MongooseMod and Totestra

First of all, I hear you about no one appreciating your freeware donations to the internet. Been there, Done that. There’s a reason I no longer actively add features to my own open source project, and I hope you now understand why I have a strong “I do not owe anyone anything” attitude -- it resets everyone’s expectations at the start.

Anyway, I don’t owe you help fixing Totestra for MongooseMod, but I am making some progress. Terrain generation succeeds right now, but player start generation crashes. Attached is my modified Totestra; here is the final lines in the log before BOOM!

Code:
CrashHERE x: 82

CrashHERE y: 12

HERE1

HERE2

HERE3

Note that this particular script only generates one map so we can all see the same crash in the same place when running it.

Attachments

• Totestra_MM_20140825.zip
    51.5 KB · Views: 224
Quite the conversation here. Explains much.

Thanks to you both for your efforts and skills to improve CivIV/BtS experience.:goodjob:

JosEPh

To be bluntly honest, I found your stated "I'm an old-school UNIX programmer and I'm going to do whatever I want and I don't care what anyone else thinks" attitude annoying

Rich that Lunar Mongoose said this, when he never released the source code to his Mongoose Mod. More to the point, he burned out, and left the Civ community for good.

Let’s see what I actually say:

Since I am not getting paid to develop Totestra, the usual expectations a customer may have do not apply here.

I put up reasonable boundaries, boundaries that are appropriate for unpaid work. These boundaries are there so that, unlike Lunar Mongoose, I do not burn out and leave the community, and so that, unlike Lunar Mongoose, who refused to release the source code of his work out of some unreasonable expectation of getting paid for it, source code is available for all of my projects at https://github.com/samboy

Obviously, Lunar Mongoose said the above statements a long time ago and I have long since forgiven him. However, making these kinds of statements in a public forum indicate a mindset of someone who does not work well with other developers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom