Names for lakes, mountain ranges, deserts, and volcanoes: 100% random?

ScythianBeastie

Chieftain
For the newest vanilla DLC Civs and modded Civs, I've noticed that the names of rivers and seas associated with my civ show up regularly when discovered by my civilization... but the names of lakes, mountain ranges, deserts, and volcanoes are entirely random from across the world, and are almost never from my civilization.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a bug or a feature?

I just enabled FireTuner/debug and revealed the entire map so I can check this out as I go along. Names are being applied as my civ or other civs get close to features, but for (some) mountains, (all) volcanoes, (all) deserts, and (some) lakes, the names are entirely random -- not names associated with our civilizations. I'd expect it to be names associated with our civilizations, and am not sure why it's 100% random. For instance, Phoenicia got the Sea of Galilee (expected) and the Antilibanus Mountains (expected), but got the volcano Beerenberg (not expected). I'm playing a mod as Texas, and my civ got the Pamir Mountains (not expected), even though there are defined mountain ranges in the mod.

SOME GOOD NEWS: I went through and painstakingly rebuilt the relevant entries in the mod I was using in the .sql file format instead of in XML, and some of it is working now.

For that mod, I'm getting local volcano names. Mountain names have still been world-generic, and I haven't yet come across a lake in my test game.

I don't know why the XML wouldn't work. XML is how I'm used to building things for earlier versions of Civ, but I'm willing to learn a new method if it gets things to work.

UPDATE: Lakes have local names. Have not yet seen mountains or deserts with local names, although they are defined.
UPDATE #2: Mountain range got a local name. Oddly, the volcano next to my first city did not.
UPDATE #3: Desert got a local name. So SQL is a workaround. I don't get why XML isn't working, though. I've skimmed the file for the usual little coding mistakes (missing quotes, etc.) and haven't found any.

Last edited:
Top Bottom