Multiplayer using openvpn 0 disconnects

Hello,

I made this account just now only to bring the following information forward.

THE METRIC VALUE MUST BE SET TO A LOWER VALUE ON YOUR VPN NETWORK ADAPTER THAN YOUR LOCAL AREA NETWORK ADAPTER (THAT YOU GET INTERNET FROM)

So I put the metric value to 10 on my local area network adapter that I get internet from

And I put the metric value to 5 on my VPN network adapter.

Also, thank you a ton for providing this information!
Been using Evolve and reconnecting every 10 minute for hours and hours.. :)

Hello. First of all I want to thank the op for this fix, this has finally allowed me and my friend to have a 200+ turns game without chain disconnecting. But now we've run into another issue, we are at turn 250 and every time we load our save and play a couple of turns the game goes into a random loading screen, which wouldn't be much of an issue UNLESS the game put us both on the same civilization after the loading screen. Yeah, I don't even know what to say, searched online and can find no one having a similar issue. We're using openVPN and have our metrics configured (we both have the same connection and version of civ). Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers all,

Too many doubts after reading about this post as I'm like a big ZERO when it comes to networks :( :( :(

Like most players and after buying and installing "Gods & Kings", playing civilization 5 in LAN mode as become a nightmare with all the disconnections.

In my place I play CIV against my wife, in LAN mode, so basically we have 2 different computers connected by our home ISP.

1st question (of many to come):
Do I have to install OpenVPN in both computers and follow the instructions above?

@Distorted

I do not know what to say. Never seen this problem before. But I cannot see how this is VPN related..probably the game(and that specific save) got corrupted somehow? Tried an older save? have you tried loading using an autosave from another peer? (not the host peer)

@Maniac Dude

Yes you must install it in both computers. It may seem difficult..instructions are not the best but is not that hard.
(next time better post as many questions you can because I do not know when I'll get online)

Personaly i had disconnects with evolve.
It was better than nothing but only openvpn solve my problem.

Having some issues, getting this to work, it gave me a bunch of cant write random state memories but a short google managed to fix that, now when I try to enter insert portno it tells me insert is an invalid command, when I do it with (insert portno) it aske me more? and whatever I enter it just keeps asking that, even if I enter the whole first code segment from OP, any help?

What invalid commands? ..if I understand correctly what you are doing (been asleep for too long)..
These are not commands but the actual contents of the files you have to create for the clients and the server.
You simply have to insert your own parameters in there (so when I say "insert [port], [ip] and [playername]" I simply mean replace the line "remote [ip] [port]" with "remote 42.134.23.32 4233" for example).

ps: obviously you mean something completely different from what I understood..

When I got building the build-ca, what do I put in front of each? it doesn't explain

When prompted, enter your country, etc. These will have default values, which appear in brackets. For your "Common Name," a good choice is to pick a name to identify your company's Certificate Authority. For example, "OpenVPN-CA":
Country Name (2 letter code) [US]:
State or Province Name (full name) [CA]:
Locality Name (eg, city) [SanFrancisco]:
Organization Name (eg, company) [OpenVPN]:
Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) []:
Common Name (eg, your name or your server's hostname) []:OpenVPN-CA
Email Address [mail@host.domain]:

In the US, do I just put United States, it doens't let me, or I just copy what is in brakets as in
US
CA
SanFransico
OpenVPN
leave blank
OpenVPN-CA.... what does the CA stand for, the CA for california?

Steps are not entirely clear.

c:/openssl/ssl/openssl.cnf ?
I thought you said you installed it on the Desktop..are you sure you didn't install it elsewhere and then moved the installation?

and what do you mean by saying it was working until now?

anyway looks like you are having a problem with the path..so probably inside "vars.bat" file you will find wrong paths (you can check it - open it with notepad)

..better re-install it..(simply under c:\openssl or something like that)

it doesn't really matter..simply press enter when you want the default to be used..and only give a name

what you enter is not important

reinstalling again...this is more frustrating than getting CIv 5 to actually work with Evolve, and that disconnects me every 15 minutes almost to the second.

no. only you will create the certificates.. and then you will send them accordingly to each peer..
if I remember correctly you will need to send three files to each peer..(then correct the paths to the client config file and you should be ready)

ca.crt
mike-laptop.crt
mike-laptop.key

if we suppose that you entered "mike-laptop" as client's name

Why didn't firaxis just allow ip adress thing. it worked so nice on CIv 4...I just play with 1 friend anyways.

Tunngle doesn't work with a version above 1.674
Evolve kicks us out every 13-15 minutes...my god.

Thing is done installing ima go at it again.

I just realized something, if I am the who makes this, am I the one hosting?... because for some reason I can't host games. I literally can't. I hosted twice, then pressing the button "host games" does nothing. So can my friend still host the games if I do this, or would he have to do this ?

EDit: will do, thanks for your time... I don't wana play CIV 4, never liked unit stacking. Well... except the army making thing of Civ Rev. but the endless stacking on cities no :p

he will be able to host.

come here to chat: - (link removed)
because we will reach page 10 in an hour :p

Hi everybody!

I'm one of the developers over at Evolve. We've had a lot of people request a workaround for Civilization V's poor networking code and when somebody pointed me to this thread with the OpenVPN fix, I finally came up with a working solution for Evolve as well.

We just pushed the fix to the Evolve beta channel. You'll get it if you've opted in to the beta channel via the preferences dialog in the client.

This should allow you to actually play more than 10 turns without disconnecting!

Happy gaming!

Top Bottom