MPMPM - Multiplayer Mod DLC-hack (Updated!)

Since I'm the guy who implemented that part of the code, I could definitely help (probably).

1) What was the specific error?
2) At the moment, the code explicitly ignores anything that isn't custom music (because the number of mods that does anything involving custom unit sounds or soundscapes approaches zero). Since it doesn't crash for anyone else, I can only guess you might have a unicorn-a mod that actually tries to do something unusual with the sound system.
Sorry to jump in, but i'm having the same problem as Layton322.
I turned off anti-virus, so everything else went super fast, even the Lang_EN_US went right though. But then when it came to "Audio_SoundScapes" and says "Did you crash here?" it stops. I waited about 15 minutes for it to continue, but it didn't move.

I thought it was one of the mods, so I started removing them a few at a time and tried the mod again. No luck. Again and again it stopped at Audio_SoundScapes and "Did you crash here?" It's not one of the mods. I removed every single one, so that all that was left in the mod menu was Multiplayer ModsPack Maker (v.1) and I still had the same problem.

So yeah, I have no idea what's causing it.
If I can figure it out I'll post again, but I too am bemused :p

Were you able to continue playing Civ after hitting the Audio_SoundScapes step? MPMPM doesn't print an "execution complete, have a nice day/Exit to Windows and restart Civ in Single Player/Multiplayer to test functionality" message, so I treat those last four or five audio copy steps as the "we're done here" portion of its execution.

If Civ resumed functioning at that step, you ought to be fine.

Oh, okay. Thanks, and yeah, it was working fine. I was confused because the earlier version of MPMPMaker (from the first thread) I think had a little "completed" message at the end that I was expecting.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks so much for the work everyone has put into this!

I created a MPMPM-based modpack a while back that adds a few quality of life improvements to BNW but doesn't alter core gameplay. If you'd like to include this in the first post with the rest of these modpacks, you're welcome to do so!

I've called this the "Quality of Life Modpack."

The mods included are:
Code:
- InfoAddict (v.22): adds interface elements that provide more information to the player
- Quick Turns (v.10): automatically skips AI unit movement/combat based on player-set criteria
- R.E.D. Modpack (v.27): adds flavor graphics to units based on civilization; rescales units
- R.E.D. Smaller Landmarks (v.5): makes buildings/improvements scale relative to units
- Expanded Civilopedia Entries (v.33): fixes typos and outdated information, explains mechanics
- Civ-Linked Great Generals (v.2): adds new great general names based on owner's civilization
- Historical Religions Edit (v.41): adds a few new choices for religions
- Islamic Denominations (v.25): splits Islam into Sunni, Shiite, and Ibadi
- Faster Aircraft Animations (v.3): planes take much less time to cycle through their animations

Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/t7lyfm4kaxs2vhk/QoL_Modpack_v2.zip

I'll post in this thread again if and when the modpack is updated.

I created a MPMPM-based modpack a while back that adds a few quality of life improvements to BNW but doesn't alter core gameplay. If you'd like to include this in the first post with the rest of these modpacks, you're welcome to do so!

I've called this the "Quality of Life Modpack."

The mods included are:
Code:
- InfoAddict (v.22): adds interface elements that provide more information to the player
- Quick Turns (v.10): automatically skips AI unit movement/combat based on player-set criteria
- R.E.D. Modpack (v.27): adds flavor graphics to units based on civilization; rescales units
- R.E.D. Smaller Landmarks (v.5): makes buildings/improvements scale relative to units
- Expanded Civilopedia Entries (v.33): fixes typos and outdated information, explains mechanics
- Civ-Linked Great Generals (v.2): adds new great general names based on owner's civilization
- Historical Religions Edit (v.41): adds a few new choices for religions
- Islamic Denominations (v.25): splits Islam into Sunni, Shiite, and Ibadi
- Faster Aircraft Animations (v.3): planes take much less time to cycle through their animations

Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/t7lyfm4kaxs2vhk/QoL_Modpack_v2.zip

I'll post in this thread again if and when the modpack is updated.

I linked it on the first page. Thanks!

ing Were you able to continue playing Civ after hitting the Audio_SoundScapes step? MPMPM doesn't print an "execution complete, have a nice day/Exit to Windows and restart Civ in Single Player/Multiplayer to test functionality" message, so I treat those last four or five audio copy steps as the "we're done here" portion of its execution.

If Civ resumed functioning at that step, you ought to be fine.
I actually added a "Done!" message a couple of weeks ago...and then forgot to upload a new version to this thread. :crazyeye:

In other news, I've thought about the various things wonky aspects of the code, and decided the best course of action is just to PM Gedemon and ask for the dll source code. Here's hoping that works out.

