Most important technology? (Classical Era)

What is the most important technology of the classical era?

• Aesthetics

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Alphabet

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Calendar

• Code of Laws

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Compass

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Construction

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Currency

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • Drama

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horseback Riding

• Iron working

• Literature

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mathematics

• Metal Casting

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Monarchy

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

Nick723

King
Following Bronzeworking storming to victory in the ancient era, it’s now time to turn to some more refined technologies.

I predict this one will be a lot closer!

What is the most important technology in the classical era? As before, 3 votes are allowed, and give your reasons :)

Currency is the only real way to get out of the expansion hole. Maybe a FIN civ can get away with city growth and mass cottaging. Monarchy is unfortunately often necessary as the standard map scripts tend be too miserly with luxuries. Those are my choices.

If you were to play with tech trading Alphabet would join the Currency and Monarchy as a critical tech. But that would be weird. Considered adding Construction. But pure axe/spear/chariot/cat wars are too inefficient. You usually need a stronger combat unit to along with the cats, horse archers, elephants, macemen or even knights.

I figured Rency would run away with this poll, and so far it looks like it will. Building wealth is just so powerful. And to a lesser extent, selling extra resources and techs is powerful too.

I also voted for Metal Casting and Alphabet, but those are pretty far behind Currency.

I figured Rency would run away with this poll, and so far it looks like it will. Building wealth is just so powerful. And to a lesser extent, selling extra resources and techs is powerful too.

I also voted for Metal Casting and Alphabet, but those are pretty far behind Currency.
Yep currency is definitely important, but also curiously seldom important enough to self tech (at least for me).

Yep currency is definitely important, but also curiously seldom important enough to self tech (at least for me).

Well which techs have to be self-teched depends heavily on difficulty; I, an Emperor player, find it necessary to self-tech Currency immediately after getting Alphabet almost every game; bc the AI doesn't do it anywhere fast enough for me to trade for it.

I could see alpha being the easy choice in emperor and below as it's almost always going to be the beeline tech. Problem is in my games something like aesth is priority #1 half the time, and the other half can be completely ignored. Currency is never the top priority but is always a high priority.

I voted Code of Laws. Mainly because of Courthouses. Halving city maintenance can be huge in expansionist games, which most of mine are. Apparently most people go for Currency and build wealth and markets, I just try to minimize expenses. Maybe that's why I'm usually at Prince difficulty.

Also, Confucianism. Perhaps my most-often-founded religion. Skip Buddhism/Hinduism/Judaism and research other things, then snag Confucianism instead.

Indeed, I was surprised by the lack of love for Code of Laws. Caste + courthouses + religion + on the way to civil service and philosophy. And it’s normally an excellent trade chip.

That said, I voted for Currency, Alphabet and construction. Obviously construction isn’t always important, but often it’s the tech you need to beeline to get you out of a hole, and for that reason I included it.

I am surprised calendar didn't get any other votes given that it opens up a whole slew of resources.

The Holy Trinity of Alphabet + Currency + Code of Laws for sure.

Voted alpha+aesth+monarchy, but could have also picked construction or CoL. Currency is nice yes, but seems massively overrated.

Voted for Math and Currency. Both are needed in 95% of games, unlike all the other techs, which are situational.
Surprisingly, I'm tho only one who voted for math. It opens up four tier-A techs, so it usually needs to be researched sooner than later in both peacerful or military games. Also good production boost. And HG is also important in lower difficulties

I was hovering on construction as catapults and elephantry are favourites of mine but it's got to be currency

Top Bottom