Moving from starting Settler position

Well, one can play as if he had only 2 move on that settler. The thing is that there are just some map rolls that are too bad/too good. Some don't want to miss a map that would have been good if only for that 1 extra move needed. Some want to have that option to move to the optimal start. For a challenge, one could also roll for a difficult start. Whatever works for the player, right?

I think where to settle is still a question answered even with the extra move. When to settle is what the mod mainly affects and I think "when" is more a function of the randomness of resource locations rather than decision making. Too much luck in a game ain't too attractive for some people.

Mods like that are fine in my opinion. The game is supposed to be fun, right? Some people re-roll until they can settle marble. Some always play legendary start. Some play on tiny islands even though the AI sucks at it. Some people manipulate things even in the high score / HoF games with rerolls and such till they get what they want, depending on the rules.

I personally have a couple of mods I like to play with sometimes. One I use with my friends because it helps get a better start (we have a limited time and don't want to play a game that's going to end in failure quick because one player is on an island by himself or something).

Fun is paramount :)

So if I settle on a wheat I start with all the bonus food? Or if I settle on a Marble I get +1 hammer, than +1 hammer and +2gold when I get Masonry and an extra +1 hammer with stoneworks?

It's not OMG imba, but I could see how this can snowball on your first city.

In my post I was answering a question regarding obtaining luxuries or strategic resources. My wording could have been extrapolated to include *all* tile improvements, but that was outside the scope of my response.

I just wanted to clarify as it appeared your question was in relation to my post.

I think others have discussed the ramifications of settling on wheat tiles, etc in subsequent posts. That is, planting a city does not create a farm or mine or what-have-you.

EDIT: Also I should point out that in my mind "strategic resources" are those resources that are collectible and show up in the top of the UI and are dependencies for buildings, troops etc. I don't think of cows and wheat and stone as strategic resources, though maybe they are technically? I'm referring to oil, aluminum, horses, etc.

Quick question, and probably a stupid one so I apologize in advance. Why is everyone so hell bent on getting to the coast?

Just looking at myself, I don't prefer a coastal start to an inland start, but I hate positions just short of the coast.
I like to have at least one town that can make vessels, for map exploration and naval bombard.
Working seafood is quite good for food and gold, it's a good addition to working landtiles. You need a coastal spot for improving those seatiles.

I find the seafaring benefits in Civ 5 not as good as in Civ III, though.

And if you're just 1 off the coast you will need another city to provide work boats for any costal resources in reach and you won't be able to build harbor and other water buildings.

In my last game I got awful starting postion, lot of desert, almost no bonus resources, I had to move for 3 turns to find mediocre position for first city. Later I found out that there is no aluminuium or uranium near (that is even not the right word for how far the closest resource was) my starting region, so the computer really *beep* me on King difficulty.

I didn't respond to this thread initially (since I rarely move from the starting position). But my most recent game with Japan gave a clear indication that it might sometimes be worthwhile. The initial starting position looked okay. But the desert to the east and the hint of the river to the west made me move my warrior first to look around.
Spoiler :
Then the extra cow and cotton convinced me to take my settler onto the hills.
Spoiler :
The reward was a city location on a riverside hill with two stone, three cows, two cotton, gold, deer, and fish. Victory is practically assured already....
Spoiler :

my 2 cents:

don't forget the settling on a riverside (calender) bonus for the extra gold. Use it to loan gold from your neighbour to rushbuy an early worker. On the higher levels this pays out (from a gpt-gold perspective) 90% of the time, because during the payoff you will be DoWed and don't have to pay...

Top Bottom