Version 7 of the Crystal Fire pack is currently archiving and awaiting upload. We had to ditch Events And Decisions for the full release, sadly, after finding a variety of notification glitches and CTD risks with the Core Events.

The compressed size of the CF pack breaks 400 MB for the first time with the v7 release, but I have been made aware recently of a possible new direction to take future modpack development: this bugfix for a Multiplayer trade exploit purports to load from Assets/DLC on boot when properly copied from its distribution folder from Workshop into the Civ V install directory. Given that it's a user-made artificial DLC with a folder name other than MP_MODSPACK, it gets me thinking: can we modularize modspack creation?

If the parentheses of the CreateMP() command were turned into a "set your own name" field, we could, in theory, abandon the super-sized omnibus route of building modspacks in favor of creating a multitude of folders, each with their own .civ5pkg file to be read at runtime and loaded in the same fashion as Firaxis-made DLCs. Theoretically, with some UI tweaks to the game setup state, groups of commonly distributed MPMPM folders could be flagged for inclusion/exclusion in multiplayer lobbies as well, to ensure compatibility without press-ganging player groups into downloading the same pack(s) at the same time.

The Crystal Fire pack could easily be split into MP_MADOKA_WISHCORE, MP_TOUHOU_GH, MP_FATE, MP_METALGEAR, MP_MISCVICE, MP_QOL folders and so forth, as an example. Though I guess that last one would have to be "MP_CF_QOL" to differentiate it from other QoL-centric modspacks.

Version 7 of the Crystal Fire pack is currently archiving and awaiting upload. We had to ditch Events And Decisions for the full release, sadly, after finding a variety of notification glitches and CTD risks with the Core Events.

The compressed size of the CF pack breaks 400 MB for the first time with the v7 release, but I have been made aware recently of a possible new direction to take future modpack development: this bugfix for a Multiplayer trade exploit purports to load from Assets/DLC on boot when properly copied from its distribution folder from Workshop into the Civ V install directory. Given that it's a user-made artificial DLC with a folder name other than MP_MODSPACK, it gets me thinking: can we modularize modspack creation?

If the parentheses of the CreateMP() command were turned into a "set your own name" field, we could, in theory, abandon the super-sized omnibus route of building modspacks in favor of creating a multitude of folders, each with their own .civ5pkg file to be read at runtime and loaded in the same fashion as Firaxis-made DLCs. Theoretically, with some UI tweaks to the game setup state, groups of commonly distributed MPMPM folders could be flagged for inclusion/exclusion in multiplayer lobbies as well, to ensure compatibility without press-ganging player groups into downloading the same pack(s) at the same time.

The Crystal Fire pack could easily be split into MP_MADOKA_WISHCORE, MP_TOUHOU_GH, MP_FATE, MP_METALGEAR, MP_MISCVICE, MP_QOL folders and so forth, as an example. Though I guess that last one would have to be "MP_CF_QOL" to differentiate it from other QoL-centric modspacks.
I have thought about this before, and I worry that there might be an issue with SQL. Firaxis DLCs only ever use SQL in scenarios, never in modifications to the main game, and the mod manager by Jaii der Herr, which tries to be modular has, as a primary issue...that it can't include SQL. If you put a gun to my head and made me guess, I would guess that civ 5 doesn't actually notice SQL in DLC unless it's included as a scenario.

However, an easy test I need to run is just to copy out a single mod from within MP_MODSPACK that has SQL and see if Civ 5 runs it correctly. Those folders contain all the xml, lua, and sql files, so if it does acknowledge sql, it should work...

I have thought about this before, and I worry that there might be an issue with SQL. Firaxis DLCs only ever use SQL in scenarios, never in modifications to the main game, and the mod manager by Jaii der Herr, which tries to be modular has, as a primary issue...that it can't include SQL. If you put a gun to my head and made me guess, I would guess that civ 5 doesn't actually notice SQL in DLC unless it's included as a scenario.

However, an easy test I need to run is just to copy out a single mod from within MP_MODSPACK that has SQL and see if Civ 5 runs it correctly. Those folders contain all the xml, lua, and sql files, so if it does acknowledge sql, it should work...

We already have a proof-of-concept that Civ V can load DLC-based SQL outside of Scenarios: all of Vicevirtuoso's mods now use hybridized SQL/XML implementation for everything that doesn't have to be defined from scratch with Lua (or doesn't have to replace an existing Firaxis Lua function). And all of these mods load without a hitch (barring compatibility fixes for Wish For The World/DLL Various Mod Components) from an omnibus Modspack simply by having their parent directories loaded via the use of <GameplaySkin> (and nested <Directory>) tags in the accompanying .civ5pkg file.

