Most unfun feature of Civ4?

Dida

YHWH
I think global warming would have to be the least fun of all features in civ4. It strikes randomly and is not easy to counter and doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

ps: oh, I forgot to mention the annoying sound effect every time the globe warms up a little.

Global warming for sure, modded it out and never looked back.

After that I'd probably be a few certain aspects of diplomacy... like if I'm fighting someone and both my friends and my enemies ask me to help them in their own crusades. I have enough on my hands right now, dangit!

Wow, just one? :eek: That will be hard :p

In fact it is easy. The thing I hate more and that makes me cringe every time I think about it is the fact that Humans are not treated the same way by the AI as they treat other AI. There is too much hidden stuff there .....

Well, GW is in top ten too surely :D It serves no function in game besides being a weak punishement for using nukes or ( BtS 3.17 ) for the Firaxians lack of work in coding the AI to understand that they should not chop everything in sight :p

Hands down it's foreign leaders pestering me. The same deals, over and over again. No I will not trade oil for fish or cancel relations with my most powerful ally, so don't bother asking. Accepting means they'll come back later to cancel the deal. And heaven help me if I try to skip a tech, like Divine Right. They'll come onscreen repeatedly to get Democracy, Assembly Line, or even Flight for it. An ultimatum from a powerful neighbor is only dramatic when it comes once in a while. Too bad there's no 'refuses to talk' button for the human player.

Hands down it's foreign leaders pestering me. The same deals, over and over again. No I will not trade oil for fish or cancel relations with my most powerful ally, so don't bother asking.

It's annoying being penalized for not giving someone an unrealistic and unfavorable deal. What's worse is the situation where if I say "yes" then Country A hates me and if I say "no" then Country B hates me.

It always bothers me when some AI declares war on another AI, comes asking for help and get pissed off if I refuse. Why did you declare war in the first place, if you need help?

Because they exist purely to challenge you, not to win. A flaw which has plagued Civ IV AI from day one.

Because they exist purely to challenge you, not to win.

Isnt this the same thing. Anyway my "favorite" is global warming too. I think i modded it out, by setting a zero somewhere. But recently i got it in one game. Dont know mb it was a random event.

Global Warming.

You nuke someone 50 times, and GW hits YOU.

LOLWUT?

1. Random events Random events Random events Random events Random events Random events Random events Random events Random events Random events Random events Random events. I hate these with such a passion. They have no place in civ until balanced. I don't want games won or lost on !@#$ing events!

2. Hidden modifiers/interface lying to the player.

3. "Stop trading with X". "No". "You refused to stop trading with our worst enemy!" + "You have traded with our worst enemy!". "ok". "We will never trade with you, our worst enemy!".

What?

4. Barbarians. Losing to barbarians and thus losing multiple tiles at 98% odds. Or a city. It sure is fun getting a city autorazed by a warrior or archer attacking a fortified archer, when putting that city up any later meant it went to the AI. Barb galleys still hold a special place in my heart though. You can't great wall them, and until you tech an expensive tech you otherwise don't need, you can't counter them in isolation, either. Galleys of your own are not enough, the hammer cost is too obscene to constantly replace galleys fighting at 60% odds every 10 turns or so.

5. Global warming making desert. It might as well make dessert too while it's at it, for how realistic it is. However, it doesn't have nearly the game-impact of the above.

But that's five, not one. However, these are ranked in order. So, events are the #1 thing I could do without. It sickens me that most forum games leave them on. Particularly HoF and ESPECIALLY GOTM. If you can be soundly set back or even INSTA LOSE to a completely chance element, that element has NO !@#%$!@#ing place in a setting where you can't replay! Especially when the pressure is on to get a better finish date or score, prepping for this crap chance element is suboptimal. This isn't monopoly. Monopoly isn't fun for me. I don't want some pretend chance factor altering who wins with complete disregard for skill, careful planning, or any input from the player. The existence of random events in any competitive setting (multiplayer, GOTM, even arguably HoF) is a complete joke and I'm appalled people actually stand for it in these scenarios. To a lesser extent, I'm annoyed they're on by default rather than off. They're akin to gameplay alteration similar to that of other settings such as raging barbs or random personalities, and yet for some reason these are the SOLE things left on by default, and I suspect this is the only reason most games that have them actually have them...

When barbarians capture your city, I want to throw my computer.

Hands down it's foreign leaders pestering me. The same deals, over and over again. No I will not trade oil for fish or cancel relations with my most powerful ally, so don't bother asking. Accepting means they'll come back later to cancel the deal. And heaven help me if I try to skip a tech, like Divine Right. They'll come onscreen repeatedly to get Democracy, Assembly Line, or even Flight for it. An ultimatum from a powerful neighbor is only dramatic when it comes once in a while. Too bad there's no 'refuses to talk' button for the human player.

So you can get -4 "You refused to talk!" ? :D

I hate it when I'm blocked off on a peninsula by a mountain. Then I have to spend that much more time making ships to invade my rivals.

This may be a lot smaller than for say global warming but I hate how slow the galleys go.
It is so frustrating when you have a blocked off spot like on a peninsila or island constucting them and loading only two units on at a time and then moving them is such a pain. My solution: make them have +1 storage capacity, +1 movement, -some strenght, same cost. To balance it out galleons and caravals will move 4 also. Let Trimenes rule the ancient seas!

Oh and I forgot two things:
1) The extreme diplomatic penalty for being of a different faith
2) Theocracy in AI's makes it so you can't even attempt to become freinds via missionaries then convert rel. with them.

My solution: Make the diplomatic gain and penalty half lower.

Sci your last two are pretty realistic.

I'm so so so SO sick of hidden modifiers and the "you refused to..." crap. For christs sake if I agree to all of your demands everyone would hate me, oh wait they will if I don't...

What i hate is the constant stupid deals i get bombarded with. I would like the option of seeing an envoy of another country, instead of it popping on my screen and me accidently trading everything for some stupid technology

Top Bottom