[MODMOD] Ideas, requests, proposals

I'm sorry for double posting but I thought I'd post my request here as well to make sure it's seen. Maybe I should've posted it just here to begin with.

I've been experimenting with difficulty for a while now and it's hard for me to find a good balance. From what I've read(haven't played vanilla since before 2010) about difficulty settings for vanilla civ 4 higher difficulty levels only give more advantages to the AI and after experimenting I've seen that's not the case for AND.

I like to use the raging barbarians and barbarian generals options both so I can have more combat to deal with while waiting for buildings or research to finish and to give both me and the AI more great generals to improve our armies with. But often the AI players can't handle the increased barbarians. What I would like is a way of keeping my own difficulty level at Prince while giving bonuses to the AI. Raising the difficulty by helping the AI rather than applying penalties to myself.

The closest I've been able to come is to use flexible difficulty for the AI as well and setting difficulty to settler level but it's not much fun to put on the training wheels I've long since abandoned just for the benefit of the AI.

Could we get a game option that either lets us set separate difficulty levels for player and AI or an option to revert back to the vanilla way of handling difficulty(bonuses to the AI rather than penalties for players)?

You can try editing GlobalDefines.xml
find lines:
<Define>
<DefineName>AI_HANDICAP</DefineName>
<DefineTextVal>HANDICAP_NOBLE</DefineTextVal>
</Define>

Change HANDICAP_NOBLE to HANDICAP_SETTLER so the AI will always start and play on Settler level. At least as long as Flex.Diff. doesn't increase it, of course.

I'm interested in adding more units, particularly modern era units, but I simply have no idea how to do that.

I'm interested in adding more units, particularly modern era units, but I simply have no idea how to do that.

It's relatively straightforward to make a module that just adds things. I don't think you can make a module that removes anything.

What you need for units is 6 XML files plus the art files:
  • Copies of the CIV4ArtDefinesSchema.xml and CIV4UnitSchema.xml files
  • A CIV4UnitInfos.xml file
  • A CIV4UnitClassInfos.xml file
  • A CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml file
  • A CIV4GameText.xml file
Once you have all the files, you put them in a folder under Modules and update the MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml file so the mod loads the extra module properly.

So I've been trying to do this all morning and it appears that I am a total moron. Would you be willing to do a model one for me that I could then copy and then plug others into? I would be happy to paypal you like 10 bucks or whatever.

Zeta Nexus, I transfer the discussion about Transhuman era from other topic:

-First of all, I dont't like that units in that era look like 'Star Wars' or 'Galactica'.Most units in that era look so extravagant.
-Battleship upgrades to Fusion Battleship which gets nearly double strength.This huge strength gap also occurs with other units.(It's not nice that if you don't play Transhuman, Battleship doesn't upgrade anymore.It should upgrade to Missile Cruiser in my opinion).
-Modern Paratrooper and Marine(gunpowder units) upgrade to a helicopter unit(Dropship).

These are just a few remarks about Transhuman.I've minimal experience playing in that era so my suggestions are poor however my personal feeling is negative about Transhuman as it is now.

once you'll discover that invisible landunits sit in your city, means you can't get your units in anymore, because AI wants to capture the city but the unit can't, you'll never touch transhuman era again :p. Of course, it's your fault for failing at defending your city or have no units in it, so AI can move it - really - don't know if they have fixed it yet - If I would have the choice I would throw all combat units with invisible out except submarines.

That's at least a start.
-First of all, I dont't like that units in that era look like 'Star Wars' or 'Galactica'.Most units in that era look so extravagant.
I guess you are referring to naval units mainly, right? Transhuman era's navy models are coming from Final Frontier, so floating spaceships don't look that good. I had an idea for a long time to change those models for ships from Homeworld. Those are still spaceships but with a much more "naval look". Now I know it's a valid idea.
-Modern Paratrooper and Marine(gunpowder units) upgrade to a helicopter unit(Dropship).
I don't like that either and want to change the upgrade to Genetic/Supersoldier.
once you'll discover that invisible landunits sit in your city, means you can't get your units in anymore, because AI wants to capture the city but the unit can't,
We'll need to take look at that to.

Presumably the 'simple' answer to that would be to ensure that invisible units cannot enter or capture foreign cities.

I open this thread to discuss any modmod ideas that the other players have but maybe they cannot do it.
If I like the idea and have the skills and time to do it then I will.
Hi Zeta Nexus,
A few things I wish I could do. Make changes to Slavery. Everyone starts with slavery. Your tribe is one step above a caveman, so after a battle what do you do with the enemy? (kill them, bring home to be servants or just cook and eat them.). No boosts to civs without slavery (why are they happy your enslaving them, and not killing them?). There should be no positives or negatives with having slavery early on (upper classes are happy, not all slaves were unhappy, unhappy slaves and lower classes anger = a washout). Negative and unrest effects should start when governments evolve, civs will pressure you to give up slavery through diplomacy: no trading more unrest, selling of military units, etc. to a civ with slavery and complete embargos against any civ that actually owns slaves, more unrest. (you can have slavery, like mistreating your citizens and/or have taken slaves like in battle). Opposing governments could recapture slaves to return to owner or free them in their own cities. And workers are only sold under slavery otherwise they can never be sold (that is human trafficking). After battles there is always some prisoners so the victor should be asked if they should be made slaves (negative effect with owner) or let go/sold back (positive effect they return home) or eliminated (a big negative effect with all known civs). Emancipation would turn all slaves into population in the nearest city (the increase of unskilled labor, could have a plus or a minus effect on the city). Hammers and gold are fine but you should lose % of food (with the number of slaves owned) in your capital. (that should keep a lid on number of actual slaves owned).
I like to see raiders (hidden with no nationality) being made that can land on foreign soil and capture workers/slaves, great people, missionaries, etc. and receive gold for the plot they pillage. (whatever the improvement costs to build they get it in gold.)
One last thing. Military units, archers, crossbowmen, wooden siege weapons, wooden ships etc. with a building connected to a forest resource. (by what 1200 AD Europe's forests started disappearing.) Like to see this somehow. Maybe a hardwood forest resource that depletes? And starting with gunpowder units, it would cost the owner gold every time the unit moves outside the owners borders. No movement no cost. (reflects the greater supply demand). I know upkeep is one thing but I feel moving the armies outside of your borders surpasses the upkeep costs. The cost could be weighted by the movement allowance or how far from ones own borders? If you have no gold then the units must return to their borders. Railroads played an important roll in troop movements. So no charge while on the rails or loaded. (the unit, ship, air transport, carrying would be paying the cost).

Thanks for the great mod.

Well, most of these suggestions (90%) are both far above my skills (would require tremendous dll work and AI programing) and don't feel they worth adding (most players would find them more annoying than fun).
But I will keep your suggestions in mind and see if I can implement them or something similar into CoM.
THX for shering your ideas :thumbsup:

Top Bottom