Most important technology? (Ancient Era)

What is the most important technology in the ancient era?

• Agriculture

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Animal Husbandry

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Archery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bronze Working

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • Fishing

• Hunting

• Masonry

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Meditation

• Mining

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Monotheism

• Mysticism

• Polytheism

• Pottery

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Priesthood

• Sailing

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • The Wheel

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Writing

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

Nick723

King
The first in a series of simultaneously pointless and incredibly important polls!

What is the most important technology in the ancient era?

Totally subjective of course…but GIVE YOUR REASONS! :D

(Up to 3 votes are allowed per person)

Mining/BW. Only one path to get hammers. Key food tech is situational and commerce isn't priorirty til cities are secured and barbs under control.

Mining/BW. Only one path to get hammers. Key food tech is situational and commerce isn't priorirty til cities are secured and barbs under control.
Great choices, but make sure to vote! (And you can vote for one more..)

Agriculture, because farms. Which later help in having more Great People. Though someday I want to play a Civ IV game without Agrictulure.

Bronze Working, because copper. Not just building Axemen, though that's important, but knowing where Copper is so you can settle your cities nearby so that you have Copper - or your opponents don't have it.

Pottery, because cottages. This one is third because the question is, "in the Ancient Era", and it's more important as one "from the Ancient Era." Cottages aren't all that necessary early, but become the foundation of the economy.

Honorable mention (now that votes have been distributed) to The Wheel. For Roads, which give faster movement, which has a number of uses, not least speeding up expansion.

I vote mining.

It leads to bronze working. And the food techs depend on what food you have in the capital. I might skip a food tech for a while. But I almost always go mining before pottery.

I voted Bronze Working. Whipping, Chopping, and defensive units if you have Copper are 3 huge benefits from 1 tech. Not sure any other tech gives you more than one useful game mechanic that early in the game.

Now, in terms of what tech you want to get first, it's probably Agriculture, or whatever tech you need to improve the food in your BFC. You can't chop without workers, which are built faster with a food surplus, and you can't whip much without a food surplus either. BW isn't nearly as useful if you don't have food.

It all depends on the terrain because you can be next to water, flood plains or hills. If water fishing, if flood plains pottery and if hills mining etc.

I voted for Bronze Working, The Wheel and Pottery, but BW is really miles ahead.
I would try a mod, where slavery and chopping were in different techs, so you had to choose which one you should research first. I think it would make an early game desicions more interesting. Slavery could go to Masonry or AH, for example.

Hunting. Because without it, you can't chase two rabbits and lose them both.

The first rabbit runs away and kills all the animals, so that barbarian warriors can spawn. The second rabbit runs away and becomes a barbarian galley shipbuilding magnate.

Barbarian ship building company pops out boats like they appear out of thin air.

They should have barb pirates in later eras - would be a fun addition. Could be Privateers
That's right but I think there's a bug in the code that prevents AIs from building Privateers. And except for Archipelago style maps, by the time the Barbarian State gets to Astronomy plus Chemistry, there isn't likely to be a spot for Privateers to spawn anyways.

That's right but I think there's a bug in the code that prevents AIs from building Privateers. And except for Archipelago style maps, by the time the Barbarian State gets to Astronomy plus Chemistry, there isn't likely to be a spot for Privateers to spawn anyways.
On the second part, I think you could have them spawn on any non fogbusted ocean tile? That way they would be a constant menace. Might need them to disappear after a while, in fact…

As for the AIs building Privateers, unless it is different on Diety, which I don't play, they build them. I almost always play on maps that have islands of some sort. AI privateers always show up. They don't use them very well but they do build them. I recall one game long ago when I already had destroyers and one of the AIs kept building privateers and sending them to a particular spot on my coast. I parked a destroyer there and the idiot kept attacking it with the privateers. Not good for the AI but loads of experience points for the destroyer.

Food techs, Pot+BW and the techs that lead to them.

Top Bottom