• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

moving games to other pc, is it possible to copy the files rather than downloading?

Syailendra

Prince
i'm an mining explorer and land opening consultant, my job actually requires me to go to unhabitated lands. Right now, i have civ 5 in my laptop, steam downloaded version.
Right now i'm in a project deep inside a jungle, and one of my coleague bring his pc to the basecamp, a good one, compared to my crappy laptop. So for the sake of playing a better game, i want to copy them there. FYI downloading would be a futile attempt as there is almost no connection here. (i need 5mins to open steam home page)
how should i copy my game to that pc? what would happen if i copy my files to that computer?
What about my game at my laptop, i read somewhere that i can only have the game at one computer at a time, so is that would mean that my game on laptop be banned if i register the game on pc to steam?
Thanks.

You just should try it.

Steam should be installed.
Then try copying the whole "\SteamApps" folder to the other computer. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. I really don't know.

Just make sure to actually start the games in question after that - maybe there will be some downloading required but it might be much less than if you didn't copy these files over.

Also: Cool job , dude!

Steam will probably send you an e-mail that verifies you are using the new computer. After putting in the 4 digit code it will work fine. So you will need access to e-mail. Just play in offline mode and you should be fine.

I would recommend you to make a backup of the game (Open Steam under "Steam/Backup and Restore Game") This ways you can make a backup on a Harddrive or CD/DVD. Then You have to install steam on the other PC, and restore the backup trough the same menu.
Worked perfectly for me.

thanks for all support, it works fine! Put it on offline mode. Gratitude.
to Fei Ling, it is more of a hot job than a cool job, haha, it is noon here, at 33 celcius with 96% humidity! Whew... Like a sauna!

Top Bottom