• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

my impressions

Maxor127

Warlord
I've played for about 8 hours now. I don't know if this game can pull me away from Civ4. I like the combat. It's easily the best addition. The animated, talking leaders are nice too. But the overall graphics seem worse than Civ4 unless they change completely with the highest graphic settings. I read somewhere else someone complained that the rivers were ugly and don't blend in well with the ocean, and that the trees look painted on, and I have to agree.

I'm not impressed with the music either. Civ4's music was perfect, but Civ5's music just doesn't seem to fit good. There doesn't seem to be any era-specific music. I think I've heard the same song from Ancient to Medieval era. The music is so unmemorable, that I can't even think of how it goes.

The game in general seems slow. It took forever to get out of BC. I miss wandering animals. I think the effects of gold and happiness is too excessive. The game penalizes you too much for growth and rewards you too much for spamming trading posts to buy instead of build.

The save/load menu is horrible. I thought the interface in Civ4 was just fine, and the Civ5 UI seems clunky and is missing vital info. Especially the Civilopedia. It's way too difficult to find out information, and usually I can't find it in the Civilopedia, things like what promotions unlock which promotions. And no hyperlinks to other info in entries. I don't like diplomacy. I can't tell what other Civs think of me unless they're hostile or at war with me.

The game in general seems to have major balance issues. It feels like I'm flying through the tech tree.

The AI does seem pretty weird. I had Russia to the north of me and Persia even farther north. Russia clearly hated me. I built a couple border cities to block off access to my land. Meanwhile I was friendly with Persia and made lots of deals. Persia still only has one city and it's almost AD. I see a huge Persian army traveling south past my northern border city all the way down, deep into my territory to my capital city. Even with open borders running out, it was impossible to stop them from crossing my territory since you can embark pretty much anywhere pretty early. Either way, they were obviously going to betray me, and it was in a very stupid strategic move, and I easily crushed his huge army with pretty much a couple warriors, an archer, and my city defenses. It seemed like Persia spent the whole game just building units to send to the slaughter in a pointless war against a far city they had no hope of capturing.

But the worst thing is the crashing. I have two crashes I can reproduce no matter what. The first was running in DirectX10 version, and zooming in on my unit would instantly crash the game. The second is from loading a save game after already loading one. I have to completely quit to desktop to load another game. The game doesn't even have tips during the load screen. Just forces you to watch the same leader screen.

Anyways. Had to get that off my chest. I didn't expect it to be like Civ4, but so many design choices seem like a step backwards. I don't want to be one of those people that say this game sucks. But I feel it needs some honest criticism.

But the overall graphics seem worse than Civ4
I expected them to be better. But still saying they are worse than civ4 is going too far. They are nice, but not perfect
The game in general seems slow.
It feels like I'm flying through the tech tree.
In my opinion the production and tile improvement is too slow. The teching is ok (a bit fast, but Im on normal and played epic on civ4)
Especially the Civilopedia. It's way too difficult to find out information.
Really? Looks very fast for me. I just use search. I think I havent ever clicked on the menu, just always use search.
The AI does seem pretty weird.
Agree, diplomacy is screwed up. Actually there is no diplomacy at all, besides some trades. Its juts random warfare.
But the worst thing is the crashing.
I crashed random all the times until somebody told me to play on dx9 instead of 11. haven't crashed since, although it looks a bit worse.

I (mostly) agree. I only played the demo, it took me several hours (so indeed slow), where I didn't have much fun. The consels aren't very useful and the game mechanics aren't very interesting (or I didn't understand them, but I have doubts here).
It all has a "call to power" feeling ie lots of good ideas, but not an overall good gaming experience.

My initial complaints now pale to my complaints about how horrible multiplayer is. My brother and I started a LAN game, and we couldn't get past the first turn because it would get stuck on "waiting for players." I don't know how we fixed it, maybe from loading in a game instead of starting a new one? Which leads to my next complaint. Saving and loading is screwed up and almost nonexistent. You can save games by pressing CTRL+S, but it doesn't let you actually load those games in. Only way to load in a save game is by relying on autosaves. Multiplayer is basically a stripped down single-player. There's no unit animations and no leaderheads. Ironically, the game runs a lot better and smoother in multiplayer without all of the crashes I'd get in singleplayer. But still, it's ridiculous that they intentionally strip multiplayer down like that without even the option to choose if you want the graphical frills or not. Supposedly, it was done to speed up the game, but the animations take about as long as the unit to magically teleport. And I've seen units literally teleport from out of nowhere. And the game considers you disconnected if you ever alt tab to read the manual or do something else. There's no way to switch off simultaneous turns either. Very disappointed now. I could've forgiven the game's few shortcomings, but these multiplayer problems make me mad and I wouldn't have bought this had I known. I pretty much bought it specifically for multiplayer, as did my brother. I'm shocked it got such high ratings now.

Top Bottom