Native civs in New World with less tech...

snakebyte

Chieftain
I like Earth Type Maps... where all the civs start in one or more continents and there are others continents that are empty of civs (only barbarian).

I like when I found the tech to navigate in sea, when I can sail to find the new word and to colonize them.

It's beautiful that the new world is full of barbarian city, in this way i can simulate the colonizing of new world by conquesting the native, like us history!

This mod it's great because I could meet full civ in new world that are born from barbarian city!

But there is a problem... the civs that born from barbarian in new word have the same tech like the original civs...

I would the civs in new world have less tech than civs in old world...

It's beautiful if I go in new world when i am in Rinascimental age and the native civs are in classical age!

I tried to modify Revolution.ini to do this way... but I can't understand some lines...

I understoad that I must modify these lines (I hope):

; Enable to keep new world free of civilizations until someone lands a unit on it
FreeNewWorld = False
; Former barbarians get all techs known by this fraction of players
BarbTechFrac = 0.60
; Reduce tech giving to Former barbarians alone on a continent (larger means they're more behind)
NewWorldReduction = 0.40

In which way must I modify this lines?
must I modify other lines?

EDIT: an example: In the mod Rhye's and Fall, if you are a European Civ, when you go in new world you can meet Aztech, Maya and Inca civs that have very less tech!

Yes, those settings should mean the new world civs will be far behind. Basically, the new civs will only get techs known by every other player in the world at the time they spawn so they will be at the tech level of the barbarians.

For the next version I'll make an easier system where you can set the number of eras behind the new world will be.

Then NewWorldReduction=0.40 is the right number? The default was 0.15.

If I set FreeNewWorld=true, I could have problems?

I don't understand the meaning of BarbTechFrac... the fraction of players or the fraction of tech of the players?

Yes, NewWorldReduction of 0.40 or 0.30 is a good choice, will keep them a little farther back.

Setting FreeNewWorld to True will mean that the first explorers to land on the New World will find only Barbarian cities, which will slowly become full civs as more explorers and colonists show up ... this may be what you're after, however, if the civs form later they won't be as behind in tech (since what they get for free initially is based on the state of the other players tech knowledge). Setting this to False means there will be some civs already formed, but most of the time there should still be some empty space or barb cities.

BarbTechFrac means the new civ will gain all technology known by this fraction of the players in the game. The default 60% means they'll show up more or less 'in the running' of the tech race ... a bit behind if they're militaristic, maybe with one new tech if they're more of a builder. The new world reduction setting basically adjusts this so that (BarbTechFrac + NewWorldReduction) fraction of players have to know the tech before the new civ gets it ... (so .6 + .4 makes it 100%).

Yeah I agree, I was playing a terra map and I wasn't too behind technologically but once the new world powers started to turn into full fledged nations they were trading techs with me. Maybe make new world barbs/city states only start developing after meeting a fraction/number of playerse? Just my thoughts lol, great mod!

Check the options in the .ini

This thread is from several versions ago. I always play with option 5 (I think), which is "No barbarian civs until someone founds a city in the new world". I also have barb civs set to be 25% behind and at least 1 era in tech, and having techs only known to 100% of civs.

Where it says "Reduce tech given to former barbarians alone on a continent" in the config file, does that affect the whole new world as well? The variable name is NewWorldReduction after all. I'd like to tone down the tech of the new civs in the new world but I don't want to have old world barb civs be less powerful because of that. Hopefully this is the right variable and doesn't just change those barb civs on small islands or those just starting to pop up in the new world (both of which would make them "alone").

EDIT: Also, is there a config variable for techdiffusion for new world civs or one that affects it? I'd like to be able to adjust it so that new world civs don't get as much of an effect from it as old world ones (unless they are (or were originally) a colony; but I don't know if these are technically new world civs).

NewWorldReduction applies to any barb civ starting on a land mass that has no presence from one of the original civs in the game (or one of their off shoots) ... old world barb civs aren't affected.

There currently aren't any config variables in TechDiffusion, but I think the current method works quite well for this scenario. Techs diffuse based on contacts and relations, so the new world will remain separate and see no benefits until old world civs start to show up. As more and more contacts are made between the two, the rate of diffusion will slowly increase ... if new world civs become vassals of the old world or sign open border arrangements, then this process will accelerate, war lowers the rate of transfer (but does not stop it).

Right now there's no measure of how far apart civs are to influence diffusion, I felt like it was pretty well covered by # of contacts and by having the rate and total possible amount of diffusion increase as the eras go by.

Excellent, then all I have to worry about is adjusting NewWorldReduction to my liking! :D And if TechDiffusion works like you say then us hardcore new world realists won't have to worry about nerfing anything (besides, we should have powerful high-tech new world civs into the later game like in the real world).

Top Bottom