MOO2Civ

Don't you want to have moo system scale?

I have an alpha around ant there're not a lot of techs but no errors and some civs with leaders + starting tech tree...
And I made a corvette -> doomstar scale with appropriate promotions.

Sounds like this could be very useful!:thumbsup:

Yeah, I've found pre-alpha version in my laptop, the alha seems to be in another apartment in PC.
Here I just have a few leaders, no traits and the beginning of the tech tree.
I feel a nostalgy. Maybe some day I'll go to my mother's house and take that alpha from my pc and finish it =).

By the way, I want to test your mod. Do you have ANY working version? I'd like to see the features you implemented.

Because fixing of the uploaded content is insane, there're too many errors and I can't be sure there'll be less when I stop fixing these.
I hope you have played your mod by yourself before uploading here (so screenshots say), so please share the working version =).

Ship scale? I meant corvette -> doomstar. And appropriate shipyards with construction technologies, it's really easy.

Also I called my mod Orion Sector or something like this... And made a specific techtree to avoid the linear structure of the MOO2. But it's your choice =).
I hope I'll get my mod this weekendm then I'll be able to share it (after some fixing... I know there're no errors there, I never stop working untill I get rid of all mistakes I caused, but there're a lot of small things I want to change/add to the current progress still).

Hey, the mod works fine with me (even without the patches), so I can't duplicate the errors you're (still) getting.

As I said, if you post the error files, I can have a look at them. (I can't help if I don't know what files are causing your errors.)

OK (sorry, thought you had more errors; will have a look) and thx!:goodjob:

EDIT: BTW, here's what I did before the patches: clicking on every single error message the mod would still load fine. (Don't know if that helps, but I can't check the error file before tomorrow.)

From post #71:
Damn it... I have a lot of errors, some with tech_priesthood and tech animal_husbandry...
wtf? Also I have traits in civ4buildingsinfo still and it's the same size in post 42 as in the patch...

Obviously, I missed something: re-reading this it seems to me your installation isn't right, because Priesthood and Animal Husbandry are standard advances, that aren't in Final Frontier or MOO2Civ.

Make a copy of Final Frontier mod (renaming it MOO2Civ) and install MOO2Civ in this folder (overwriting existing files). Then, if you have error messages, install Patch2 (and the Civ4Buildings.zip if that gives an error message).

PS: I assumed you had already done this, as it is stated in the installation instructions on the MOO2Civ download page.

Is this too dark of a texture for in game? I'm on my old computer and everything is way darker here...

Attachments

• MoO2scout0000.JPG
    MoO2scout0000.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 241
On mine, which must be "an older computer" then, all I can see is the flag and two light dots (headlights?). Can't distinguish anything against the black background of space. (The FFunits are much brighter.) I also notice there's a pic in the flag. A colour indicator is sufficient, (If you could add some color to the unit itself, that'd be perfect. But if you don't wanna, I'd say: just loose the flag pic. From my in-game experience I've noticed plenty of mouse-hovering over units to identify ownership.)

I'll lighten the dds after I remember how to add transparency to the cockpit.

edit - The flag is that large because the ships are that small.

I just looked at the image from my work computer and can see the ship quite clearly. I will still lighten it some though. And clearly 0.85 fscale is too small unless the mesh group size is increased.

The flag is fine (I was talking about the little pic inside: MOO2 has no flags, just color designations for the different races) and the design may be also (I can't really tell unless I see it in-game) but even with zoom I only see space and stars (even around the headlights).

Here's my concept for ship scales concerning basic ship parts I've just found on a cd.

Comment:
- B(attle)cruiser & Behemoth are not MOO2 shipclasses (might be MOO3)
- Corvette & Frigate are both Tiny; Destroyer would be Small
- this can only be an approximation as MOO2 has a personalized ship design ability which can't be simulated within Civ limitations.

I've released Patch3 including OrionVeteran's fix for Civ4BuildingInfos plus previous patches 1&2. I also clarified installation instructions. DL page remains the same:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8788

NOTE: First contact diplomatic texts are not (yet) available for all leaders. (It's in the works, although I'm rather busy right now building a Giant Earth Map scenario.)

Announcement: Post #1 will henceforth list all available patches & updates!

Yeah that's so simple. I've not read the instructions on the main mod download page, just the 1st post here and the patches' pages.

If you have some time, can you put everything in the 1 compiltaion and just edit the 1st post a bit? =) Thanks.

