1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Monty 18 Civs, Controls entire N.Amer. 1290 BC strategy

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by King Younk, May 28, 2020.

1. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I think this is the problem with the Earth 18 map. If you abuse the warrior defences you in effect reduce difficulty by 1-2 levels. In some respects it feels more like a Noble game. Albeit the Ai might tech a bit faster.

Downside with Incas is you would probably want to raze Monty capital as it blocks the stone. Assuming you wanted mids.

2. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

I think you're really underestimating ol' Alex there. If you wait for France to build some wonders (as they're wont to do), you can really capitalize on the Philosophical trait - especially if Louis builds the 'mids. The Aggressive/Philosophical combination can really work well under such conditions - just keep peace with your middle eastern neighbors, and take the most productive Russian cities early, then settle for a quick peace to develop your newly claimed lands, and leave Catherine to stagnate before she stabs you in the back. She also will provide ****** buffer land between you and Mongols, depending on her relation to them.

Oh, and taking any wonders you can from England, and the shrine of Spain are great too. I played a game where Monty founded all the early religions, and the new world was basically all Buddhist with the Shrine, so I was making bank, had Europe, and many of the wonders as Alexander. I think this file is it, lol.

Attached Files:

3. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

This save isn't on Earth 18. It's a random Archipelago map I think.

4. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

Most civs struggle with tech rate and happiness at the start.
    Only Aztec and Japan have a strong game opener on that front with early access to silver and gold (and lots of food). And my personal favorite Persia often does too, as king of hut popping + Ivory +Cha.
    This would be a much tougher map without the easy conquest for several civs.

5. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Persia is fun. Get those Immortals and kill about seven civs.

6. Trout

Trout Chieftain

KY - Greece indeed has a strong start but I just can't seem to replicate with any other civ the start that you get with any of the continental Europe big four after warrior rushing the others. Athens is an interesting location which in my experience is about the most perfect Moai location I have ever seen. I tend to build Moai there as well as HE and then just pump out naval and land units the rest of the game. I have never played the map through on Deity but even with Immortal, I can conquer the entire Old World in the BC's with a European start by sweeping Europe, taking out England, building the GLH, then attacking the Middle East/Nile Delta followed by India, China, and Japan. I bypass Russia and Mongolia because their land is inferior to the others. And I just ignore hapless Mali which never amounts to anything with their horrendous starting location.

As for the posts on Persia, yes Cyrus is lots of fun on this map and can pop several huts routinely. The issue I run into with Persia is that your immortals can trounce people faster than your economy can keep up. Mecca is the closest place to build the GLH but Rome or Paris can get it built so much quicker with their locations. India has lots of commerce but it doesn't kick in until Calendar. So when I play Persia, I take out Arabia/India/Egypt/Greece then pause to cottage all of the flood plains until the economy catches up with Currency & Calendar. But that pause keeps me from replicating the strong start of the European Civs.:undecide:

7. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Played on as Monte. 1580 Domination. Took out China first.