Natural Wonder Bonus?!

Voodoo111

Chieftain
At the risk of this being in the wrong thread, I have a question. Last nite while playing Celts, my scout tripped over El Dorado embedded deep in a jungle within Budapest territory. 500 gold was awarded for 1st to discover. I began to think back and honestly could not remember how many playthroughs I have went without getting that nice early infusion of cash. It's been quite a few tbh. So... I just chalk it up to bad luck, poor timing, wha'eva.

Fast forward to this morning, started a new game w/ Polynesia...Large Islands. Moved my settler to a hill hex, sent my warrior north 2 hex. 2nd turn...settle on gold FIRST, then move my warrior north...Mt. Sinai is spotted, but no gold?!?!?! To make matters worse, about 5 turns later my warrior finds Rock of Gibaltrar to the south, and no 1st time bonus for that either.

Now it's definitely possible that the Iroquois, who were on an island just to my east, spotted Gibaltrar before I did, but there is no way they found Sinai on the 2nd turn!!!

Am I missing something simple here that I am not aware of?

IIRC, only El Dorado gives gold for discovery, unless you are the spanish.

What does Spain get for discovering El Dorado first? 1000 gold?

Spain on a continents map will get the 500 gold for a first discovery very often.

I started a game as Spain today, at turn 3 I find a religious wonder giving 8 faith, On turn 9-10 I find Cerro de Potasi. A 1000 gold, what am I going to do with that?

Bought a worker and a scout on turn 3, bought a settler on turn 9 or 10, grabbed the religious wonder. Used the mountain for one turn, 16 faith, chose the desert pantheon as the whole area was floodplains.

Stopped there. It's only King so maybe I play this for some reason one day, but I won't whinge again about bad starts. :lol:

I started a game as Spain today, at turn 3 I find a religious wonder giving 8 faith, On turn 9-10 I find Cerro de Potasi. A 1000 gold, what am I going to do with that?

Bought a worker and a scout on turn 3, bought a settler on turn 9 or 10, grabbed the religious wonder. Used the mountain for one turn, 16 faith, chose the desert pantheon as the whole area was floodplains.

Stopped there. It's only King so maybe I play this for some reason one day, but I won't whinge again about bad starts. :lol:

Seriously, go back to the autosave and pick the natural wonder pantheon. There is no way desert folklore is better than the +4 per natural wonder - because it's doubled with spain, effectively making Mt. Sinai a +24 faith per turn tile, and Cerro De Potosi giving you +20 gold + 8 faith per turn.

The bonus from desert folklore, comparatively, would require you to work 16 tiles of desert, and at this point you don't even have 16 pop in your entire empire, i figure.

Now, get holy warriors + tithe and destroy the world. Great fun.

Also, if I remember correctly, even though flood plains are desert, I don't think the desert faith pantheon awards any faith for flood plain tiles, just raw desert and desert hills?

Also, if I remember correctly, even though flood plains are desert, I don't think the desert faith pantheon awards any faith for flood plain tiles, just raw desert and desert hills?

Desert Folklore does in fact apply to flood plains and I think even oasis. Petra, however, does not affect flood plains, but I think also applies to oasis. Can't check to be sure at the moment.

Desert Folklore does in fact apply to flood plains and I think even oasis. Petra, however, does not affect flood plains, but I think also applies to oasis. Can't check to be sure at the moment.
Yes, oases can improved from both Petra and Desert Folklore. So do certain mountains (on desert tiles) and natural wonders (on desert).

I can confirm this.

Crud. That means I picked the wrong Pantheon in the game I'm currently playing.

Sigh.

Top Bottom