My First Finished Deity Game

Vo01985

Warlord
Not sure if this thread belongs here, but Id like to share my story about my first deity game. I will also share some tactics so that is why I figured it belongs here. Pangea, standard speed & settings, deity, with babylon.
My plan was to get HS and use the GE to build PT. I got pottery->library first and settled the GS next to a river. I hardbuild HS (liberty wasnt finished yet) and used the GE the build the PT around turn 90-95 or something. When liberty finished I used the GE to build the oracle that was still available for some reason. Since I wasnt in renaissance yet I thought I would choose honor so i can get some of the lower honor policies for extra happiness, this turned out to be a mistake.
I settle a few cities, capture 2 chinese cities with longbows and a swordsman. Ottomans DoW me, and I am basically at war with them for about 200 turns, luckily I had a great defensive position so my bowmen really destroyed everything that game through.
Anyway, I built libraries and universities in all my cities (ended up having around 6), and completed the NC VERY late (around turn 150?), I was faaaar behind in tech, but when I hit renaissance I got Rationalism and the Freedom opener, coupeled with Hagia Sophia and 5 Gardens (only 1 city not next to a river), I was generating GS fasts. France DoWs me around turn 100 or so and we are literally at war until the end. But I can fend them off too with bowmen and crossbows when I get them.
I had 4 "friends" the entire game. I believe I signed 12 or 16 RA in total, all within a few turns of each other. I had many luxury items so my economy was completely based on those, as I was around 10GPT a lot of the time.
Hiawatha reaches modern era fast, and his empire is getting big (at least his score, I had only scouted about 10% of the map since I was DoW by ottoman and china incredibly early and lost my 2 scouts). As soon as I reached 9 or 10 GS (I stored them all in the back of my empire) I bulbed and went from #5 in science to #1. I ended up 4 Technologies behind Nano, as I figured while I build the Apollo I can still get some GS, and also get Oxford. So, everything lines up perfectly. I am sitting on 3000 gold, I traded aluminum with my close neighbor Hiawatha, build a spaceship factory that will be ready at the exact same time as Apollo. 2 turns before Apollo finishes, Hiawatha finishes Apollo. By this time I have all the techs I need.
Now this is where sh*t literally hits the fan. We have been friends for the ENTIRE game, and 1 turn later (1 turn before I finish Apollo) he DoW me and his army is HUGE, literally, 25 units swarming through my open borders. By this time I have about 4 lvl9 crossbows who are still fighting france and suleiman units. I manage to escape the best 2 (with the VERY important logistics and heal after turn upgrades, the only useful upgrades for crossbows after you upgrade them to rifles->infantry etc..). 1 turn before Apollo finished I used two generals for 13 turns of GA, and 1 general gets killed while defending a city.
I was about to give up and quit the game, as Hiawathas army was incredible. I used all my cash to upgrade my 2 best xbows to rifles->infantry->mech infantry, wanted to buy a modern armor (I hard teched it, 25 turns lol), but had no aluminum.
Hiawatha quickly captures 3 of my cities, including my capital, in about 3 turns. It was insane. France captures Beijing, the city that was the front for about 200 turns while I was fighting ottoman and france. So by now I have 3 cities left, all decent production. I put them all on production focus and start building space ship parts (which was still possible even though I lost the city I built Apollo in). I was at -1 aluminum (traded with Hiawatha) but I still think the 50% modifier worked for 1 city (my new "capital"). He captures another city, even though I spent all my remaining money buying babylons walls and castles, and also asked Germany to DoW him.
Two cities left, one is size 12, one is size 8. I need 6 parts and each part takes roughly 10 turns. Luckily my new capital had great location, so defending it was very easy. They got a few shots in but my mech attacked twice and retreated back in the city, and gets +3 heal every turn. I lost one of my super mech, not sure why, I think I pushed too much offense. Anyway, suddenly Hiawatha leaves, and I am spamming Next Turn like no tomorrow. He comes back with a few units, but luckily the CS north of me DoWs him and does some damage too. I defend with my one remaining supermech and manage to fend him off....AND WIN THE GAME BY SPACE VICTORY.
My first deity game that I played for more than 100 turns, and I end up winning, but ohohohohoh it was so very close. I spent HOURS getting so far and defending and when he DoWd me I was about to smash my computer and throw it out the window. Luckily I collected myself and tried to see what was possible, I never thought I could still win it.
He had 4 parts completed when I launched the ship, and completed manhattan 1 turn before finish.

I had never used this tactic before, just settle cities and generate GS, store them somewhere (hurts economy but it is worth it), use them at the end of the game (I think I used 11 bulbs and oxford), defend your empire. Sign RA, make sure you stay friends with a few civs. Get HS, PT, Gardens, Renaissance and Freedom Opener, build universities and public schools fast, and turtle your way through a victory. I should have gotten the 2 policies for CityStates rather than the honor+10% combat bonus, however thanks to the 10% bonus I might not have survived the ottoman and france constant rushes. Also, I think I saw only 1 or 2 barbs through the entire match thanks to turtling and staying within my borders defending.

I end up with a remarkable score of 700! But, a win is a win.

I'm surprised the AI didn't complete the Manhattan earlier, as they seem quick to wanna grab nukes

Germany and Askia had it rather early, but they were my friends throughout the entire game. Hiawatha focused on the spacerace and was therefor later... Even though I won I am not entirely satisfied with my first deity victory, because the city I built the Apollo program in got taken over. Should I not have lost the ability to build space parts?

Top Bottom