'Move your troops' - 'ignore this request' = promise to move

Honestly, I feel you should get MORE negativity from them for ignoring. How would you feel if you sent a letter via pigeon hundreds of miles to your neighbor, only for it to never be opened?

LOL if I get enough troops near an AI border to trigger this request it's only a matter of time anyway so who cares?

I love getting that request from an Allied Civ where we by definition have open borders....
How do they keep making the same mistakes every game? It's like 5, beyond earth and 6 were made by different people.

I am in the habit of just hitting the Esc key to "ignore" the request, and I don't suffer penalties later if my troops are around.

Honestly, I feel you should get MORE negativity from them for ignoring. How would you feel if you sent a letter via pigeon hundreds of miles to your neighbor, only for it to never be opened?
If I invite Teddy out for booze, I'd rather him ignore me than lead me on to believe I can meet him at 8:30 only for him to not show up and tell me after the fact that he was just kidding and already had plans that night.

I always click "I apologize, my troops are merely passing by." What would be the point of clicking anything else?

Yeah, since the alternative is attacking them, and in that case, I think a broken promise is the least of their worries.

If I invite Teddy out for booze, I'd rather him ignore me than lead me on to believe I can meet him at 8:30 only for him to not show up and tell me after the fact that he was just kidding and already had plans that night.
Indeed. The "ignore" option was provided in Civ VI specifically as an alternative to Civ V painting players into the corner of either being forced to make a promise they can't keep or outright declaring war on the spot.

And yet they surround your capital with dozens of units, while you can't tell them to bugger off. Never understood why we can't discuss this with them while they can with us.
Yes, annoying. However, when the AI is border-dancing around your capital, the intent is not innocuous. The AI is trying to extend benefit of the doubt that the AI itself does not deserve.

Yeah, since the alternative is attacking them, and in that case, I think a broken promise is the least of their worries.
You would choose "ignore" if you don't intend to move but also don't intend to declare war.

Last edited:
So how about a "I'm protecting you from invasion" option, or something else along the tune of "I mean you no harm, but I ain't moving."

How often do you get jammed for attacking a neighbor? Or you can't move fast enough due to carpets? Or you leave, but then they settle near you? Or the best, you get the penalty after they dow you (although this may have been fixed).

Even a way to set the number of turns via trade channel would be nice. Heck, even a visible timer would be nice.

I'd like to see you be able to highlight a path, and say: 'I will stick to this route for x turns, what will it cost me?'. And if you are dof'd, it won't cost you anything if you are trustworthy.

I feel like the default promise should just be something like "I mean you no harm, but I ain't moving." As long as no war is declared, I don't see how it's detrimental, as opposed to all the other promises (spying, forward settling, religious conversion) which have an immediate impact on their own. Plus keeping the promise is too finicky, since borders change and troops move around all the time. In order to still penalize breaking the promise, a diplomatic penalty should be applied to all civs for breaking it (as it should for all promises).

Also agree that a visible timer would be much appreciated, especially for this one. Never know when the promise is up, so I end up being super careful not to have a single unit nearby for like 5-10 turns.

I settle near someone and immediately get -3 with them then get 3 options

Ignore means I get -3 for not making a promise and if I settle another city it stacks another -3 on top for setlling near them...

Say tough... I get -6 for not making a promise and if I settle another city I get additional -3

If I promise not to, I get the -3 for 30 turns and then it degrades 1 point every 10 turns
At 30 turns I get +4 for keeping a promise that degrades 1 point ever 15 turns

So a medium term small gain by settling next to them as long as you can handle the initial -3 and do not do it again.

I was pretty sure the distance is 6 tiles... it's just 1 game it seemed to be 8

Last edited:
Top Bottom