1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Muliplayer in c2c - welcome

Discussion in 'Multiplayer and LP's' started by majaczek, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Hale_9204

Hale_9204 Warlord

Can I ask you why I have to rename my modfolder? Is it something related to playing in multiplayer?

2. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

@Hale

Hey cool you're in! You're right, if we would just have no preset civs like majaczek suggested. But if we would all start in the Americas, we wouldn't be very isolated although GEM is quite big. The distance between Apache and Aztecs Capital is like 12 tiles? The distance between Tupi and Incans Capitals however, if you consider going around the mountains as long as you have no General with "cross mountain" promotion or tech "Mountaineering" about 35 tiles (20 tiles airline distance?)

So, yes GEM is too big one way but if used intelligently it might actually be too small for some people (Azetc and Apache player need strong nerves and diplomacy play I guess)

@majaczek

Sounds cool! Now we need to vote about the options, have a step-by-step game setup FAQ how to be able to process the game if they want to join (including the SVN revision version).

We also need to find a way (if we go the America's route I suggested) how to distribute the different starting civs between the participants; we could do it either full random shuffle or only those who like the same civ before starting have to shuffle (example: nobody else than player A wants Iroquious? he gets them; player B and C both want Tupi: player A now throws a coin.
    the winner gets to be Tupi the loser must take the civ left. if more civs are left but the secound wishes of the players are also taken or competed by other players secound choices, the same coin flip mechanism could be used again)

Regarding the voting for options, I'd say you compile a list that we use as a ballot paper and copy in here as code like this
    Code:
    example:
    unlimited wonders = [B]yes[/B]
    when all players participating have sent their proposals we have a look what the majority wants.

3. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

I won't limit to americas, sorry :(

at changing folder names: you want to have both v29 and svn? then you need different folder names :p I believe save format requires all have the same folder name for mod, so maybe stick to my convention?

4. Hale_9204

Hale_9204 Warlord

so you have two versions of the mod =) I didn't think about that, because I already use SVN and I do in-game upgrades to newer revisions. But I think that using the same revision for the whole game would be nice =)

As for the maps, I like the concept of playing on GEM limited to Americas, you couldn't do such a thing on Eurasia because that continent is too big. By the way, the map isn't important for me, since I always play on random maps rather than on scenarios

5. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

If we would have more than 6 players we could go the other way around and say " no american civs, england or japan allowed". I really like to play the precolumbian GEM as it is nicely balanced (no preset wouldn't have same balance I suppose) and I am interested how humans would play with the starting locations. Also it has a lot more roleplaying fun to play on real earth with the possibility to build real cultures, although at the same time maybe evolving into becoming a peaceful, diplomatic instead of a bloodthirsty and deceiving aztec tribe - due to no starting traits this would be possible ;)

6. Hale_9204

Hale_9204 Warlord

"stealing" from the thread of the US multiplayer game I found this, basically each player adds his name to a column gives his opinion on every option

EDIT: Koshling has uploaded this as an online document, I'm not very skilled with this so if you're able do it ;)

Attached Files:

7. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

Oh, now I already filled it up. You might want to enter your options suggestions in row "C" and repost it with your name like "gameoptions hale_9024" and the next person picks it up and fills in as well?

8. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

9. Hale_9204

Hale_9204 Warlord

Ok I did my choices; DP means Divine prophets (well, I think so)

Attached Files:

10. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

oops didn't marked divine prophets but want them in :p

11. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

For any attempts at Direct IP please switch on logging and post the OOS and random logs afterwards. That will help getting some of those OOS bugs out of C2C.

12. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

of course yes!

13. Civ Fuehrer

Civ Fuehrer Eat, Sleep, Mod

Alright, I got my options ticked. Also, I prefer no goody huts (Hate freebies).

Attached Files:

14. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

:bump:

4 players have gathered so far, I think we still need 1 or 2 additional players (or more) to start.

Come, people and fill the ballot for your favourite choices! :king:

15. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

I would love to play via IP - here are my options. I have no hope that it will work though.

I think once we set time(s), if people can't make etc, then its just too bad, AI controls them. They can always pick it up next time.

Oh one other thing, if/when this fails ;), anyone interested in trying AND2 via IP?

Attached Files:

16. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

Great you're in, too!

Ok I propose that now, being 5 already (and hopefully one more in the next days - lurkers feel free to join!!), we need a little description how to set up the game.

-Tally the votes and publish the majorities Game Options

-Which SVN revision?

-How to process and send turns?

-What's the order of moving?

-If we would play precolumbian GEM who would like which American tribe?
    Choices are [TUPI/INCAN/AZTEC/SIOUX/APACHE/IROQUOIS]

[As it was me who suggested the "GEM America" settings you guys can have your favourite pick, I would take the civ that is left ok? This shall show you that I believe the starting places are somewhat balanced]

17. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Sorry what, is this pbem or ip? I don't want to play pbem - its too slow.

18. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

I'm on. Count me in.

Now what do we need to do to play this?
    I'm downloading the SVN.

Attached Files:

19. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

Nice :)

Koshling just released some very nice bugfixes. The current SVN is 5312 now and I suggest we use this.

Everyone taking part now please upgrade to this revision and post what civ you like.

Also post your secound wish.

[TUPI/INCAN/AZTEC/SIOUX/APACHE/IROQUOIS]

If two like the same civ I will throw a coin.

As I told you, I am gonna take the remaining civ so I will post no favourite.

Once we distributed the civs, one of us (majaczec) has to open the game, how the password thingie works we will have to read in the ongoing multiplayer games threads, I guess.

We can then post our save in forum as attachment and the next one picks them up and loads it or we can send the saves to the next player by PM I guess or however the people already playing multi do it (my first multi C2C game)

btw

ONE PLACE STILL OPEN, LURKERS PLEASE JOIN :)

20. Civ Fuehrer

Civ Fuehrer Eat, Sleep, Mod

@DRJ
    I count 6 with Rightfuture joining.