Moding and Editor Question Thread:

Those flags could be very useful.

Do you mind if I use them.

Of course you can use them. I use your excellent graphics, too. :)

But these flags are not only useful for graphical reasons. There is a lot of power in that idea I presented here. With these flags/national symbols each civ can receive its own civ-traits - even civ traits, that don´t exist with the normal Civ 3 game. Think of cheap wonders, that give these flags to every city of a civ and these flags can have every combination of options that is possible with civ 3. Additionally they are perequisits for civspecific buildings and wonders. This is one of the central ideas of my mod. :)

Of course you can use them. I use your excellent graphics, too. :)

But these flags are not only useful for graphical reasons. There is a lot of power in that idea I presented here. With these flags/national symbols each civ can receive its own civ-traits - even civ traits, that don´t exist with the normal Civ 3 game. Think of cheap wonders, that give these flags to every city of a civ and these flags can have every combination of options that is possible with civ 3. Additionally they are perequisits for civspecific buildings and wonders. This is one of the central ideas of my mod. :)

I do like the idea alot and will probably implement in my game as soon as I figure out unique units for the 31 civs and a way to implement them with some balanced.

Could someone help me figure out a way to differentiate between the attributes for "mountains" and "snow covered mountains"? Specifically, I want to make the snow-covered mountains impassible, but leave the regular mountains open for exploration and mining.

My thought was to add a new kind of terrain to the editor list, but I don't know how to do that. (I don't want to just "rename" one of the existing types, because then I loose that type for other areas of the map.)

Thanks in advance!

Could someone help me figure out a way to differentiate between the attributes for "mountains" and "snow covered mountains"? Specifically, I want to make the snow-covered mountains impassible, but leave the regular mountains open for exploration and mining.

My thought was to add a new kind of terrain to the editor list, but I don't know how to do that. (I don't want to just "rename" one of the existing types, because then I loose that type for other areas of the map.)

Thanks in advance!

You can't really add new terrain types - just LM. Your best bet would be to either (a) make mountains impassable and use LM Hills terrain for passable or (b) set all terraform bonuses for snow covered mountains to zero. That will at least keep roads and mines etc. from being built there. (You can even rename and use snow-covered mountains for this.)

Best,

Oz

Speaking of snow covered - is there actually any differance? I've never got around to finding out.

Unfortunatley, Snow-capped Mountains use the rules of the normal mountains, not their own set of rules, like LM terrain. Just another "hardcoded" feature :(

Unfortunatley, Snow-capped Mountains use the rules of the normal mountains, not their own set of rules, like LM terrain. Just another "hardcoded" feature :(

Yes, but they are a different graphics set and (as I mentioned above) could be swapped for any other set. A likely candidate for most modders might be swamps: use the snow-covered gfx and make them, i.e., impassable. Remember, it's just software, labels and gfx. At least that part's not hard coded. :)

Best,

Oz

Some terrains, like snoopy's, have more terrain types than the regular ones. Like, for instance, a "plataeu" terrain, and "ancient forest" and such.

Some terrains, like snoopy's, have more terrain types than the regular ones. Like, for instance, a "plataeu" terrain, and "ancient forest" and such.

:confused: I use Sn00py's Greener Terrain and there are no such terrain types. Are you certain you aren't thinking of a mod using Sn00py's terrain with LMs?

It could be they're only in a certain set of his graphics, and not the greener, which I also use.
Do you know which version it is? I'm curious to see these graphics myself... particularly the plataeu one.

Here's a pic:

And also, it may not be sn00py's. It is used in Rhye's of Civilization.
The ancient forests one is used in Warhammer.
There is also a forest hills one:

Attachments

• Plataeu.zip
    679.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Forest hills.zip
    717 KB · Views: 93
Thank you for your help. Since I have to sacrifice one of my other terrain types, I chose to use tundra - however I'm having a hard time locating the files to replace. "irrigation TUNDRA.pcx" is easy enough to spot, I can't find the right tundra files to replace.

I am asking what are the file names for the tundra tiles. I don't see anything like a "tundra.pcx" or the transitional artwork between tundra tiles and other tiles.

EDIT: and while you are at it, could I have the file names for the transition art between snow mountains and other tiles? I'm having a hard time locating those too.

Actually, I cant find those terrain graphics either.

And for your edit, i have absolutely no clue.
(could you tell that i am not a very proficient modder? ;))

Well, thanks for trying. Hopefully someone else who knows will show up and enlighten us.

On a completely unrelated note:

For the pink transparency color, do you know what kinds of things can go wrong to prevent it from showing up as transparent? For example, I found some cities that I really like, but the "transparent" background is still showing up. I'd ask the creator directly, but it doesn't appear like he's been active in a long time.

I've got both Gimp and Photoshop. I tried playing with it in Photoshop a little in order to fix it, but I didn't figure out how to make it work.

Spoiler :
I don´t know, if I can tell you all possible ways of doing this, because I don´t know everything. But I can tell you how I did it in CCM (Civ Complete Mod) and another much more complicated way how to achieve the same result. :)

In CCM I wanted that the two machinegunners, that are available with Civ Complete (the German and the US-one in the PTW Extras) are beeing autoproduced by buildings that are available with the tech "Totalitarism" as they have much better defense values as the normal infantry units.

I gave the Germans an Era-None-Tech called "German Flavour" which let them build a very cheap special building, the German flag.

Then I set the building, that should produce the US-machinegunner for 30 civs to be available with the tech "Totalitarism" and to go obsolete with the Era-None-Tech "German Flavour" that is only available to Germany.

Then I set the building, that should produce the German-machinegunner, to be available with the tech "Totalitarism" and with a German flag-building as perequisite. Now both buildings are visible on the techtree.

-----------------

A more complicate way with the same result would be, to give all the other civs also an flag with a special era none tech that is needed as a perequisite for the building that should be available for 30 civs.

A small advantage of that methode is, that now the standard-building for 30 civs can go obsolete with a technic in the future.

Thank you very much, Civinator. I may try it that way. :)

Well, thanks for trying. Hopefully someone else who knows will show up and enlighten us.

On a completely unrelated note:

For the pink transparency color, do you know what kinds of things can go wrong to prevent it from showing up as transparent? For example, I found some cities that I really like, but the "transparent" background is still showing up. I'd ask the creator directly, but it doesn't appear like he's been active in a long time.

I think that you have to copy the image in GIMP, then set the backround transparancy color to magenta (which is the color civ uses for transparent).
Here is the link to a GIMP tutorial: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=241250
if this doesn't tell you, then i can't. I just downloaded GIMP yesterday, and am trying to figure out how to work it. ;)

Top Bottom