1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Music of Civ VI

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ben., Jul 8, 2016.

1. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Likewise for England. “God save the Queen” is a frightful dirge.

God of Kings and Zaarin like this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They probably had to refrain from using Canada's unofficial national anthem, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, because it's still under copyright.

3. King William I

King William I Prince

Of course the lack of march or jazz style in Americas later eras was a mistake imo. Considering we invented one and popularized the other

Meluhhan, Guandao, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  4. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Agreed, love it.

5. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I enjoy it for it's boldly aggressive lyrics--"Confound their politics! Frustrate their knavish tricks!"--but I can appreciate the sentiment.

Heartily agreed. A jazzy rendition of "Hard Times" would be very easy to arrange; bluegrass is a pretty close cousin to jazz after all (on which note I wouldn't have minded the Medieval version leaning a little harder into the bluegrass angle).

6. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

I didn't understand the inclusion of "O, Canada" because they all said, from the beginning, that this time they would use more folk songs and not the epic, bombastic and nationalistic themes they used more in Civ5 - that is the reason they didn't use "I Vow to Thee, My Country" for England, which was one of the best renditions of any theme in the last entry of the franchise, also "Du Gamla, du fria" for Sweden (although an ambient theme) and "In Naam van Oranje" for Netherlands.

Guandao, God of Kings and Zaarin like this.
  7. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

For me, if it’s a bop, it’s a bop. “Du gamla, du fria”, “In naam van Oranje”, and “I Vow to Thee, My Country” (or rather Holst’s “Jupiter”) are good tunes.

“God save the Queen” and “O Canada” are not.

8. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Good thing Kimigayo isn't used for Japan, despite it being Japan's national anthem. To be honest, Kimigayo is unremarkable.

9. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Confession: I want some national anthems for Civilization 7 :)

Sarah: "ELIZABETH LEADS ENGLAND IN CIVILIZATION 7-"
    Angel's choir: "GOD SAVE OUR RIGHTEOUS QUEEN"

but mostly Germany's national anthem. Deutschland Über Alles possesses a certain epicness that most other anthems lack and it would transition rly well into game soundtrack I tihnk, esp when combined with An Die Freude.

Guandao, Kjimmet and Zaarin like this.
  10. God of Kings

Sarah: "Khrushchev leads Russia in Sid Meier's Civilization VII"
    Powerful male choir:
    "Союз нерушимый республик свободных
    Сплотила навеки Великая Русь.
    Да здравствует созданный волей народов
    Единый, могучий Советский Союз!"

(An unbreakable union of free republics,
    Great Russia united forever.
    Long live the creation of the will of the people,
    The united, mighty Soviet Union!)

That would be amazing and I would waive my prohibition of current national anthems (the current Russian national anthem uses the same music, but with different lyrics) to allow this.

11. Zaarin

"God Save the Queen" and "Deutschland Über Alles" (funny how they don't sing the first verse in Germany anymore... :shifty: ) are fine; "La Marseillaise," too. Just no "Star Spangled Banner" and "Oh Canada" please. :p

12. Chekko

Chekko Chieftain

Englands song in Civ 5 ’I Vow To Thee’ still brings a tear to my eye. I need it in Civ 6.

13. God of Kings

The entire Jupiter composition by Holst could be used since it contains "I Vow To Thee."

Holst's Mars could be used as an ambient theme for England, especially at war.

Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  14. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

Please, not la Marseillaise. Maybe it's because I'm French, but I'm tired of it. I don't want any of my civ game in which I play with France having it. I will feel that Macron would again make another useless allocution to the people. Just... no, please. If we want revolutionary french music, La Carmagnole or Ah ça ira are well known and much more interesting musically speaking. Or simply put back again the Cancan: with the right arrangement, it can be wonderful, and let's agree, it's our unofficial anthem as well as Waltzing Matilda is Australia's one.

As for having official anthem as musical themes, I would love to have the Brazilian one. It has romantic opera styles and it's probably one of my favourite. Poland's too. They're not just military marches, they're more researched.

You know the joke, right?
    Q: Why does the European Anthem is the Ode toJoy from Beethoven, but without lyrics?
    A: So that Germans can still sing "Deutshcland Über Alles" on it

(You can try it, those lyrics go astonishingly well with the European Hymn)

15. Zaarin

I don't really want it, but it is pretty...unique to talk about watering one's fields with the blood of the impure in an anthem. :mischief:

16. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

Fun fact: when the revolutionaries are talking about impure blood watering the fields, they're not singing about the blood of the aristocracy, but the blood of the revolutionaries themselves. It's their own blood that will water the field because sacrifice is necessary if one want to overthrow the aristocracy. And the revolutionaries were proud to be of "impure" blood, because "pure-blood" were the aristocrats and they were, welll... bad people, at least through their eyes (edit: I didn't find a source so it might just be a legend... but I prefer it to be fair :D)

Also, in France, there is each year polemics around the first verses: it's too warriory, too bellicist, too bloody. A lot of us would prefer to focus on more enlighting verses, like the 6th one, focusing on our love for LIberty and stuff like that. But if I had to give my opinion, I would propose something entirely different for the official anthem for France.

Meluhhan, Guandao, Kimiimaro and 3 others like this.
  17. Zaarin

I haven't met many people who like their own country's anthem. I guess familiarity breeds contempt.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  18. cain3456

cain3456 Prince

Compliments to Firaxis on the new DLC. The Byzantine and Gaul music is impressive.:cool:

19. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

I like the brazilian anthem, but it is just too long to sing full at any time, and most of its words are just oldfashioned ones most people don't even understand really anymore. Besides it is written not in the regular gramatical order, the sameway Yoda would sing it. :lol:
    But the musical score is beautiful indeed.

Meluhhan likes this.
  20. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I've asked Geoff Knorr about the inspirations for Gaul's themes on his website and I'm still currently waiting for his reply.