Natives

stryfe

Chieftain
How does one avoid angering the natives?

In my first game I was attacked by a native tribe after a while and when I checked what was causing thier unhappiness, I had a -6 for taking their land. Now I've seen them ask me for money to found new cities on their land and I've always either paid it or not built the city, so how else am I taking their land without knowing?

Does starting a mission help keep the natives happy?

Any other tips for dealing with natives either kindly or otherwise?

Border increases anger them.

Missions definitely help, and so does trading with them.

I didn't have any border increases because I neglected to produce any bells. I realize that was dumb now but it was my frist game and I was figuring things out. The only thing I can think is that cities I founded had thier one square borders on native land. Is there an easy way to tell where native territory begins? Is it just a radius for each of their cities?

Being French helps a lot :)

I always play French, and supply my red friends with guns and horses and trinkets and we throw parties and life is great.

Natives have the same 1-square culture radius even though they don't show on the map. If you hover your mouse over a tile it shows the cultural percentages.

Natives have the same 1-square culture radius even though they don't show on the map. If you hover your mouse over a tile it shows the cultural percentages.
There are some native cities that have a fat-cross culture boundary. Incas I believe are one, and Aztecs may be another.

Additionally, you can zoom out to the globe level and select the cultural layer in order to see native borders.

Try playing as Frontenac, trade, convert and train with the natives then kill them when they get annoyed with you.

Aztec is annoyed (-7 relation) with me, and yet they didn't attack me. Whereas the other tribe that has +1 relation attack me.

I am not sure whether the +/- relationship point has any effect or not. Trading , sending colonist to live with them does not seems to affect the +/- relationship modifier. Hmmm

It could just be that someone bribed the other tribe into attacking. I'm guessing that Monty isn't his normal psychotic self in Colonization.

I've yet to get attacked by natives... what are you guys doing different than me?

I always repect territorial integrity. And send out swarms of scouts.

Any ideas how to improve the relation with the natives?? Their behavior seems erratic to me.

I pay them money when using their land, but as I expand they will eventually become unhappy :(
This is much more difficult to handle than in Col1

do not build on there land.
and sell them lots of guns+horses.
it will make em really happy.
also missons does wonders.

I really don't get the native mechanics on the mid levels, which I've started playing on. I settled next door to the Aztecs. Established four or five missionaries fairly early on. I've traded with them on several occasions, both what they specifically wanted and other goods as well. My relationship was a net even, attitude was 'Pleased,' and, bam, Monty declares war. Is this just unavoidable as difficulty goes up? If so, when is the best time to wipe natives out?

I think there's still a little psycho left in Monty from his CIV days. :p

(i have played on governor diff)
in my first two games i was very friendly, always payed for the land and didnt build settlements too close to them. they declared war on me anyway... So in my third game i went on a different approach: i didnt pay for the land, i even put my first colony next to a native one. My plan was to destroy them so instead paying for the land i bought one cannon/per city. However i'm a a nice guy so eventually i didn't attack and neither the natives. Later on they even disbanded their own villages which were inside my border

I have never had any problems with the natives. Ever. So I'm kind of confused as to why other people are.

What I generally do is I try not to encroach on their turf as best as I can. If it can't be avoided I pay for it (but I also try to make sure only one tile overlaps with them). Then I either trade with them or set up missions. As a result, I always have a healthy amount of manual labor to till the fields, bring in the ore, etc. If I could, I would train them also into veteran soldiers at universities, but that doesnt' seem to be an option this time around. :mad:

To keep them on your good side, just periodically gift them horses, arms, or manufactured goods (I imagine story-wise with delivering rum for free, it turns the native settlement into a giant Happy Hour). Overall, you don't bother them too much, they'll reciprocate.

EDIT: However, be aware. One way to anger them by accident (I think this is a bug) is by capturing other European settlements by force. If THEY took the land by force, and you take it from the Europeans, then the natives whose land was stolen will blame YOU for having their land stolen, and your relations will drop accordingly.

I´m also confused about native behaevior. In my last game I was not at bad terms with Logan - then suddenly he attacked me anyway.

It seems to me that when it comes to diplomacy and declaration of war, native settlements are responding more civ-like than col-like (meaning their actions does not nessessarily correlate with relation)
Traditionally, in the orginal col, natives never attacked as long as you did not really do something to anger them somehow.

In colonization, I´m not too happy about beeing attacked unprovokedly since to me this is supposed to be a game about resources, and what you can do with your resources in order to prevent war in the first place!
If you use your resources wiesly and get nice relations with a native tribe - and the tribe still attacks you - then the entire game seems somewhat pointless.

may I say that every1 of above posters wasnt posting how game actually works but how game SHOULD work due to common sense.

Good relations to natives dont stop them attacking u!
Bad relations dont make em attack u!

Or how else d u explain that often enough u get attacked by the +6 happy green natives but not from the anoyed ones?

Usually u get attacked by the close neigbour howering through your land seeing empty cities.

Only thing helps ..
MILITARTY - natives ll only attack u if they see a chance of winning - just have some canons in your city and you r save.

of course, it is always possible that an A.I controlled european powers bribe a native tribe to war... :undecide:

If I could, I would train them also into veteran soldiers at universities, but that doesnt' seem to be an option this time around. :mad:

A bit off-topic, but the work-around solution seems to be to train the Native Convert at the village. After that, you should be able to remove the specialty and turn them into Free Colonists, which could then be trained as Veteran Soldiers - clunky and slow, but it gets there eventually.

Top Bottom