1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My Civ5 Review and my probable goodbye to the game, for now ...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by adamsolo, Dec 28, 2010.

1. cman2010

cman2010 King

by the brand loyalty being "lost" I mean most people wont just buy it right off the bat or after a few good reviews as someone else stated they will take a "wait and see approach" if they even bother to look into it at all.

2. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

Yep. Well, that's about where I am at this point.

3. Armor (Veteran)

Armor (Veteran) Warlord

I've played every version since I, but next time there's no way I buy without at least playing the demo. Especially now that I trust professional game reviewers about as far as I can throw them.

CiV is far from the worst game that I've played, but it's definitely a top candidate for the most disappointing. The series' sterling reputation, the glowing reviews, and the pre-release hype all made the final product seem even more disappointing than it would have been otherwise.

4. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Same here... which is why it's all the sadder that Firaxis has now joined the rest of the throng in my "buyer beware" category. It was probably naive of me to trust in their integrity in the first place, but I've never been all that disappointed with any other Civ game prior to Civ 5. The others had their problems, but I don't recall even Civ 3 lacking the "one more turn" feeling or just not being any fun right from the start.

I've been told "you shouldn't expect so much" or "all games have bugs" and all that, which is just another way of tacitly acknowledging that Firaxis now releases mediocre products like everyone else.

5. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

Exactly. And ultimately that's the greatest disappointment for me. It's not that I don't expect this kind of crap from other companies, where the focus is all on graphics and not a whole lot on gameplay. I do. I just didn't expect it from the Civ series.

I used to say the same thing about Master of Orion, but I heard enough bad stuff about #3 that I just steered clear. I guess that franchise is dead now. Killed by a bad entry into the series. Civ has a bit of a longer lifespan, so it has a bit more possibility to recover....but I wonder whether it will.

6. cman2010

cman2010 King

exactly there are a few games you can usualy count on to deliver and this was one of them but lesson learned.

7. Ahovking

Ahovking Cyber Nations

And ill be doing the same

8. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Civ V doesnt even deserve to be compared to Civ IV.

Civ I, II, and III were all better games than Civ V is.

Thats how I always felt about Civ. I never thought the series would ever let me down, and believed that all Civ games made by firaxis would be purely awesome like all the previous ones. Lessen learned indeed.

I tried to enjoy the game, but black screen crashes on top of how inferior it felt to the previous ones made me stop. Its the only Civ game that I managed to put down and stop playing so quickly. I recently bought anno 1404, and that filled my need for a brilliant and enjoyable modern strategy game.

9. rogue131

rogue131 Byzantine Historian

I too find Civ 5 to be boring, although I do enjoy the new combat features. Good thing the "stack of doom" is gone. That crap sucked! Of course like 15 riflemen will bring down a colony, duh:eek: