Money bugs- Scientific Spending.

skyline5k

Warlord
(3/4) Ideas I came up with in the last two days of gaming.

At the quickest level, I can get new techs at 4 turns/tech. When I get a new tech, I slide my Science bar over all the way till it gets to 4/tech, we'll say 90%. After the next round, I can cut back on science spending to 80% and it's still 3/tech. After the next round, I can again cut back on science spending, maybe to 60% this time, make a lot more cash, and it's still 2/tech. And finally, I can drop it to less than 50%, get rich rather fast, and still get my tech the next round.

All this is assuming you're playing a rather large empire of 30 or more large cities that can make a lot of money (again, TETurkhan's mods.)

This isn't so much a suggestion, but a question. Is this alright? I mean, is it fair to be able to cut back spending by 50% and still get the tech in 4 rounds?

What's happening is that 4 turns is the minimum limit for how long it takes to research a tech. So say you're making 1000 beakers per turn but a tech is only 3000 beakers. Even though your economic output is enough to get the tech in 3 turns, the built-in limit means you can't get it any faster than 4 turns.

So when you get to that final turn when you go down to 50% science, you've already invested, say, 2500 beakers and only need 500 more, despite it saying 4 turns the whole time.

I see. You have a point. I didn't know it works that way. I like your article on Fort Cities, btw. I've used them before, usually by dropping a city in the middle of enemy territory with a square they don't occupy. All you need is a quick built airport.

Top Bottom