1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help! Noble Roosevelt on Earth 18!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Civman33, May 25, 2011.

1. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

If anyone is planning on starting an Earth18 series, I suggest downloading and using the StartingLocations mod:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14423

Load the mod, open the sr-neutral map as a custom scenario and you can choose or randomize the familiar Earth18 map with any of the 36 civs in BTS in or very close to their historical locations! Makes the game so much more fun playing as Roosevelt when you don't know who will spawn. You might get both Bull and Monty as neighbours or you might get all of Americas empty except you! Or you can choose the civs you want...

The mod doesn't change any gameplay mechanics and is bug-free. I've been using for a while.

2. kensington888

kensington888 Warlord

3. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

My game is up to Turn 100, or 375BC. I will post a save for comments, feedback, and advice, but will leave out the screenies.

I settled four more cities:
    Moosonee, ON (T79) claiming the Copper and the Fur
    Cranbrook, AB (T85) to claim the Silver
    Vancouver, BC (T94) and now we are coast to coast
    Sydney, NS (T95) if that was not enough

Basically I was either grabbing luxury resources for extra city size or grabbing good food sites. I only see one more site around San Fransisco, CA with the Deer and the Clam. I should be able to grab that within the next ten turns.

Claiming San Francisco will complete my Pincer movement around Montezuma. With Earth18 being what it is, he is now trapped in a corner of North America and a Mountain in Panama blocks him from South America.

My research was as follows:
    Writing (77)
    Mathematics (85)
    Currency (96)
    Working on Code of Laws (103 or 104)

After that I am thinking:
    Metal Casting (Cheap Forges are next)
    Construction (I am going to need Catapults!)
    Meditation - Polytheism - Monotheism - Priesthood (Religious Path)
    Monarchy (Build those cities right up to the Healthy Cap!)
    Aesthetics - Literature - Drama - Music

The priority is to get some Axes, Swords, and Catauplts going and deal with Montezuma. Then I can shift my attention to what Wonders I can build and how I am going to get in contact with the Old World.

I am attaching a save, but no pictures as of yet. I will remove the save when I get some more turns in - and then I can do a more detailed action report.

10 Cities
    14 Workers (1.4 Ratio is getting a little bit better! At least 17 Workers is the goal.)
    8 Archers (I want 11 - one for each city)
    4 Warriors (They will eventually get posted to deal with some kind of emergency.)
    5 Swordsmen
    4 Axemen

EDIT: Up to Turn 135 (500AD) and will tell about it soon.

Attached Files:

4. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

My game is at 500AD or Turn 135. I was thinking about doing a general edit above but decided to post again.

Instead of turn logging I separated everything into categories and cities so that everybody can easily see the progression.

So here is what I have:

Technology
    Spoiler :
    Turn 77 Writing
    Turn 85 Mathematics
    Turn 96 Currency
    Turn 103 Code of Laws
    Turn 111 Metal Casting
    Turn 116 Construction
    Turn 119 Aesthetics
    Turn 120 Polytheism
    Turn 122 Literature
    Turn 125 Calendar
    Turn 127 Drama
    Turn 131 Music

Religion
    Spoiler :
    Turn 103 Confucianism founded in Gilette

Turn 104 Des Moines
    Turn 112 Moosonee
    Turn 113 Sydney
    Turn 117 Tlaxcala
    Turn 119 Somebody founded Christianity
    Turn 120 Cranbrook
    Turn 130 Somebody founded Taoism
    Turn 135 Charlotte

Great People
    Spoiler :
    Turn 118 John D Rockefeller in Charlotte (Great Merchant)
    Turn 119 Settled John D Rockefeller in Baton Rouge
    Turn 130 Charles Darwin in Baton Rouge (Great Scientist)
    Turn 131 Victor Hugo in Charlotte (Great Artist)
    Turn 131 Charles Darwin built an Academy in Des Moines
    Turn 132 Mikhail Lomonosov in Des Moines (Great Scientist)
    Turn 133 Mikhail Lomonosov built an Academy in Charlotte
    Turn 133 Ivan the Terrible in Charlotte (Great General)

The First Aztec War (Turns 128 to 135)
    Spoiler :
    Turn 128 - War Declared! This was coming. It is better to start a war on your own terms when you have the advantage, right?

Objective - Disembowel the Aztec Empire. Wipe out the Main Stack and the production Centers. Take the plunder. Leave the shell. Yarr!
    Turn 128 - The Invasion force drops right next to Teotihuacan with 13 Swords, 2 Axes, and 7 Catapults. There is a reserve of an Axe and a Catapult on board 4 Galleys.

