Need help ending a war

Berul

Chieftain
Hey everyone,

In my current game, Alexander declared war on me around t100 and, from then on, I have been repeling his attacks, almost all of them directed at 2 of my cities on the border.

Since the war started, I haven't been heavily focusing on defending or counter-attacking (the military ratio in his favor has dropped from 0.7 to 0.4 - I lost 20 units, mostly spears, while he lost 63, including 23 cats and 23 horsemen) because I didn't want to hamper my tech rate and I thought the war would soon be over.

What worries me is that we're now on t169 (normal speed) and he still won't sign a peace treaty unless I give him one of my cities ! It really feels like this war has been going on for a long time.

Any advice on how I could stop this war (without gifting a city) ? Should I threaten one of his cities ? If I just defend, can this war last forever ? Do I need to build more armies ?

Right now, I've teched astronomy (still have a monopoly on optics), I've met everyone and will get Education next turn (first one here, too). Considering techs, only Hannibal is close behind me, others are more-or-so outpaced (playing on emperor, continents). I *could* build a huge army now (only have 6 cities, tho) but I'd rather wait until HH/cavalry which would make war much easier. I guess I can defend and still maintain a decent tech rate (I will most likely be the first to lib), but the sooner this war would be over, the better...

When you ask AIs what they want in return for peace they will only ever suggest what they want, but that's not necessarily the only thing they'll take for peace. It's entirely possible that Alex will take a cheap tech or some gold in return for peace, you just have to check (and endure repeated refusals and the fact that if you can't ask an AI if they'll accept a deal, only offer a deal for the AI to accept or refuse).

Beyond that convincing Alex to accept peace is a matter of doing damage without being dealt damage in turn - kill units, take cities, just generally destroy everything he's ever known and loved without having the same done to you. I'm pretty sure having a higher military power and/or bribing others onto Alex will help convince him to sign peace with you.

Thanks for the answers :)

I offered Aesthetics + CoL and got that peace treaty, finally !

Top Bottom