem that the AI makes any calculations here, it won't choose Communal over Nuisance even with 50 cities on a standard map)
- War Weariness (if at war)
- Standard Tile Penalty (avoided)
- Standard Trade Bonus (highly valued)

These settings have NO effect on the AI government choice:

- Rate Cap
- Worker Rate
- Assimilation Chance
- Draft Limit
- Hurry Method
- War Weariness (if at peace)
- Xenophobic and Forced Resettlement
- Resistance Modifiers
- Espionage (Diplomats, Spies, Immune to... etc.)
- Government-specific improvements and wonders

Top Bottom