Need help fighting Mahala's stack

Akbarthegreat

Angel of Junil
Playing Extramodmod, monarch on Erebus Continent mapscript. Tethira (exp/agg) of the Bannor.

So I'm stuck in a predicament where I know I'm going to be attacked in some turns (surprised I haven't been already), but I'm not sure how to defend exactly. A couple of screenshots, first my stack versus Mahala's:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

He has a large number of sons of asena and drowned, all with iron weapons (I have bronze). But the bigger problem is that he has a cultist or two hanging around there. As you can see in the picture, Hyol is very susceptible to tsunami. What's worse, he has haste and could theoretically DoW and attack the city in one turn. I have an adept casting wall of stone in Hyol, but I'm not sure that'll stand multiple Tsunamis.

A few screens of my empire if they help:
Spoiler :

and the power rating:eek::
Spoiler :

So coming to the important part. I have a couple of options:
1. I've researched fanaticism, so I can call crusade and cast my world spell, and bring lots of demagogues. Since I'm not at war currently I'll need to declare on a faraway civ (probably infernals) to switch in. Seems like overkill though, I wanted to save my world spell for when I have a larger empire.
2. Abandon Hyol, wait outside the city and attack his stack when it moves in
3. Try some clever tactics to kill his stack before it can take the city. Problem is I'm not sure what tactics I can use here. Is there a way to somehow avoid tsunami/stop his units/force them to take another route? Unfortunately, he's already placed a fort nearby so I can't put another one.
4. Summon the Mercurians. Should I? The gate is really expensive and those hammers would be better-spent building units but I'm beginning to feel that if anyone is saving me in this hellhole surrounded by evil civs, it's going to be Basium :lol:

What should I do? I'm loath to give up on this game, hoping I can at least drag it out for 100 more turns at least, already Sheaim have started raising the armageddon counter :cry:

Welcoming any other help/suggestions as well. Attached a save in case anyone wants to have a go.

Attachments

• EMM Tethira Bannor Monarch.CivBeyondSwordSave
    334.1 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
An update: I played through and as expected, Mahala attacked me ~15 turns later. The catch? He did not bring along his cultists for whatever reason :hmm:. For support instead he brought along 7 or 8 mages, literally none of whom had any level 2 spells :lol:

I quickly called crusade, whittled down and killed his stack. Even after very poor play the AI incompetence seemed to have saved me. I also captured a couple of his cities.

Until, in a span of 10 turns, the entire world declared war on me. Now I have to deal with random stacks of illusionists and chariots popping up near my borders. Luckily I have tons of demagogues but that also means I cant make peace on one front to concentrate on another :sad:

Calling this a game, since I don't think I can win it anymore.

Top Bottom