1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiplayer Vs Single Player -> Which one do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by wc3promet, Dec 29, 2005.

?

'Human Multiplayer Mode' Or 'Single Player Vs AI Mode'

1. Multiplayer (Vs other Human Players)

24.0%
  2. Single Player (Vs only AI Players)

76.0%
  1. Colossian

Colossian Prince

Fraxis makes this like that. Easy to war! So, Civ4 is a war game.

2. Exavier

Exavier Destroyer of Worlds

I preferr MP games as a thinking human is always alot more fun... that and its fun to throw comments back and forth while youp lay a several hour game.

Its also why i put alot of effort into balancing my mod for MP games. :lol:

3. Zekrazey1

Zekrazey1 Chieftain

Not true, only yesterday in a game I played people asked to have the space victory turned off because they felt it was too easy. :crazyeye:

Most games I play end up at least on the verge of the modern era before everyone quits/disconnects or the game freezes :p.

Anyway, I prefer multiplayer, even against the random people you find on gamespy, because it's fun to play against all the varied and interesting strategies people have.

4. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

I play mostly single player for the simple reason that it's difficult to get a proper multiplayer game unless I organise it with a friend in advance. The vast majority of the multiplayer games are tiny, quick speed games dominated by early rushes, and never make it much beyond the classical age. This is only a fragment of a full Civ game, and doesn't interest me. I like long games which take in the full tech tree, and where I'm not being rushed to complete a turn in 30 seconds flat. It's not as if it isn't possible to save part way through a long game and continue later.

A human player is far more of a challenge than the AI, and in many ways more fun, but unless I arrange a game with someone I already know no one seems interested in a game which lasts more than an hour. Therefore I mostly stick to single player.

5. Alistic

Alistic Warlord

I play mulitiplayer. Because outsmarting living opponents is much funner and far more dynamic than learning to exploit an AI.

6. 777

777 King

MP is way more cool than SP but I hate to wait eternity between turns so SP :D

7. cmonster

cmonster Chieftain

I love multiplayer, I have a group of friends that we always play together. We have a teamspeak server setup and turns into quit the social gathering. I love it. I haven't tried just finding someone on game spy and playing. I don't think I would want to play with people I don't know. We use direct ip connection and it has been rock solid for us. We haven't had one dropped game in over 30 hours of playing.
    cmonster

8. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

I answered single player, because that is my normal preference.
    However, the best games I have played have been cooperative multiplayer with my wife against large AI teams. By setting up several AI teams of 2, 3 or 4 civs you really end up with quite a challenge and with two of you the strategy discussions can be quite enlightening. ( You learn quite a bit about each other as well! :eek: )

9. Doomed_UK

Doomed_UK Warlord

Exactely the same here - with the added fact that most of my friends are also married with kids, so we are all aware of our time pressures and are happy with one 4 hour session a week - even if it takes months to finish a game (we play with a slowed tech mod).
    We all find single player a little boring......