Comment:
- B(attle)cruiser & Behemoth are not MOO2 shipclasses (might be MOO3)
- Corvette & Frigate are both Tiny; Destroyer would be Small
- this can only be an approximation as MOO2 has a personalized ship design ability which can't be simulated within Civ limitations.

It's just a sketch, so I placed it here just as an example.

Why can't it be simulated by Civ limitations? Civ allows almost everything =). At least give each class its own promotions and allow different number of weapons to be added.
The numbers in that table are numbers of missile/laser/plasma/gravity weapon slots on the ship avaliable and the number with shield it the shield class, it's easy to implement.

I tested your mod, it works fine. What do I want to do, is to ask you about some instructions.

I've began to make my own tech tree, something like this (it was pre-alpha):

The idea was to make promotions special and make ship parts as equipement, not promotions.

If you've ever played FFH2, you know that there's an option for a galley to recieve different promotions in port - it could have skeletal crew (-1 str, +1 cargo space), buccaneer crew (+1 str, -1 speed), or sailors crew (-1 str +1 mov).

The idea is the same - you develop nuclear missiles, that you can spend some gold in one of your systems by pressing the "missile weapons" button for ship squadron, and you recieve -1 str +1 missile for small ships, -2 str +2 missile for bigger etc. The idea is to have different hulls as special free promotions.
I.E.:

Tiny hull
The ships of this design are fast and agile, but they have a limited firepower and can't carry turrets.
+15% vs. missile

Also the idea of turrets(point defence), shield and armor is:
turrets vs missiles (and a small % against tiny hull class, as they come close to shoot)
shields vs plasma and lasers
armor vs general damage

Gravity weapons are somewhat nasty because there's no particular defence against them, but they come in play late (remember those cool wormholes from the MOO? We won't allow such an imba weapon, do we? But we can have some powerful gravity weaps. which do a lot of damage to large/huge hulls).

Now there's a question - do you want me to try to improve current leaderheads graphics (if you like mine in the post above) and add some technoogy buttons?

Also I can try to play with customizable weapons system, if you liked the idea. Some python is needed here, and it would take some time.

Also why don't accept some flavoured name for the mod? MOO2Civ is not too poetic =). Something like the "Orion sector" or another option would be nice.

Notice the "dawn of man" text on one of my previous screenshots - there's a brief history of orion sector races, where have they come from and how.

Glad to see it worked out. (BTW, it's not my mod, but NCCSavage's, who seems to have disappeared.);)

I like your suggestions, especially the FfH-based part, which would fit the MOO2 upgrade perfectly (I forgot about the FfH promotions/upgrade sytem). So it would be great if that could be implemented. (The only thing left that, as far as I can see, can't be simulated is Battle Pods, which increase ship size, without affecting Ship Class.)*

I'm not sure I agree with your tech tree (good job on that one BTW), because the tech tree as it is seems quite close to the original. (I've received several comments that MOO2Civ should be as close as possible to the MOO2 original and I agree.)

I'm not criticizing your Ship Scale Scheme (I think it's great, especially seeing as there wasn't one on the thread yet), just added some minor comment. (See previous paragraph.)

I won't change the name of the mod, though, because it isn't mine and because "MOO2Civ" is a perfect, concise description of what it's supposed to be.

About customizable weapons systems: I'm all for it! So I say: go right ahead. (Since there already LHs - although not all of them perfect -, I think this should have priority.)

Finally: as I'm currently reviewing in-game texts, I'll look into that "Dawn of Man" example. Thx!:goodjob:

Well, I hope this covers all of your comments/suggestions!

*With Battle Pods you could, for instance, actually carry one or two missiles on a Corvette/Frigate. (I've used it to upgrade Scouts.)

Battle pods could be simulated easily. For example, when you add the weapons you check for the ship class (as promotion) why not to check for the "battle pods" avaliability too?
Id like to have some finely-painted leaderheads like some I've found, but it's definitely not the main part. We can always do it later.
The tech tree start (mine) was not too perfect, later I made mathematics/physics/biology/economy based one, but the current in your mod is ok except it has not too many techs avaliable to implement advanced civic/value system. Also I think it should be modified to allow the usage of base MOO ship size system.

MOO2Civ it's ok except there won't be any tachidi/ithkul and other cool races.
Actually I thought about ithkul avaliability... You could create this race in the late game by building a special wonder, something like "breeding colony", and the system with this colony will convert to Ithkul and you'll get the option to switch to the new race.

Also idea about races.

