Most Aggravating Situation

Rather than complaining about the AP, paying attention to it and understanding how it works goes a long way toward 1) winning with it and 2) avoiding losses to it, and even 3) avoiding major issues with its other resolutions.

As for izzy, I <3 izzy. In my first youtube let's play she was one of the two leaders that voted me UN winner. If you're in her religion, you're her BFF fo eva.

Last night I started a game as India w/ 3 ocean food resources and a farm in the capital BFC. One of the tiles was a plains spice in forests next to water. So I worked that and researched polytheism, and got it. My scout popped BW on the third turn from a hut (!). On the 7th turn, the scout popped IW (!!!). The scout went on to pop lots of huts, all the rest of which generated gold. I ended up with ~200 in the treasury from scouting. Their was stone close to the capital, I hooked that up and got Stonehenge and the Oracle, I took COL from the Oracle and got confucianism in my 2nd city. This was all in the first 100 turns, amazing start.

And then it all turned sour. I was running out the gate and was slow to build defenders, barbarians drove me insance, ripping my lands apart and chasing my workers back into defenseless cities, the confucian city was stolen, but quickly recaptured with an archer. I had several sources of iron and copper in the capital and hooked them up, then built axes for defense. You'd think my problem was solved, but while I was distracted, Zara spread Judaism across the entire globe, pitting EVERYONE against my in a religious showdown. Over the next 3 hours I was getting ransacked by spies in all direction and only managed to expand to a 6 city empire. I was dominating the power graph for awhile, now I was in the middle. Mao Zedong was to my southwest, Sitting Bull to my northeast, both were warring off and on with me, stealing workers with chariots or horses. All I could do was defend.... But my religion was doing wonders to keep my research high.

Eventually I built a good enough army to take on Mao. I stole 5 of his cities to the Southwest and vassalized him, one of those cities was the Christian holy city / Church of the Nativity (so now I have 3 religion capitals w/ shrine). I saved the game and will take on Sitting Bull tonight. He has a lot of land and cities, but I have about 40 riflemen, many of them w/ Drill IV, and 20 cannons + knights. I expect to roll over him, he just got gunpowder. I have about tech parity with Zara, so we'll see what happens late game, but he's my big target. He spawned a lot of other civs through colonies (their are 12 civs now where we started with 7). His empire is spread throughout the ocean. Charlemagne is south of me, but blocked by my new . .. .. .. .. . Mao. He's third in the power graph (I managed to climb to 2nd, behind Zara) and not a big fan of me. I refuse to give him open borders because I know he'll wreck my land with spies.

Oh yeah, and Zara's AP kept forcing me to end wars when I had an upper hand and return cities when the wars were done. I would have to take 2 cities to keep at least one during each war. It was a constant uphill battle to get where I am now....

i HATE when the civ im about to conquer gets picked up as a vassal by someone i don't want to war with...

Me, too, after -- of all people -- Tokugawa came out of nowhere with an AP win in about 1550 AD.

:lol: That's hilarious! I seriously just can't imagine him winning a Diplomatic Victory!

I get a good start w/Augustus playing for a Praetorian powered domination, tech the techs I need, crank out a few pipe-hitting Praet's and assault Berlin -- boom it's razed!!!
I forgot that the last game I played was 1 City Challenge, and settings were still checked...

Exit to main menu, single player, custom game, uncheck OCC, blah blah blah...
Praetorians take over Athens, move my Legions to attack Mongolia. Keep Karakorum, Turfan & Beshbalik, raze one city, Mongols are gone pecan. Searching for next victim... frack! I've cleared my whole continent. I still have 4 civs to kill and I have to wait until Astronomy to reach out and hurt someone.

I started a game (WolfRev) and i could NOT find copper or iron, (next to Hitler, GK and Kim-Jong Il to boot!)so i was completely stuck with WARRIORS until i got machinery, but eventually i finally found iron on a small island that had just come into galley range (border pop) and i rushed to claim it. I connected it and started building up a military, and then BAM! Just as i thought i was clear of being attacked, Hitler declares, followed by Kim, who manages to field a decent force even though he was at war with GK. Hitler cuts off my iron and i got owned.

power graph: .3 against hitler and .4 against Kim.

How did i not get attacked? I teched alot and shared, gifted gold and resources, tried not to present a target.

When you are about to Vassal and AI, but they jump to your friend 1st, thus opening a war with a fresh SoD or two on lightly defended flanks. For example...
Small map size, fractal, was 3 landmasses. Happily kicking Toke's rear end and wanting to take another city to open a strategic pathway for later troop movements on Ghengis. Had Ghengis as my attack dog, but made him declare peace so I could get more land/pop for domination victory. Kept the bribes up on Ghengis, kept him happy.
Then Toke vassals to Ghengis, and all of a sudden I am at war with both. My main offensive was against Toke and had a strait to cross so could not move the forces too quick. My border with Ghengis was moderately defended but quickly fell to his fresh SoD.

Top Bottom