Modern Unit Graphics

I served my time along with the likes of Tanelorn when it comes to making MGE units 10 or 15 years ago; I guess they are all gone now as they were posted at Apolyton on the original Scenario League which appears to be a shadow of its former self....

All of the remaining scenario designers from the MGE days have long since switched to ToT: Techumseh, Curtsibling, John Petroski along with 'newer' (ie last 10 years :) ) talented designers like Tootall and McMonkey. Have you given ToT a try? Once spruced up using Catfish's graphic modpacks and ToTPP it's a huge improvement over civ2 mge.

I agree that once modded ToT is superior in terms of graphics....but the base graphics stink.

And linux won't run ToTPP otherwise I would probably forget MGE exists. ToT is kind of a strange beast as it has no map editor. It's like a weird control issue that they gave up on with Civ 3. I played Civ 3 constantly from when it first came out until two years ago. That is highly unusual. How many game are compelling for 15 years?

I am sure wives and girlfriends hate Civ 2 and Civ 3. "Honey, are you ever coming to bed?"
"Just one more turn...I think I have the unit attributes set perfectly now...".

The huge loss of Civ content makes me nauseous. People spent enormous amounts of time to emulate geography and military units and then for it to be carelessly eliminated. Yikes. The Internet Archive would probably store mods and scenario so that never happens again.

I wish some graphic designer would make a realistic people.gif. One vietcong scenario tried to. Cartoon versions of minorities look extremely distasteful. One had Jane Fonda as the dissenter which was very funny.

Last edited:
I wish some graphic designer would make a realistic people.gif. One vietcong scenario tried to. Cartoon versions of minorities look extremely distasteful. One had Jane Fonda as the dissenter which was very funny.

That would be my old Vietcong scenario. As I recall, I had Richard and Pat Nixon as the rich people, Darrin and Samantha from 'Bewitched' as the contented people, Jane Fonda and Abbie Hoffman as the unhappy people, and Bob Hope as the entertainer. I didn't take myself quite so seriously in those days. :p

That would be my old Vietcong scenario. As I recall, I had Richard and Pat Nixon as the rich people, Darrin and Samantha from 'Bewitched' as the contented people, Jane Fonda and Abbie Hoffman as the unhappy people, and Bob Hope as the entertainer. I didn't take myself quite so seriously in those days. :p
Well, it was clever.

The best one so far is the Mongol scenario's people.gif. These look very authentic to the historical period but the designer cloned features to reduce their workload

There are many ToT scenarios I would like to try like Red October, early pre-WW2 scenarios, a very complicated scripted WW2 scenario from 1941-1945, etc.

The latest Korean War scenario sounds interesting but many of the latest ones are built upon ToTPP so I am screwed as that won't run.

Believe it or not, I have tried seven browsers because civfanatics crashes on my tablet whereas that is very very rare. The screen will blank out in white.

I tried Chrome, Firefox, UC, Dolphin, Opera mini, Opera, and now on Apus it crashed and I tried two other offbrand browser that hung up in the login widget.

Now I am back to Chrome.

Yeah, your art is everywhere. You all have been very prolific with diverse realistic units. It's too bad that you couldn't have sold these as DLC to whoever owned the franchise at the time....as your work was superior to the artists who got paid.

So Techumseh, your website is down. You know this, right?

There are several dead links to scenarios in the scenario league section.

Last edited:
If anyone knows of a MGE compatible unit for a Predator drone, please point me in the right direction. It the only one I am missing for a generic UNITS.gif that I want to provide as a resource for the community. I have scoured at least twenty mods and scenarios to do this. Baring that, I will make it a spy satellite as I have a graphic for that.

It is easy to find USA units in the modern age but not high quality MGE compatible Russian and Chinese units. I want to add those as a special modern age UNITS.gif as well for a resource. I am going to strip out all of the older units from prior ages, and then add as many as I can reasonably place into a MGE UNITS.gif. Some of the America 2013 units are Chinese. There are some which I could use from a WW3 scenario but they are standard lower quality MGE units not converted ToT.

Then the plan is to populate a global map with the maximum number of cities (255)with some infrastructure and some units in fortresses and airbases to simulate current world conditions. I think people would really enjoy this versus starting from scratch in 4000 BC. It would be a turnkey scenario which others could build upon.

And if that works, then I would do the same for ToT.

The Enduring Freedom scenario has all modern units but is not fully populated if anyone is trying accomplish the same goal.

The Cold War Crisis scenario accomplishes the goal, but has units appropriate to the Cuban Missile Crisis era ie very dated versus 2018.

Last edited:
Fairline's predator converts nicely. Also some MGE-ified huey's 'cause the predator seemed lonely by itself....
MGEficationisms.PNG

Fairline's predator converts nicely. Also some MGE-ified huey's 'cause the predator seemed lonely by itself....
View attachment 485741
Thank you so much. That was very kind.

