Most despicable thing you have ever done to your or another civ

auntjemima

Chieftain
I love BTS, and when possible I try to give my populace the best chance to be the dominant civilization in the world with as little hardship as possible, that being said, I play to win.

When times get rough, I will freely enslave, draft and despotically rule over my people as I see best, and rival civilizations I show no quarter to once they draw my ire (or refuse to give up their territory / resources / shrines / wonders or make demands of me).

What is the most despicable thing you have ever done to your own or a rival civ? Something that will forever land you in the annuals of your game’s history as a figure to be loathed.

For me, it was the “Statue of slavery”. I was Monty on a 2 landmass fractal map, I started with Stalin, Ghandi and Sury on my island. My chariots where admittedly moving too fast for their own good an accidentally ran over Ghandi’s capitol, and he ceased to exist. Slightly later Stalin Dow’ed for the heck of it and was narrowly repulsed as my axes, jags and chariots killed Sury (whom I kill regardless as hes pissed me off in too many prior games). After a brief peace during which I oracled CoL. I then synergized the power of the whip with the Russian technique of massing huge but crappy armies and overrunning with sheer numbers to jag-stomp Stalin.

Meanwhile, Mansa and Saladin were the only survivors on their landmass and were constantly warring as they had each founded different religions. I cruised along in the game, awaiting combustion and the inevitable waves of infantry I’d bring to foreign shores.

My land was pretty crappy for cottaging, so I was running a heavy SE, Mansa got to lib first and rode it straight to nationalism, rep and democracy, then Saladin stole it from him, so I was getting pretty heavy emancipation unhappiness. I finally teched demo and immediately started building the statue of liberty. Meanwhile I had some heavy esp on Mansa to steal techs from him and noticed he must have burned a GE on his statue, because he was about to complete it before me. At the time I was building the SoL in my GP farm mostly because I wanted more GM points there and also because I figured I had a comfortable lead on getting it built. I burned a great artist to start a golden age thinking the increased production would get me through. However; as I surveyed my options to not let that bastard Mansa finish it first it became clear there was only one choice, I revolted to slavery, and 10-pop whipped the Statue of Liberty!

The TLDR version is this, IIRC the calculation for city size vs pop is “City Size" ^ 2.8 ) x 1000” Meaning I took a size 20 city of 4,394,000 and whipped it down to a size 10 city of 630,000.

History will never forget the great Monty, who discovered democracy, instated emancipation and began construction of a great statue to commemorate it during a golden age of the Aztec people. Then, a few scant years later re-instated slavery and sacrificed over 3.5 MILLION people to complete it. I am definitely going to civ leader hell for that one, my Statue of Slavery!

My general level of evil never exceeds the "raze every single enemy city" mark.

That was awesome auntjemima. Talk about irony. :hatsoff:

I have rarely done anything nasty to my own population (although I recently began learning the value of slavery). However I do enjoy razing enemy cities, particularly if I'm waging a long war in far off lands pre-Communism and don't want to be bothered with horrendous city support costs. I have been known to burn down entire civilizations, leaving nothing but rubble in the wake. :satan:

Scorched Earth. War because you think the target is a douche. You cannot afford to keep the land, but want them dead.

"Monty, I will give you this cool tech to war this guy." 10 turns later, "Monty, your head would look good on a pole". Then, "hey all us jews should murder that unholy scumbag Monty!"

But the worst thing I ever did was spawn the barbs a ton of nukes and marines. They went nuts!

The plaque on your Statue of "Liberty" should read: "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.... that they be whipped to death for the greatness of Lord Montezuma" :whipped:

I dunno, I always think its pretty despicable when I demand hundreds or thousands of gold in tribute from a weaker foe to turn outdated cats and trebs into cannons (or maces -> rifles), then take over said foe with the newly minted cannons/rifles they bought for me.

