[MODULE]Esus and Empyrean Revised

After reading all the feedback, I'm going to focus on fewer, stronger Envoys with a national limit. I'm thinking 6 or 8. I want enough for you to have some in your empire and others abroad. Honestly, these guys were rushed and cranked out in about 2 hours, so I expected some problems.

I'll try to update soon.

If you are going to have a unit that gives gpp growth, it needs to be a national unit. I like the idea of having to choose between boosting your own towns, and a diplomatic boost for others though. Max the number of envoys at 4 or so, keep the 2 culture/1gg point, and make the diplo boost only possible if you get it into their capital(to prevent you sticking it in a worthless town where it doesn't help them).

I would go a step further and make it a Unique hero.

I would add a bit more to the Council. It's a nice religion if you don't really want a religion. I can understand no temples, but it needs at least one or two more units to qualify in my book. Until then, it's just a cult.

Actually, Council of esus has three units already. Nightwatch, Shadow, and Shadowrider. I believe that's more units than any other religion. Although somewhat mitigated by the lack of priests, and the fact that (unusually) they can be built without actually having the religion as your state.

Number of units a religion has, without, and with their priests.
Order: 1/3
Ashen Veil: 2/4
Fellowship of Leaves 2/4
Runes of Kilmorph 2/4
Octopus overlords 2/4
Empyrean 1/3
Council of Esus 3 (no priests)

with the additional units from this module, both religions are brought up to 4 units with priests included. Which is why I say the main thing they're lacking is a second hero. Council of esus needs, really truly requires, a Hero with Marksman.

Kjara sums up my concerns fairly well. I'm more concerned with the synergy allowing a super-fast culture bomb/culture victory.

Like I said in the first post, the large amount of culture the envoy gives is a compromise because the tag for science doesn't exist yet and I can't temporarily replace it with gold because the gold tag doesn't work. Maybe fraction of a trade route till then?? Or maybe nothing, just the GPP and culture (the normal amount) till the science tag is added then I will add that on.

Also, Kjara's concern has some crazy requirements on it. Building 11 envoys in 3 turns?? That's a lot of hammers and cities devoted to making non-combat units. Those could have been 11 champions. If you are capable of making 11 champions every 3 turns, I think you don't have to worry about much else. The point is moot, though, since I plan on limiting the number of envoys.

with the additional units from this module, both religions are brought up to 4 units with priests included. Which is why I say the main thing they're lacking is a second hero. Council of esus needs, really truly requires, a Hero with Marksman.

I agree, they both need a 2nd hero. I'll think about how to make them unique and not simply be strong versions of regular units.

I would add a bit more to the Council. It's a nice religion if you don't really want a religion. I can understand no temples, but it needs at least one or two more units to qualify in my book. Until then, it's just a cult.

Like Warkirby said, they have enough units. The problem with the 2 religions aren't that they have too few units, but that they have nothing to make them special. Especially with them being mid-game religions because of their requirements. The early 3 religions have less requirements and come very early, so you enjoy the bonuses for longer and when they have more of an impact. Part of the reason I made this was so that they could have something more substantial than a few units. Now an Esus player has a criminal network to manage and an Empyean player can gain substantial economic bonuses or make peace with others.

I would go a step further and make it a Unique hero.

Why have 1 when you can have 6 :D? You can have some in your cities, and others outside the empire trying to keep the peace. In addition, heroes that stay home and help your empire are boring (see Karrlson). The fact that they gain experience is irrelevant when all they do is stay in a city and give some passive bonus. They might as well have been a unique National Wonder.

Why have 1 when you can have 6 :D? You can have some in your cities, and others outside the empire trying to keep the peace. In addition, heroes that stay home and help your empire are boring (see Karrlson). The fact that they gain experience is irrelevant when all they do is stay in a city and give some passive bonus. They might as well have been a unique National Wonder.

:p Because they are quite potent (even if not physically powerful) As with everything Balance is key.

As a suggested compromise. National limit them at 2 AND have a 3rd Unique Hero version who does the same thing but better?

For envoys, I'd advise a fairly large national limit. Maybe 10 or so, so you can spread them all around the world and also have some for home.

Top Bottom