Turn 129 - Captured Teotihuacan, losing 4 Catapults and destroying 5 Jaguars and 3 Archers, plundering 185g.

Turn 129 - Captured a Worker southeast of Teotihuacan
    Turn 131 - Captured a Worker near Gilette
    Turn 132 - Destroyed an Aztec Galley near Baton Rouge
    Turn 133 - Captured Tenochtitlan, losing 2 Catapults and destroying 2 Archers, 1 Axe, and 1 Jaguar, plundering 110g.

Turn 133 - Defeated the Jaguar on the Marble near Gilette, losing 1 Axeman and spawning Ivan the Terrible (Great General)
    Turn 135 - Captured Tlatelolco with no losses and destroying 3 Archers and 2 Jaguars, plundering 112g.

Wonder Races Lost:
    Spoiler :
    Turn 78 Oracle
    Turn 94 Temple of Artemis
    Turn 105 Pyramids
    Turn 121 Hanging Gardens
    Turn 121 Chichen Itza

Charlotte (Founded Turn 0)
    Spoiler :
    Turn 79 Worker (I made the switch)
    Turn 80 Archer
    Turn 82 Library (whipped)
    Turn 83 Archer
    Turn 86 Work Boat
    Turn 92 Settler
    Turn 93 Archer
    Turn 95 Barracks (whipped)
    Turn 96 Swordsman
    Turn 99 Swordsman
    Turn 101 Swordsman
    Turn 104 Market (whipped)
    Turn 107 Swordsman
    Turn 111 Swordsman
    Turn 113 Forge (whipped)
    Turn 116 The Colossus

Turn 119 Catapult
    Turn 122 Catapult
    Turn 124 Aqueduct (whipped)
    Turn 126 Catapult
    Turn 128 Catapult
    Turn 129 Catapult
    Turn 130 Axeman
    Turn 132 Axeman
    Turn 133 Swordsman
    Turn 135 Colosseum (whipped)

Baton Rouge (Founded Turn 36)
    Spoiler :
    Turn 79 Settler (whipped)
    Turn 82 Lighthouse
    Turn 87 Worker
    Turn 90 Worker (whipped)
    Turn 96 Worker (whipped)
    Turn 97 Library
    Turn 103 Worker
    Turn 110 Galley (whipped)
    Turn 111 Barracks
    Turn 113 Forge
    Turn 116 Market (whipped)
    Turn 124 Catapult
    Turn 132 Aqueduct (whipped)
    Turn 133 Catapult

Des Moines (Founded Turn 45)
    Spoiler :
    Turn 77 Settler (whipped)
    Turn 84 Worker
    Turn 88 Settler (whipped)
    Turn 89 Archer
    Turn 99 Library (whipped)
    Turn 103 Settler (whipped)
    Turn 111 Worker
    Turn 112 Barracks
    Turn 114 Forge
    Turn 117 Market (whipped)
    Turn 122 Archer
    Turn 124 The Great Library

Turn 127 Worker (whipped)
    Turn 128 National Epic
    Turn 134 Aqueduct (whipped)
    Turn 135 Axeman

Gilette (Founded Turn 59)
    Spoiler :
    Turn 78 Barracks
    Turn 82 Axeman
    Turn 85 Axeman
    Turn 87 Worker (whipped)
    Turn 93 Library
    Turn 94 Axeman
    Turn 96 Axeman
    Turn 99 Swordsman
    Turn 100 Swordsman
    Turn 102 Swordsman
    Turn 105 Swordsman
    Turn 109 Courthouse
    Turn 111 Axeman
    Turn 115 Forge
    Turn 117 Axeman
    Turn 119 Catapult
    Turn 122 Catapult
    Turn 124 Catapult
    Turn 127 Courthouse
    Turn 130 Axeman
    Turn 132 Swordsman
    Turn 133 Swordsman

New York (Founded Turn 64)
    Spoiler :
    Granary in New York (whipped)
    Turn 87 Lighthouse
    Turn 95 Library
    Turn 97 Barracks (whipped)
    Turn 99 Swordsman
    Turn 102 Swordsman
    Turn 107 Galley (whipped)
    Turn 108 Swordsman
    Turn 113 Forge (whipped)
    Turn 114 Swordsman
    Turn 119 Market (whipped)
    Turn 125 Catapult
    Turn 131 Aqueduct (whipped)
    Turn 132 Catapult