And then there's the always classic Legendary City Raze, where a foe on another continent foolishly makes a coastal city one of their culture queens... I have a pic around here somewhere of a Babylonian city I captured and burned that had 11 world wonders + mil academy + scotland yard, 3 settled GGs, 3 GPriests, and a GArtist. Sorry Hammi, no culture wins on my watch!

History will never forget the great Monty, who discovered democracy, instated emancipation and began construction of a great statue to commemorate it during a golden age of the Aztec people. Then, a few scant years later re-instated slavery and sacrificed over 3.5 MILLION people to complete it. I am definitely going to civ leader hell for that one, my Statue of Slavery!

Haha, this story was awesome!
Thank you very much for the writeup. :)

I do pay too little focus on the RP aspects of this game...

I'm usually satisfied by taking over someone's resource through culture, then sell it back to him.

One time I was in a tight race trying to launch my spaceship before Greece won by culture. I didn't think I was going to win, so I declared war, nuked his 3 culture cities, then did an amphibious assault on his 3rd culture city and burned it to the ground. I have to say the world didn't think too kindly of me after that, but hey, I won.

Rampaging through multiple civs raising every city just to get your population above the victory level.

"Sorry I killed hundreds of millions of people, but I wanted my own people to be 65% of the world's population."

Rerentlessly sabotaging every other civ's space project to won Time Victory. Poor Holy Romans(most advanced civ except mine) were especially mad at me, giving -21 penelty for my spy acts.

There once was a city filled to the brim with constructions so marvelous that one seeing them could only call them Wonders, the pinnacle of human achievement. The practically harmless effect of building over half the world's wonders in a single city meant that Aksum's culture started spreading over territory I considered was 'mine'. So I nuked it. And then I nuked it again. And then I burnt it to the ground, then resettled it for the lulz even though all surrounding territory was firmly under my control (Zara's ability to spam wonders in that area was pretty anomalous considering how poor the land was).

One time on RFC I send a cavalry army to raze random Independent cities in Africa. Not capture, raze; not barbarian, Independent. Why?

BECAUSE I GODDAMN CAN. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA~

I always feel a twinge when I'm going for a conquest victory and have to attack a Civ that's been a faithful friend all game long. I think I'm too sentimental. I also try not to raxe cities but to take them but sometimes they're so badly placed.

Full scale intercontinental invasions with some +60 warheads detonating on the first turn of the war?

I've done that a couple of times, they take some time to prepare, but damn are they fun and efficient.

I also once slaughtered the entire maya nation, a horrible genocide, not because they posed any threat or were anywhere close to victory conditions, but because they possessed easiest source of aluminum that I lacked, and my spaceship needed to be built.

I'd like to think my spaceship made it AC not by burning rocket fuel, but powered by the tears of the maya.

My last game, My northern nieghbours the zulu and I had been on and off at war the Whole game.
We had just had a long cold war peace time, with heaps of spy games and diplomatic fighting.

I got sick of them sabotaging my towns so i sent my fleet and army and wiped out their capital, and holy city and 5 other big citys. Left them a shell of their former self.

I have nuked and burned an entire civilization to the ground in an instant. While long bouts of remorseless slaving, forcing young men to fight to their deaths, and running an evil dictatorship are bad, nothing can quite compare to utter annihilation of an entire culture forever, leaving nothing but smoldering ash in its wake.

I often completely wreck any new cities I capture by whipping multiple things at once (courthouses, granaries, defenders, theatres for culture). Slavery is pretty awesome for getting newly captured cities up and running quickly.

Does genocid'ing your best friend, and razing a city killing millions "because it wasn't lying in the right spot" count as bad things?

Ofcourse pushing the red buttons, releasing close to a hundred nuclear warheads "because it looks AWSOME!" could also be in the despicable department ;)

Just last night, I hard Zara to Friendly, but he had founded a crap city on my peninsula, and it had horses which I needed for my Cavalry. He was trading them to me but i didn't want to be beholden to him for them the whole game and worried about him cancelling the deal. So I declared on him, took 4 of his 6 cities, and vassaled him, and he's still at FRIENDLY!!! :goodjob:

Top Bottom