Need for version control when modding?

Hello,

If I wanted to make a modmod of C2C, and want to be able to incorporate new developments in this amazing mod. such as the new combat system, should I use the SVN system?

Well... yes. However, if you'd like to fully express your plans, we may be able to reach some consensus in your mod plan(s) and simply add you to the team ;) Experimental stuff can be made modular and even based on new game option tools we now have to work with to adjust gameobjects like units and promos to new definitions only if game options are in use.

If you'd like to help with combat mod devel or you have some ideas you'd like to implement there, I'm quite happy to discuss that with you in depth! I have concepts and some concrete plans there but more concepts that plans. And it'll be a lot of xml work to bring it all together, and balance work and playtesting and so on and help on that would be extremely helpful.

In fact, I have some unit xml work to do on my plate now that I was considering attempting to get some help with if you'd like to pitch in a bit - nothing too intense ;) The more help I can get the more I can accomplish! And that goes for the whole team really. We all have lots of plans and limited time :D

If you use SVN branching then yes. SVN isn't the best for multiple lines of development (git would be the best for that), but since we all understand SVN we will use that.

However I'd suggest that you make a modmod and post it here. If we like it it could get included in the core.

Well... yes. However, if you'd like to fully express your plans, we may be able to reach some consensus in your mod plan(s) and simply add you to the team ;) Experimental stuff can be made modular and even based on new game option tools we now have to work with to adjust gameobjects like units and promos to new definitions only if game options are in use.

If you'd like to help with combat mod devel or you have some ideas you'd like to implement there, I'm quite happy to discuss that with you in depth! I have concepts and some concrete plans there but more concepts that plans. And it'll be a lot of xml work to bring it all together, and balance work and playtesting and so on and help on that would be extremely helpful.

In fact, I have some unit xml work to do on my plate now that I was considering attempting to get some help with if you'd like to pitch in a bit - nothing too intense ;) The more help I can get the more I can accomplish! And that goes for the whole team really. We all have lots of plans and limited time :D

If you use SVN branching then yes. SVN isn't the best for multiple lines of development (git would be the best for that), but since we all understand SVN we will use that.

However I'd suggest that you make a modmod and post it here. If we like it it could get included in the core.

Both above sounds good to me!!:)

Well, my plan is to incorporate things from FfH modmods such as spells, damages, etc. Given that C2C is a combination of many mods, I am starting to think that I might add what I want to the Orbis mod using the nifty excel file as an XML editor and then look to add things from C2C later seeing as how a lot of it is modular. Not really sure.

As for helping out with the combat system. Sign me up. I can be an XML monkey. The system proposed is great and exactly what I have envisioned for my own mod and I think it would work well with what I have in mind. (ie. GI Joe or Transformers)

Well, my plan is to incorporate things from FfH modmods such as spells, damages, etc. Given that C2C is a combination of many mods, I am starting to think that I might add what I want to the Orbis mod using the nifty excel file as an XML editor and then look to add things from C2C later seeing as how a lot of it is modular. Not really sure.

As for helping out with the combat system. Sign me up. I can be an XML monkey. The system proposed is great and exactly what I have envisioned for my own mod and I think it would work well with what I have in mind. (ie. GI Joe or Transformers)

Beware, when working with adding in FfH stuff, half is in the python and the other inside the dll, so you'd have to know SDK and python also, XML/

So have you read through the Combat Mod posts (links provided in the Modder's Documentation thread 1st post)?

I'm about to be needing to add a huge host of new UnitCombat Classes. There's a link there on the same Modder's doc page that walks through how to add those. Adding them could be a huge help. In the first Combat Mod thread we've been discussing and working out the new Combat Classes we're looking to add (and doing so via a google doc: here!)

The first page on that doc has animals on there but I believe the animal ccs are more sorted out on the second page.

Anyhow, let me know if you'd like to work on that with us. I'll probably have to take some time to work up all the graphics for the new ones but that won't be too tough.

As an aside, yes, the Combat Mod is envisioned to provide a platform for a lot of further modding based on C2C such as you suggest. I'd been considering a Marvel mod and a Greyhawk based fantasy mod someday but I figure those are still many years out at best. But the platform building is coming together here and now I think.

Ok, so I've updated the SubCombat Classes document in preparation for getting some help here. The first page indicates all the Combat Classes we'll need. It may not be a perfect nor completely exhaustive list, and Weapons should be held off until further development work, but the rest are an 'if we don't have it we'll need it' affair.

With Hydro and DH's consent, I believe we can fairly safely say those are the CCs we'll be needing.

Ok... I'd had that as a question for you there for a while and it had gone unanswered so I did an update to what I personally thought they'd best be classified as and certainly don't mind your adjustment thereafter.

What's up with moving the Lagomorph (Rabbit) over one space? We have the giant rabbit - would be nice to adapt it to a smaller, more real one.

@ William: Note that the Armors themselves are not combat classes, just the categories of them are.

Sorry guys,

I have been busy with planning a move and packing and what not. I am very interested in helping out, but it will have to wait until I am moved and settled in Ecuador in September.

Top Bottom