Augusta (Founded Turn 75)
    Spoiler :
    Turn 81 Work Boat
    Turn 92 Granary (whipped)
    Turn 99 Lighthouse
    Turn 104 Library (whipped)
    Turn 107 Galley
    Turn 109 Galley
    Turn 113 Forge (whipped)
    Turn 119 Courthouse
    Turn 121 Market (whipped)
    Turn 126 Archer
    Turn 129 Archer
    Turn 131 Aqueduct (whipped)
    Turn 133 Barracks

Moosonee (Founded Turn 79)
    Spoiler :

Turn 84 Monument
    Turn 91 Granary
    Turn 109 Library
    Turn 115 Forge
    Turn 119 Courthouse
    TUrn 124 The Parthenon

Turn 125 Market (whipped)

Cranbrook (Founded Turn 85)
    Spoiler :
    Turn 88 Monument
    Turn 100 Granary
    Turn 108 Library
    Turn 114 Courthouse
    Turn 125 Forge

Vancouver (Founded Turn 94)
    Spoiler :

Turn 104 Granary
    Turn 108 Lighthouse
    Turn 113 Forge (whipped)
    Turn 115 Library
    Turn 122 Courthouse
    Turn 126 Barracks
    Turn 128 Archer
    Turn 130 Market (whipped)
    Turn 133 Swordsman

Sydney (Founded Turn 95)
    Spoiler :

Turn 108 Lighthouse
    Turn 111 Granary (whipped)
    Turn 112 Forge
    Turn 121 Library (whipped)
    Turn 131 Courthouse (whipped)

Eureka (Founded Turn 108)
    Spoiler :

Turn 116 Work Boat
    Turn 123 Granary
    Turn 127 Lighthouse
    Turn 129 Library (whipped)

So here is my situation at 500AD.

It should take me a few more turns yet to take the city in Costa Rica and he will have three junk cities left.
    They are near Phoenix, AZ, Denver, CO, and Havana, Cuba.
    I can settle a quick peace and take all of his tech and that will give me time to line up my Catapults for another assault.

This should pretty much demonstrate one way to play America on Earth18.
    At this point the game should be about choosing and executing a victory strategy.

Attached Files:

5. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Wow, very well played and detailed descriptions! ;)

6. CIVilEngineer

CIVilEngineer Chieftain

I am zombifying this thread.

An alternative path - As Roosevelt on Earth 18, BTS:

Immortal
    +Huts
    +Events
    +Normal Barbarians
    +Epic Speed

Early Game: Rush Monty - Wonder spam (yay Industrious!) with 2 capitals: SH, GW, TGL, Mids (in that order)

DC: Settle 1W, work the deer until you grow to size 2 then switch to both forested hills, set a queue of 3 warriors. After the warriors are built, send them to the plains jungle 2N,2E of Tenochtitlan. Switch back to auto and build a work boat

Rush: Use your initial warrior to get both huts in North America, get the great plains one first, your border pop won't happen until long after Monty's Scout takes it, so a warrior will have to do it (long before you kill Monty). Note - Your initial warrior can get both huts in North America ONLY if you start 1W of the deer or 1NE of the marble, otherwise Monty will beat you to the great plains. After the huts, send this warrior 2N, 2W of Tenochtitlan. Once in position, 9 times out of 10 Tenochtitlan will only be a size 1, will have 1 warrior, 1 worker, and 1 settler in it (sometimes he gets Archery from a hut or founds a religion - if so, you'll have to back up and go about the other plan of blocking him in (even harder if he's got the religion to help him). Wait in place until he moves a warrior together with a settler 2N, 1E. At this point Tenochtitlan has grown to size 2, attack him. Move your three warriors to 1NE of Tenochtitlan and the other warrior to 1NW of Tenochtitlan. The settler will move to 2N and for some stupid reason will separate from his warrior (every. single. time.). On your next turn, 1st take the settler. Then attack Tenochtitlan with your stack. Usually you'll be left with 2 warriors and now have 2 stolen workers and an extra capital that is extremely good in the early game.

Research mining - mysticism - masonry - bronze working - sailing - wheel - pottery - writing - hunting - code of laws - currency. This should get you up to 6 commerce minimum in all of your coastal cities from just trade routes. Skip landlocked cities for a long time. TMIT's city spamming with Monty should give you a clue on how to abuse TGL.

Mid Game: Micro the **** out of granaries and courthouses to get them out quickly. Lots of cities, low corruption (yay Organized!), lots of trade routes. You will meet the east behind by 4 to 5 techs. You should be able to get Astronomy before them and with your huge city advantage you'll get enormous trans-ocean trade bonuses (its worth obsoleting TGL).

