National Hockey League 2010-11 season

Flames lost tonight. Should pretty well put them out of the playoff race. Now maybe they can finally get around to the rebuild that is desperately needed this summer.

Great past few games. Even though my Flyers lost to the Caps, that game's still one of the best I've seen since Game 7 (do I really need to say which one). Penguins was still good, and I can't wait for the Bruins-Flyers game.

And no, I don't follow the Bruins. Never really did.

Flames lost tonight. Should pretty well put them out of the playoff race. Now maybe they can finally get around to the rebuild that is desperately needed this summer.
The Blackhawks are trying to keep them in it.

Hamhuis appears to have another concussion. Or at least is following the concussion protocol for a knock to the head.

What is with the Canucks and defensemen?? It's like they're not allowed to be healthy for an entire season... :cry:

I just picked up tickets for the Red Wings home game against St Louis on Wednesday night!! :w00t:

Come to Raleigh tonight ;) .

You can get a ticket for like $25 for the very upper level. Under $50 for some decent ones. Hey, and hotdogs will only be like a dollar because it is College Night. Get extra discount on tickets if have student ID. But the hotdogs are terrible IMO. :D

I know Montreal fans tend to invade arenas around the eastern seaboard (and Florida!). Seriously I saw a game on TV against the Panthers where the crowd was overwhelmingly rooting for the Canadiens. Damn snowbirds.

It is also because the Panthers are terrible. I remember when the Blackhawks played them at home, the TV commentators said that there were a lot of Blackhawks fans there.

Western conference clinched before anyone else has a playoff spot. Four more points and we've got ourselves the President's. Just need Dan Sedin to get 4-5 more points to clinch his Art Ross and that gets us right and ready for the playoffs.

Western conference clinched before anyone else has a playoff spot. Four more points and we've got ourselves the President's

I hope you enjoy the complimentary first round playoff defeat that comes with the President's Trophy :p

I love the Canucks but I'm not confident of their chances. As SuperBeaver alluded to they have "first round playoff exit" written all over them. I hope I'm wrong.

So...how was the game :mischief:

Um... it was a historic occasion for the Detroit Red Wings, and I was honored to be in attendance to witness a truly rare event in NHL hockey. :cringe:

Of all the games to score last-minutes tickets for... :wallbash:

I love the Canucks but I'm not confident of their chances. As SuperBeaver alluded to they have "first round playoff exit" written all over them. I hope I'm wrong.

You realize the Canucks have only lost one game in their last twelve right? Many of these games were against playoff hungry teams like Calgary, Nashville, Anaheim and Phoenix and nine were on the road. Keep in mind that we're still missing Edler, Samuelsson and now Hamhuis who should all be back in time for round one. Obviously anything can happen, but to say the Canucks have 'first round exit written all over them' is pretty silly to be honest.

The President's trophy goes to the best team in the regular season. Statistically the best team during the regular season has the best shot at the cup (ie. when you take a sample size that is actually large enough to make an inference). So we've had three years where the top team performed poorly in April. That happens when outcomes are probabilistic. It doesn't change the fact that the team with the best shot in the postseason is the team that won the most during the season.

Ottawa signs highly-touted college prospect Stephane da Costa

You realize the Canucks have only lost one game in their last twelve right? Many of these games were against playoff hungry teams like Calgary, Nashville, Anaheim and Phoenix and nine were on the road. Keep in mind that we're still missing Edler, Samuelsson and now Hamhuis who should all be back in time for round one. Obviously anything can happen, but to say the Canucks have 'first round exit written all over them' is pretty silly to be honest.

The President's trophy goes to the best team in the regular season. Statistically the best team during the regular season has the best shot at the cup (ie. when you take a sample size that is actually large enough to make an inference). So we've had three years where the top team performed poorly in April. That happens when outcomes are probabilistic. It doesn't change the fact that the team with the best shot in the postseason is the team that won the most during the season.

In the last 10 seasons, 4 President's Trophy winners have been knocked out in the first round, and only 3 have won the Stanley Cup.

In the last 10 seasons, 4 President's Trophy winners have been knocked out in the first round, and only 3 have won the Stanley Cup.

Eh? Using just those stats you can extrapolate that a President's Trophy winner has a 30% chance of winning the Stanely Cup while any other team in the playoffs has only a 4.7% chance of winning the Cup.

Also, a President's Trophy winner has a 40% chance of getting knocked out in the first round, compared to a 50.7% chance of getting knocked out in the first round for the other teams.

Eh? Using just those stats you can extrapolate that a President's Trophy winner has a 30% chance of winning the Stanely Cup while any other team in the playoffs has only a 4.7% chance of winning the Cup.

Also, a President's Trophy winner has a 40% chance of getting knocked out in the first round, compared to a 50.7% chance of getting knocked out in the first round for the other teams.

This fellow understands statistics.

Top Bottom