I found a similar one in either the Dragon scenario (which kicks out on an event error as it's processed) or the New World Order scenario.

Now I have a fully populated 4000 BC - present day UNITS.gif after weeks of looking. I am stoked!

And by cobbling together the Dragon and New World Order files, the tech advancements are done, the map is the same, the units will all be present day, etc. This is a perfect day. I have wanted a Civ 2 scenario like this since Civ 2 first came out...eons ago.

Now I have to study how to put all of the events I want in play.

What an awesome day this is turning out to be.

Last edited:
Of course I don't know your financial position or preferences for hardware, but I managed to pick up an ex-commercial reconditioned laptop a few years ago, primarily to play Civ2 & ToT on night shifts at work. It cost me around £80 and has worked perfectly. Civ2 does not require a powerful CPU or fancy graphics cards so any old PC or laptop will run it. I would expect it would be possible to pick up an even cheaper laptop on e-bay if you were willing to participate in the online auctions. No need to spend £300+ on a Windows 10 wafer thin, shiny new machine to play a game from another century :)

Another job for a friend: her RP character, a Walloon sniper and in one story the President of France. Used Tanelorn's Cold War Belgian infantry as the base, shooped in some custom kit, and did the rough approximation of a SCAR-H and P90 myself, latter of which might be a little long since I didn't have a ready reference.

Last edited:

Another job for a friend: her RP character, a Walloon sniper and in one story the President of France. Used Tanelorn's Cold War Belgian infantry as the base, shooped in some custom kit, and did the rough approximation of a SCAR-H and P90 myself, latter of which might be a little long since I didn't have a ready reference.
Is this like a "La Femme Nikita" type RP character?

That I'm not sure, but I can ask. :p

Am Yvette's creator.

Never heard of the tv show or film it was based off of before (literally had to have Thor show me its wiki page). Reference is lost to me. so maybe? IDK, got to tell me what you mean by it
I was referring moreso to a spy-fi lead character who was a singular female heroine (not a "sidekick" like in the Avengers - the old spy series, not the comics), or the male dominated roles like James Bond, the Mission Impossible movies (as opposed to the team-based original TV series), Man From Uncle, etc., but still possessing the full competence, abilities, spy-world-connections, willpower and moxie of the typical male leads of the genre.

I was referring moreso to a spy-fi lead character who was a singular female heroine (not a "sidekick" like in the Avengers - the old spy series, not the comics), or the male dominated roles like James Bond, the Mission Impossible movies (as opposed to the team-based original TV series), Man From Uncle, etc., but still possessing the full competence, abilities, spy-world-connections, willpower and moxie of the typical male leads of the genre.

Ah, ok.

Well, there's been quite a few games where I used her. In the original game I used her in, she wasn't a singular hero, but part of a UN taskforce (with her squadmates being the other players of the game, it was a online tabletop campaign not unlike a modern day D&D, complete with mutants, clones, and aliens). In the squad, she was one of the designated marksmen, focusing on a stealth/guerrilla build (with the other sniper instead especializing in pure combat and explosive use). It was a fun campaign, and I still like to throw references to it in other deceptions of Yvette, primary by porting another PC that I had a romantic sideplot with to be a character in his own right (used with permission, of course).

In subsequent games, that does sound closer to the way I deceipted her backstory (I tended to gloss over the time of her being an actual spec ops soldier more for her political career afterwards, because the games I play nowadays are mostly geopolitical simulators than anything else.). She was a solo agent with a specialization in infiltrating enemy areas and assassinating high value targets. I would probably tie my conceptualization of her closer to something like Sam Fisher or Solid Snake (or perhaps even more accurately, Sniper Wolf from the latter's series :mischief:), because I grew up on those kind of video games more than the classic spy films and serials. Showing my age here, I know :p

That being said, as a woman, I just like making female characters. It just so happens the media I like is traditionally male-dominated; it's not really my intent to go around and deconstruct the tropes that creates the assumptions of what it means to be a main character. I just want a character that matches my gender. :p

Which tabletop game, if I may ask? I've been playing, GMing, and world creating for many, many titles of them (and know quite a bit about many others I haven't played or touched) as a hobby for almost 30 years...

Which tabletop game, if I may ask? I've been playing, GMing, and world creating for many, many titles of them (and know quite a bit about many others I haven't played or touched) as a hobby for almost 30 years...

It was a Homebrew game. Completely self-made mechanics and setting. Was very blackboxed from the players so I wouldn't know how to recreate it

Just so you know, the Drunken highway pirate uses the cruise missile flag.(He attacks by crashing into an enemy and exploding in a gasoline and alcohol fueled explosion):mischief:

Top Bottom