End Game: Most of your mature cities won't have a ton of production so the Space Race is sometimes hard. However, they'll all have decent production so I've found that tank spamming with way points in Nova Scotia (to attack Europe) and Salvador (to attack Africa) works well. The attack points are far from China and Persia (your most probable rivals). The early land you take in Europe is fully developed and you can get England and defend it pretty easily. Finishing this way is a slog, but it works for me. I usually win in the early to mid 1900s this way.

7. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

It’s nice to see people still studying Earth18 strategy!

8. CIVilEngineer

CIVilEngineer Chieftain

I was able to go the catapult route up until emperor at normal speed, but spent a couple of years trying to figure out the warrior rush on immortal.

I love the earth map and have been tinkering with different strategies to mixed results for some time now. Rome is far an away the easiest one to win with (a beat stick is so easy to play).

9. earthy

earthy Warlord

england is really fun too. send a workboat down towards mansa, trade your horse for his elephant, take out france, spain, rome, greece, germany.

10. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I have never tried these scenarios.
    Is it possible to play on deity too..?

What scenario do I select and how do I configure it?

11. earthy

earthy Warlord

Yep you can. Just pick custom scenario, then map is Earth18Civs and you can change your difficulty/settings. Unfortunately turning huts off does nothing :(. If you're feeling particularly brave try out Inca. You have the pleasure of starting boxed in by the Andes, while Monty takes over north america and 15 other civs go trade happy with each other in the old world.

Spoiler inca start: :
    yes, that's a plains corn :lol:

inca.png

Harv and krikav like this.
  12. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

I thought Mali was for the particularly brave. Inca is kind of fun. It's a matter of getting out of that shell into South America.

EDIT - Also, it has been noted in one of my games that the difficulty only determines the AI tech rate and build rate. If you set your difficulty to Deity, the AI still starts with one Warrior, because that is what the map starts them with. You would have to go into the map editor and give them whatever they start with on Deity.

I suppose you could also give the Mongols 20 Keshiks just for fun.

earthy likes this.
  13. earthy

earthy Warlord

@Harv I think Inca would be pretty brutal on deity because of barbs. Expanding into south america would have to be delayed until after optics most likely, and by then it's going to be a wasteland of barbs. At least with Mali you get some elephants to kill people with, you can trade, etc(though I haven't played them yet)

Harv likes this.
  14. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

I have never tried an Earth game (or any game) on Deity. One thing to clarify: Are you talking about the Earth 18 scenario on Deity or are you modifying the start to give AI and Barbs their starting tech?

South America also has a couple of choke points to break in. I am thinking western Chile. There are one or two city spots and only one way across the mountains.

I just assumed Mali had the worst start.

earthy likes this.
  15. earthy

earthy Warlord

I've only tried it on immortal, but I'm just talking about the difficulty without adding any techs. Either way barb archers and axes will show up early enough.

The way I see that start, if you want any chance at not falling behind you essentially have to beeline optics to get into the trading game. That usually means you have to keep your city count low in the beginning, a max of 4-5 good cities. Our only metal is to the south and has no food or resources, so settling that is too detrimental to our economy at least until we have astro, but probably also after. That means we're fighting barb axes with only archers.

Those choke points you mentioned are nice, but again they're only temporary, and one of them is not ideal because we have river tiles we'd like to improve on the other side of the choke. Even after we reach astro and can push out on the continent with better units(I found trading for feud and pushing out with LB instead of metal units worked okay), everything is jungled and cities 5-10 won't have a single food resource. The empire growth is really really slow with tons of worker turns needed, and meanwhile we have very little control over what's happening in the old world. In one of my games China had like 20 cities and 5 vassals. Even all of that aside, we have to worry about the constant threat that Monty comes and kills us. It's unlikely we'll get him to friendly since he'll repeatedly ask us to join his war on Roosevelt, and we can't really do that cause traderoutes will make up a large chunk of our early economy.

I'll have to try mansa out, but I can't imagine it could be that bad with elephants + neighbours.

16. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Rushing with Skirmishers should be fun if AI start with warriors. Biggest issue could be barbs with so much spare land. Even then Skirmishers will be great fog busters.

earthy likes this.
  17. earthy

earthy Warlord

I tried that out, but it's tough because you need a galley to reach Monty. It's technically one continent/landmass, but there's a peak in the way. Maybe I was too slow, but I could only take one crappy city because the next targets were on a hill with 40%+ culture and like 4 archers. Monty also grabs copper with his like 4th or 5th city so the window isn't huge.

For fogbusting they do the trick for a little while, but barb axes show up way earlier than you'd like.

edit: for some reason I read skirmishers as quechua. you were talking about Mansa, doh.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020