Furthermore, the process seems to be independent of any effort on Jaii der Herr's part: the MP_TRADEFIX mod uses the exact same Key as an MP_MODSPACK created by Gedemon's utility (and I guess also Jaii der Herr's), which is in turn copied from the Key for BNW itself - all reminiscent of the ancient "fool the game into thinking your mods are DLC" ethos of loading mods for multiplayer, but without compromising the functions of BNW or actually replacing the contents of a piecemeal DLC pack. Civ V can handle loading two (or more) DLCs with the same Key at runtime (BNW and an MP_MODSPACK, BNW and MP_TRADEFIX, hopefully all three); who's to say the BNW key can't simply be used as a skeleton key for any number of mini-modspacks for this purpose? The only limit is that modded content should have a <Priority> of more than 200 at all times, to ensure Firaxis code is loaded first. (MP_MODSPACK as generated by MPMPM has a Priority of 300, MP_TRADEFIX has 290; I envision a modularized Crystal Fire pack starting at 300 for either a Wish Core or Rebellion Core and incrementing by 10 for dependent folders.)

SQL Note: Despite certain files in Vice's civs that are meant to be changed by the end user, Civ tends to err on the side of inclusion when loading DLCs at runtime. To this end, we've seen the two "manga Madoka" civs in Wish For The World being included for player/AI selection despite WishForTheWorldOptions.sql defaulting to 0 for their automated AI availability. As a local stopgap (and experiment in how early we can toy with the Lua), the modular rollout of the Wish core will include Really Advanced Setup so MP hosts can make that call at runtime.

We already have a proof-of-concept that Civ V can load DLC-based SQL outside of Scenarios: all of Vicevirtuoso's mods now use hybridized SQL/XML implementation for everything that doesn't have to be defined from scratch with Lua (or doesn't have to replace an existing Firaxis Lua function). And all of these mods load without a hitch (barring compatibility fixes for Wish For The World/DLL Various Mod Components) from an omnibus Modspack simply by having their parent directories loaded via the use of <GameplaySkin> (and nested <Directory>) tags in the accompanying .civ5pkg file.

Furthermore, the process seems to be independent of any effort on Jaii der Herr's part: the MP_TRADEFIX mod uses the exact same Key as an MP_MODSPACK created by Gedemon's utility (and I guess also Jaii der Herr's), which is in turn copied from the Key for BNW itself - all reminiscent of the ancient "fool the game into thinking your mods are DLC" ethos of loading mods for multiplayer, but without compromising the functions of BNW or actually replacing the contents of a piecemeal DLC pack. Civ V can handle loading two (or more) DLCs with the same Key at runtime (BNW and an MP_MODSPACK, BNW and MP_TRADEFIX, hopefully all three); who's to say the BNW key can't simply be used as a skeleton key for any number of mini-modspacks for this purpose? The only limit is that modded content should have a <Priority> of more than 200 at all times, to ensure Firaxis code is loaded first. (MP_MODSPACK as generated by MPMPM has a Priority of 300, MP_TRADEFIX has 290; I envision a modularized Crystal Fire pack starting at 300 for either a Wish Core or Rebellion Core and incrementing by 10 for dependent folders.)

SQL Note: Despite certain files in Vice's civs that are meant to be changed by the end user, Civ tends to err on the side of inclusion when loading DLCs at runtime. To this end, we've seen the two "manga Madoka" civs in Wish For The World being included for player/AI selection despite WishForTheWorldOptions.sql defaulting to 0 for their automated AI availability. As a local stopgap (and experiment in how early we can toy with the Lua), the modular rollout of the Wish core will include Really Advanced Setup so MP hosts can make that call at runtime.

It's worth noting that MP_MODSPACK goes to the trouble of saving the entire set of modded game databases into their own xml files (It's in the Override folder). I can't think of a sensible reason for Gedemon to do that other than "this doesn't work if you just use the modpack files". It's also notable that this doesn't cause a truckload of duplicate database entries in the database.log, when you'd expect that to happen if both sets of xml were actually loaded.

I suspect the databases are saved to specific files with specific names that already exist in the game for the same reason I saved the sound files to one--the game simply doesn't acknowledge the xml unless it's already programmed to look for files with a certain name.

Anyone know how to get the "JdH's Active AI Diplomacy in Multiplayer" mod to work in a modpack? I never play MP without it.

