My files won't load

garuffthehorse

Chieftain
Hi, I'm new to Civ IV (I just couldn't leave III behind, I loved it too much) and to Macs so I'm not sure how to approach this problem (the old Windows approach of mashing Crtl, Alt, Delete in a fury is obviously no longer available to me).

I have a Macbook Pro, spec:

13-inch: 2.4 GHz
2.4GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz
500GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

And bought the Civ IV for Mac Complete Edition.

Using Beyond the Sword, the game installed fine and I was playing quite happily.
Then I tried to load my saved file yesterday - went through the normal process i.e. using in game load button, selecting file etc - then it would begin loading, get all the way through the bar to Finishing, where the bar is full, and stop. The music and sound effects from the game would be playing but the loading screen would be there.

So I exited the game, turned down to a lower graphics setting and this seemed to work.

However now I'm on the lowest setting and it's happening again.

What can I do?

Thanks.

Welcome :wavey:

If you post a save that's causing he problem I can have a look at it. Are you running any mods?

The nearest Mac equivalent of Ctl/Alt/Delete is Alt/Cmd/Esc, which is a keyboard short cut for Apple menu->Force Quit. If you are running Civ4 in a window, which I always prefer, you can right click its dock icon to Quit or Force Quit it as well.

I'm having the exact same problem, really frustrating. Would love to keep civilizing the world. Also, mine does it when I try to start a new game as well. Was working fine last night.

Hi, welcome. :wavey:

Just like the previous message - if you can post a save that gives the problem, I can see if there's anything strange about your set-up.

I am having a similar problem with any new save created since yesterday, but I'm playing the Pie's Ancient Europe V mod (patch 2). My issue though is that the save game bar completes and the cursor changes to the Civ IV arrow but then I get a crash to the desktop.

I understand that you probably don't support mods, but I'm trying to figure out whether it's a problem with the mod or Civ IV itself. In particular, I get this message upon a crash to desktop:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000000000002c
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

New games in Civ IV or Pie's Ancient Europe seem to save and load fine after a few turns.

Thanks for still supporting Civ IV!

Attachments

• CTD-Huns BC-0152.CivBeyondSwordSave
    825.6 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom