1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern warfare

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lynx, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Lynx

Lynx Chieftain

In addition to the carpet dropping idea, you need to have at least 75 para's for the best results.

2. Lynx

Lynx Chieftain

And you have to have big groups of them...

3. planetfall

planetfall Chieftain

Boring but hard to defeat:

1. Prior to tanks/MA build infantry and increase production capability {this will be for military units soon}

2. prior to war build military academy and have
    4-8 leader only armies ready to go.

3. After you have about 10 armor units, you can
    start loading armies.

4. After armor, build ratio something like this:
    in core cities
    improvement 10%, armor 80%, inf/art 10%

in other cities
    improvement 90%, inf/art 10%

5. Only change in above is change armor to navy/air if you need to do a landing. Minimum needed if AI has average navy:
    5 transports
    3 carriers
    12 jets
    3 bombers
    6 BS
    6 DS or BS
    1 SSN

6. City attack order:
    normal unit {inf/mech} -- tank/MA
    elite unit {inf/mech} -- army of 4 tanks/MA
    If mechs, use art 1st before army.
    If inf, army will do it but better if art/bomb first as typically full strenth tank army will drop to 1..4 HP. Occassionally will lose an army.
    Carefully watch terrain bonuses.

elite unit {not inf/mech} -- tank/MA

Most tanks get wounded but not lost. Only lose 1..2 per 12+ city.

Use wounded armor and inf to pacify captured city. Move armor back to frontline after recapture city.

Ok, why use tank armies. Tired of 1) waiting forever for art/bombers to weaken city, and 2) lose too many tanks if used singularly. It is not unusual for elite inf to take out 2..3 tanks before it turns black. With armies, units are red but still alive and can be rebuild. Basically play leaf frog with tank armies. Attack--red status--recover to full strength-- repeat, repeat.

7. If playing PTW, knock out those radar towers before you lose too many units.

== PF

4. Lynx

Lynx Chieftain

But you always need an alternate plan, what if you dont get armies so easily?

5. hbdragon88

hbdragon88 haunted by blackness

I have found using tank armies extremely frustrating, because of how hard it is to take over cities. They also heal very slowly, taking quite a few turns to be fully healed. And they at most kill one to two defenders at a time.

Alternate plan: liquidate cities with radar artillery and/or cruise missles, then run over them easily. That is pretty easy, and better for those who don't get leaders.

6. Lynx

Lynx Chieftain

Agreed, tank armies suck.

7. Woody

Woody General

By the time you produce, move into postion, and use all those cruise missles and artillery. My modern armor armies will have the enemy completley eliminated.

8. planetfall

planetfall Chieftain

Alternate plan:
    1. takes longer to play
    2. requires more defensive units (to protect the RA and captured city)
    3. allows AI to drag out warfare by giving more time to build/rush military.

Don't get leaders? You only need one. After the first build army. With this first army and attach either a wounded unit, warrior or archer. You want to guarantee a win. Once the army has one you can build the military academy.

Takes too long with tank armies? Why, are you only using 1..2 armies? By the time you get to the modern age you should have 12-16 armies and the pentagon. Then it is your choice:

Tank Squad A-- attack, 4 armies of 4 tanks
    Either A) one large powerful city with all 4 armies, or B) 2 average cities with 2 armies each.

Tank Squad B-- move in position for attack next turn
    Tank Squad C-- healing in barracks
    Tank Squad D-- healing in barracks.

You will have RR so each turn you can wipe out 3-4 strong defenders {elite infantry or mechs}. The rest just keep rolling.
    Turn X, attack with Squad A
    Turn X+1, attack with Squad B
    Turn X+2, attack with Squad C
    Turn X+3, attach with Squad D
    Loop as many times as you need.

My guess is your problem with tank armies is you don't have enough of them. This method works well with my standard preference. I have a 2 HP separation between veteran and elite with the idea that elite status is 1) gained in battle , and 2) is a difference in ability like the difference between conscript and veteran. Come to think about it, I don't really use tank armies. I use MA armies. We are talking about a lot of MA before I start the modern war:

about 60 in 16 armies, Maybe 2 of these armies are old tank armies. Rest are MA armies.

About 80 free MA/tanks for hitting regular units.

I don't always wait for the full build up before I start the modern war. Often I will start modern war with only 3 armies and create the rest during the campaign. Keys to being effective are really really simple:

1. from creation of first Leader create army. Put Military Academy in city with high production. Be pumping out new army every 4 turns when you hit modern era. Before modern, put army general aside and Freeze him. Let him study. You don't want to give him cav's when you can give him MA's.
    {Some over at poly recommend changing Military Academy's requirements so leader is not required. Player1 and others.}

2. your military production war machine must be ready to A) pump out more units than AI, and B) have all happiness/production improvements in core cities completed before start modern campaign. {Well with the exception of manu plant. First build nuke power and then MA. A good goal is to be able to have 6-12 MA's come on line each turn. This means you need 12 excellent war production cities that can pump out a new MA in 1-2 turns.}

More questions?

== PF

9. hbdragon88

hbdragon88 haunted by blackness

One, I'm not big on cities. In one mod, you could build a military academy w/o a victorious army, but armies cost more to build to balance that out. In that, I only had 4 armies, and then 6 when I conqered France, starkly less than 12-16.

Yeah, Player1 was a player who tweaked the game and the Civ3.com site has his mod on it.

The 4-5 army thing hinders my progress, I guess that's why armies aren't effective for me. Everything has to be in mass number, everything...

I like the idea, and I might use it when I have the chance.

10. Lynx

Lynx Chieftain

yeah, i got a bug that i must always have a designated number of units. 5,10,25,50,75,100, etc...

11. antimatter

antimatter Chieftain

heheh i don't have that bug but however i got this bug, i must have 100+ unit in each catalogory before i even consder war :)

i often average 300-600 units per war heh then again almost all of my war are in the late peroids after you get modern armor and mech infanty, and a majority of them are ICBM and Tatical Nukes, when i go to war i often nuke every single civ cities multiple time, best time to do this is right before they get the intereged defense cos after that then u will need what 125% more units to get though those darn defense.

*shungs* i personaly love war of obscute proporation, i always have a obscute amount of units ready to invade every single nation in the game, its actualy quite funny to watch 8 or 9 nation within a few turn vanish from the map :)

its on regant btw. probably will go to monarchy soon.

12. Lynx

Lynx Chieftain

I like modern wars too...which is why i wrote this article here and posted it for the world to see. hehe:D

13. antimatter

antimatter Chieftain

heh i actualy rarely ever use or need artillery, often when i go to war its the end game war :) which mean nuke time. its ammazing how a couple of well placed nuke can turn the whole game.

A good example was in this game, an isle syle game, but anyway what i did was basically postion several transport full of modern armor and couple of battleship for defense, i only had about 20 ICBM, all of the 10 nation put together, had 50-60ish icbm. So what i did was use esplogue to id and inspect which cities required a nuke to soften it up, i selected a few, primarly the ones which had a large quality of ICBM in them or was heavly forthessed. When i had identifyed those cities that was the largest threat to me, most of the time those was the captal or the core/near core cities so i hit em, then i moved in my force, and four turn later the game was over :)

if i didn't nuke them it would had taken waaaay more units to take them down, as it was i only required a mere 80 modern armor, i usualy attack with 150-200+ modern armor. But this game i decided to take a chance that the AI might nuke me first, and build up a modest stockpide of nuke, just enough to take down the most dangerious cities so i could swarm and put a end to the ai quickly, i'm talking about 10 separe civization :D

then again it was sort of the perfect time, the world was sort of winding down from their 6th world war, it seems that onice every century or so the world exploded into world wars. heh i only got attacked onice, and i basically allied everyone on the azetics and they well sort of ah quit attacking me and that was pretty much the end of it :)

looks like its time to move up to monarchy level like i said earler

14. Lynx

Lynx Chieftain

I usually build yp a huge nuke stockpile ASAP since i seem to like bombing people out, and it eventually turns into nuclear war and i make sure I have the biggest nuke stockpile. Usually around 50-250 Nukes:nuke:

15. Lynx

Lynx Chieftain

Its somewhat amusing to see a nuclear war for some reason, because they spent all that effort building, then it gets wiped out...

16. antimatter

antimatter Chieftain

hehe espically if its the AI :D

if its me i just get pissed and do a massive retribution strike and wipe out the ai off the face of earth :)

17. Lynx

Lynx Chieftain

In the days before the first patch for the original civ 3 when there was that glitch that if you were at war and you made piece with them and asked them for 999999999 gold per turn and they would accept any deal you made with them along with it ( make them give you all their cities, all their techs, etc ) i rush built about 500 nukes and ICBM's and i torched the planet...literally :D :nuke:

18. NTJedi

NTJedi Chieftain

Rammstein lists an excellent strategy.... no matter how big the enemies empire might be.
    If you cannot destroy the roads surrounding the city then get the next radius of roads... and always destroy as many roads near the enemy capital as possible.

Against human players this won't be effective... except on mountain roads where calvary or riflemen can probably last long enough to destroy any key mountain roads.

19. Lynx

Lynx Chieftain

yeah, I make dozens of bombers to burn out every road they have, because you dont get the benefits of enemy roads when youre on them as far as movement...night as well burn them all and kill their people. but this is only if you dont plan on resettling the regions. but i usually bomb all the roads anyway.

20. Lynx

Lynx Chieftain

My american game I have, I had to have 100 bombers, 200 Infantry, 150 Artillery, 100 marines, 100 Workers, 50 Cavalry, 25 Battleships, and 25 Subs just to fight a world war. hey! I won!