Klakon shouldn't have food/hammer bonus (food bonus should go to sakkra, they are really good breeders) but + great % to production along with -% to research.

Silicoid should be lithovore (0.5 food 0.5 hammers instead of 1 food to grow). I didn't check is it hard to go with hammers, but 0.5 food is possible.

Psilons shouldn't get raw commerce from workers, but beacons instead (or +% science, 5% is too small).

Elerians should have -research too for obvious reasons.

Gnolam should have % from trade route wield and i'm not sure about commerce from workers too. In fact, they're not natural economists but traders instead (gold for person could be a human preregative).

If you want a dawn of man text:
Spoiler :

<English>[COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT]The Pre-Orions[COLOR_REVERT][PARAGRAPH:1]Whatever its inhabitants of yore named their solar system has been long forgotten. Today, historians clinically refer back to this origin point of galactic civilization as "Center One."[NEWLINE][TAB]Center One consisted of an ancient solar system located near the Galactic Core in a somewhat unstable area of space. Several of its more habitable planets held dense populations of multilingual civilizations whose exact origin is still unknown. These bustling residents were diverse in language, culture, government and ethic identities, making one suspect that they arrived at Center One through the nexus wormhole located in this system. Besides the (future) Orions and the Antarans, who dominated the local populace, there were approximately ten other important civilizations that added to the cosmopolitan mix thriving in this puzzling star system circa &#1089;3300 GC.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE][COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT]The Exiles[COLOR_REVERT][PARAGRAPH:1]Visitors wandering through the wormhole into Center One found returning home impossible due to incessant fluctuations in this portal. Many saw this random act of fate as their opportunity to settle down somewhere within the thriving Center One system and easily blended into its ever-growing cosmopolitan society. Others felt trapped there and eventually departed in hopes of finding their way home. Unfortunately for them, this meant they were effectively exiled to unexplored parts of space.[NEWLINE][TAB]The Center One system's ruling oligarchy seemed to have run quite smoothly. It rarely had to deal with political or social upheavals because any serious opposition disappeared soon after rising up (for reasons that are still debated). Circa &#1089;120 GC, however, dissent grew (many conjecture this was due to the "closing of the frontiers" within the Center One system; others believe that there was some underlying economic cause).[NEWLINE][TAB]The wormhole offered a quick solution to the most vexing problem within the Center One system, dealing with system's increasing numbers of troublemakers. Eventually, those in power took full advantage of this phenomenon to 'mercifully' dispose of criminals and other undesirable groups to parts of space unknown. Center One society was thus purged of elements that hindered their pursuits by providing these 'unwanted guests' with a non-transferable one-way ticket out of their solar system. It wasn't subtle, but it was apparently quite effective.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE][COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT]The Exodus[COLOR_REVERT][PARAGRAPH:1]The Center One star became unstable within about a century (i.e., one hundred Galactic Cycles) after this policy of exiling large numbers of "undesirables" through the wormhole began. While astrophysicists surmise that these two events may be linked, data from Center One indicates that a generation passed from the time of this discovery to the time they expected their star to go nova.[NEWLINE][TAB]Evidence suggests that sometime around -45 GC, scientists around Center One discovered the instability of their star, but there seems to have been remarkably little effort put into moving the affected population out of harm's way. The reason for this could be found in the elitist government, which viewed these scientists as dissidents attempting to cause the collapse of the regime. The government brought in its own experts in an attempt to discredit these scientists. Those groups who chose to believe in "The Nova" were viewed as undesirable and, if they wished to help subsidize their own exile, they were encouraged to do so and sent on their way. There is also some evidence suggesting that some independent scientists were secretly working on some sort of anti-nova device that would save their sun, though we cannot know how close they might have come to success. When the nova did come though (exactly as originally predicted), Center One became a vast funeral pyre to a society whose leadership had effectively willed itself out of existence.[NEWLINE][TAB]That portion of the populace, which did escape during this pre-nova period, went through the wormhole. This is because it provided the only viable means of escape before the star went nova due to the slow STL (Slower-Than-Light) travel available at that time.[NEWLINE][TAB]Those who left on this exodus did not stay together, either (whether by choice or design). They became known as the "Traveler Tribes" or simply the "Travelers." Each tribe represented a tough, tight-knit community with a common attitude of skepticism toward government and a willingness to prepare for survival. With the destruction of Center One, the only hope for the future of its once great civilization would be the successful emigration and reestablishment of the heterogeneous Travelers.</English>

Top Bottom