1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NavyDawg's Unit Creation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by NavyDawg, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Iron Beagle

Iron Beagle Designated Marksman

I'm pretty sure just saying: "Sorry, but I don't take unit requests" would work.

2. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

Jesus, 5 requests on that last page alone! And after a 11 unit list, :lol:. Sorry for PMing you, man, I had no idea what was on your plate!

3. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

NavyDawg... I'm going ot soon be working on a Female Elvan Marine, which could easily be adapted to a Modern Female commando, so you don't actually have to do that one if you don't want to.... (See my preview thread for the current working model). If you still do want to make your commando chick, then more power to ya!

4. NavyDawg

NavyDawg Audentes Fortuna Iuvat

Here's an edited list based on your comments. I'll think I'll be tapped out on modern infantry, at least for awhile, if and when I get through all of these.

1. Female Commando
    2. Bedouin w/ AK-47
    3. Standard Russian Soldier w/ AK-47 or 74
    4. US Ranger in Desert Gear w/ M-4 and Maybe Grenade Launcher
    5. Generic African Soldier w/ AK-47
    6. Winter Camo Soldier
    7. Some kind of PLA Soldier (China)
    8. Generic Arab Soldier
    9. Generic Indian Soldier (need some ideas)
    10. German Soldier w/ G36
    11. British Soldier w/ Sa80 (If I can find one)
    12. MAYBE a commando with a Gas Mask
    13. Maybe something else to round out the modern infantry lines, or more likely I'll move on to some future era infantry

5. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

I guess this means no more western units?
    Such as an outlaw, a cowboy, a mounted sheriff, a gold miner, etc.
    (I know there are units that could be used for these, but in my opinion the modern infantry lines don't need any more units, so its just a matter of perspective)
    I know you have a lot of units to work on, and i'm grateful for your contribution. The only reason I bring it up is because in your sheriff thread you said you were planning on doing more western units.

6. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

I have a Thompson or a Bren gun, would that work for the British?

7. NavyDawg

I still do. I can't say when, but I might throw an outlaw in before I finish this list for a little variety.;)

TopGun - I have props for those too, but I think I need something more modern. I might do WWII someday, but that's probably a way's off.

8. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

We want a modern British

9. W.i.n.t.e.r

W.i.n.t.e.r Frozen!

how about a Latin American or Asian (think more like Indonesia than China) one as well? :)

10. Theta

Theta Chieftain

If you can't find an SA80, don't worry, the entire army hates it. The only ones that don't are cadets (youth club).

11. Iron Beagle

Iron Beagle Designated Marksman

If you can't find an SA80 you could also give the British soldier a SAW(I think it goes by a different name in the UK but it's still a SAW) or a General Purpose Machine Gun GPMG: a bipod-mounted 7.62mm machine gun.

12. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

Are you saying you are going to do a more butch version of your female without the elf-ears? Or are you saying that your thinner elfs with the big pointy ears could also be used as generic female soldiers?

13. W.i.n.t.e.r

W.i.n.t.e.r Frozen!

If you are so keen to see war I suggest you join the army yourself, instead of talking bull****e !

Edit: I hope you referred to Civ3?

14. Theta

Theta Chieftain

I was joking, i'm THAT immature, and i'm too young too join the army at the moment.

15. W.i.n.t.e.r

W.i.n.t.e.r Frozen!

Darn, and I was hoping for an oportunity to flame someone :p Xqueze me & Nuff said...

16. BadKharma

BadKharma Deity

That list looks good. As far as modern infantry being played out I hardly think so. Right now other than the Spetznaz and recolord Spetznaz the only unit with an AK-47 is the guerrilla. Other than the M-4 (M-16) the AK-47 is the most widely used and exported weapon on the market. Infantry armed with an AK-47 AK-74 can be used for a large number of countries.

17. DJ Bonebraker

I'll be doing a version of the elvaan marine without the elf ears, and WITH a modern kevlar helmet or beret, and, If I can find a good camo pattern, camoflage on the non-civ colored parts....

18. NavyDawg

Attached Files:

19. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

Cool... Because while I admire the skill with which you make your elvaan units, I personally have never been able to use them. If possible, it might work better to have her gain a tiny bit of weight. I have some premade camo patterns I can post this weekend. Have you looked at the camo maker utility that Navydawg posted? I haven't tried it, but it looks quite promising.

20. DJ Bonebraker

NavyDawg: Thanks, I'll look into that after work or sometime I got a few minutes.... I got a bunch of trees to plant as soon as I get home from work.

Bjorn: You may be in luck: Aiko has a sort of Female body-builder morph (Muscular), which, IIRC, that clothing pack DOES support, so I could beef her up a bit that way.... Of course, I've known some really petite female sailors who looked kind of like that... There was this one young lady on one of my ships who kind of got swallowed by her tactical vest when she got geared up for pier sentry duty :lol:

But anyways, that's for after I get the Elvaan infantry and marine done.

BTW, Bjorn, if there is any other of my Elvaan units that you might want to see redone as a RL type unit, just PM me.