JdH specifies that it modifies a DLL; follow the Troubleshooting tips in the OP for DLL mods and make sure the resulting modspack has a copy of the replacement CvGameCore_Expansion2.dll at root-level. I'd offer more detailed help, but my line of modspacks already has a DLL replacement.

(Loving your Social Policy Rebalance, though. Gives guys like the MSF and 3rd Street Saints some teeth.)

This isn't a problem with the MP mod solution; it happens even in SP. The issue is that setting AIPlayable to 0 seems to only affect random selection of AI opponents. A civilization with Playable = 1 will allow a player to manually select it for both player and AI slots. That's something I wasn't quite aware of before testing...else they'd probably still be a bunch of unfinished SQL, Lua, and DDS files saved outside the project folder.

JdH specifies that it modifies a DLL; follow the Troubleshooting tips in the OP for DLL mods and make sure the resulting modspack has a copy of the replacement CvGameCore_Expansion2.dll at root-level. I'd offer more detailed help, but my line of modspacks already has a DLL replacement.

(Loving your Social Policy Rebalance, though. Gives guys like the MSF and 3rd Street Saints some teeth.)

The specific issue I'm having with the "active AI in MP" mod is that it's flagged to be multiplayer-only, so I get stuck on the bit of the modpack making where I have to make a single-player game before running firetuner (step 5 in the "Main step" instructions)

Thanks for the compliment - I stole most of the ideas from Ninakoru though :)

The specific issue I'm having with the "active AI in MP" mod is that it's flagged to be multiplayer-only, so I get stuck on the bit of the modpack making where I have to make a single-player game before running firetuner (step 5 in the "Main step" instructions)

Thanks for the compliment - I stole most of the ideas from Ninakoru though :)

Ah, this has come up before. Go to your mods folder, open the .modinfo for Active AI in a text editor, change <SupportsSinglePlayer>0</SupportsSinglePlayer> to <SupportsSinglePlayer>1</SupportsSinglePlayer>.

I'm having some trouble with this. I've made a small balance mod i am trying to play with some friends. I've followed all the steps but when i get to step 6 the MPMP_Maker is missing from the list in the firetuner. Anyone know what i've done wrong?

*edit* NVM, i found it. It was listed as C:/users/ ect ect, so i didnt see it at first

Zenphys's issue brings up another point: what defines whether a script's name in FireTuner is truncated to the script name itself or expanded to C:/<userpath>/scriptname? When I'm compiling the Crystal Fire pack, for instance, MPMPM winds up being the second script with a full path displayed, after the one for Great Admiral Aquaculture.

Zenphys's issue brings up another point: what defines whether a script's name in FireTuner is truncated to the script name itself or expanded to C:/<userpath>/scriptname? When I'm compiling the Crystal Fire pack, for instance, MPMPM winds up being the second script with a full path displayed, after the one for Great Admiral Aquaculture.

Frankly, I have no idea. I didn't even know it could be truncated.

So just to update slightly: It turns out there really is no need to edit the modinfo after renaming files that conflict with the game core. I'll update first page to reflect that.

Hello Guys,

first of all, thanks for this project and for your efforts. It seems very promising, something we were all waiting a long time for!

I tried to create a modspack containing the Communitas mods:

Communitas AI and Tools (v 3) - 3.17 actually
Communitas Enhanced Gameplay (v 3)
Communitas Interface (v 3)

But I encounter a problem that makes this unplayable. I also tried to only apply the AI and Tools mod but to no avail.

This is the effect:

Modding goes fine, no "obvious" errors and I can start the game in single player or internet multiplayer mode. At first I thought everything was OK and played for a few turns. The new tech tree is there, new policies, I started with the correct units and the userinterface looks like Communitas.
The (now) obvious problem is that there is no "game" information displayed on buildings, units, ... Not in the civilopedia (see screenshot), not in the city screen, not as tooltip, not in the tech tree. So I do not see the cost or the strength of a unit or the benefits of building. Weird. It seems as gameplay works, but only a display problem exists.
A second not so obvious difference is, that at the start of the game there is a smaller part of the map charted (see screenshot) - not a full 4 radius hexagon. This is now more a gameplay problem.

I added my modpack and screenshots from the generation (running fine) and the later test (with problems) and my log files.

Does anyone have tried to create a Communitas modpack? And maybe is willing to share (can contain other mods as well) if it works or can point me to a solution to this?

Thanks for any help or ideas,

malloc(k);

Attachments

• MP_MODSPACK.7z
    5.2 MB · Views: 195
  • Logs_Create.7z
    24.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Logs_Run.7z
    13 KB · Views: 125
  • 2014-10-24_083715.jpg
    2014-10-24_083715.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 207