[GS] Need Help on Hungary

I seem to remember in tests, as soon as you have no more troops, you can levy more. Probably the reason you cannot destroy them. I am pretty sure that’s why I wrote the line subtly in the guide, not 30 turns but instead while you are levying. Read the first bullet point and ask yourself why I did not simply put 30 turns in there.

I tried that now in a game, it didn't work:
289070_20191127215939_1.png

I had one Musketman from Mexico, I suicided it to levy the crossbowman, because the AI won't move it and I need to go through there. I already played around 5 turns after the Musketman died, I still can't levy Mexico's units. I still had around 15 turns left on the Musketman.

I am surprised. My go to strategy with Hungary is not mentioned here. I mainly buy envoys by using a very active Amani to switch in and out of suzerainity until I dominate any given city state. This is expensive, but if you are using your levied units to fight non-conquering wars it pays off pretty well, and Hungary should not have money problems because of their cheap commercial hubs. Since you don't care about units surviving, you do an extra pillage or fight to kill them, then when you next levy it will be cheaper.

I am surprised. My go to strategy with Hungary is not mentioned here. I mainly buy envoys by using a very active Amani to switch in and out of suzerainity until I dominate any given city state. This is expensive, but if you are using your levied units to fight non-conquering wars it pays off pretty well, and Hungary should not have money problems because of their cheap commercial hubs. Since you don't care about units surviving, you do an extra pillage or fight to kill them, then when you next levy it will be cheaper.

When talking about any "strategy" you have, why don't you try the map provided in #1? 14 Downloads, only one tries, and no one finishes.

Last edited:
I don't like online speed. It's too quick for my enjoyment. I mainly wanted to comment on an approach that was seemingly not mentioned

levying city state units sucks so much on online speed. hungary is basically a non-civ. on standard, I feel like levy is vastly overpowered though, and so hungary becomes, well..

Seriously... what?

Combine the difficulty where the AI is at its strongest and the player at its weakest (bonuses and penalties) with the fastest game speed which gives you the least amount of freedom of choices because every turn has a higher value than on slower speeds? Most fun for casual?

This guy....

he's not wrong, standard speed and slower heavily incentivizes any sort of military action. online speed is also nice for casuals because you're not investing multiple days into a game, which is a big deal for people with tight schedules. obviously online and deity is too difficult to be called casual, no discussion there, but his other arguments aren't bad.

I would argue for a casual player going down one or two difficulties and trying online isn't bad. most kids (or most people, actualy..) nowadays play fortnite or mobile games, I don't think they would have the attention span for standard or slower games. even I don'T :D

Last edited:
he's not wrong, standard speed and slower heavily incentivizes any sort of military action. online speed is also nice for casuals because you're not investing multiple days into a game, which is a big deal for people with tight schedules.
i find myself clicking as much on online as standard so not sure that's the case, and clicking (and planning) takes more time than waiting between turns for me.
levying city state units sucks so much on online speed.
that's pretty much the issue with the OP question honestly, 15-turn levy can't do much at all (but he still insisted others to use his own setting which it's obviously not balanced or created for) and that's hungary's strongest point
OTOH i used them on marathon before, and yes the opposite happens there: they are overpowered (as if standard sword army isn't OP enough it's there for 90 turns now, i gave up building my own army that game), so at least we know their ability is differentiated by game speed (compared to most other civ's more consistent bonuses).

that's pretty much the issue with the OP question honestly, 15-turn levy can't do much at all (but he still insisted others to use his own setting which it's obviously not balanced or created for) and that's hungary's strongest point
OTOH i used them on marathon before, and yes the opposite happens there: they are overpowered (as if standard sword army isn't OP enough it's there for 90 turns now, i gave up building my own army that game), so at least we know their ability is differentiated by game speed (compared to most other civ's more consistent bonuses).

I have played games as non-Hungary where I did not build an army and conquered my neighbors with nothing but CS. I think levy is intensely broken, but I very much enjoy it and wouldn't mind if they kept it like it is. It's a fun mechanic and makes CS more than just a passive bonus, which was desperately needed anyway. The only thing I really dislike is that units disappear when suzerains change. That, imho, is just utterly broken. I had one game where I spent ~1400 gold and lost my army the next turn :D I think reducing levy time by ~10 turns on standard would be enough of a punishment, I routinely need at least 5-10 turns to get my troops into position anyway.

I mean CLEARLY Hungary is terrible and can't match Gandhi in domination - just look at this one map he once played! Lol.
(On quick speed, which also happens to nerf the civ)

I think it's profoundly weird that you all fault Lily for mocking other people yet you managed to get a 3 post streak of nothing but pure, unadultered public mockery going. It's okay to disagree, I disagree with him often. But currently you're just taking a dump on him.

I think it's profoundly weird that you all fault Lily for mocking other people yet you managed to get a 3 post streak of nothing but pure, unadultered public mockery going. It's okay to disagree, I disagree with him often. But currently you're just taking a dump on him.

There is a LARGE difference between calling out someone who constantly posts BS, and lily's nonsensical mocking. Your both sides fallacy needs die.

okay champ. glad I asked.

okay champ. glad I asked.

The only reason for someone who have already played for a couple of years but still claiming "I'm a casual player so I cannot finish under 200 turns even if others always finishes before 180, however, I still think I have the ability to judge and call those who play quicker than me BS." is that they don't want to learn at all but rather stay in their "zone of supermacy" forever. Just ignore them is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason for someone who have already played for a couple of years but still claiming "I'm a casual player so I cannot finish under 200 turns even if others always finishes before 180, however, I still think I have the ability to judge and call those who play quicker than me BS." is that they don't want to learn at all but rather stay in their "zone of supermacy" forever. Just ignore them is fine.
except 1.
others always finishes before 180
is a misleading statement. Your "others" here is actually the minority. A better statement would be "I'm a casual player so I cannot finish under 200 turns like most other players even if some minority players always finishes before 180 then tell me I don't have the ability to judge and call those who play quicker than me BS despite them being the minor group of player who constantly assess their pointless dominance over others."

and 2.
that they don't want to learn at all but rather stay in their "zone of supermacy" forever. Just ignore them is fine.
This completely ignores that "learning" has never been a requirement of playing this game nor has it ever been a requirement of participating in the game community, and your use here just unnecessarily reinforce the "assess their pointless dominance over others" negative characteristics of the top players.

except 1.

is a misleading statement. Your "others" here is actually the minority. A better statement would be "I'm a casual player so I cannot finish under 200 turns like most other players even if some minority players always finishes before 180 then tell me I don't have the ability to judge and call those who play quicker than me BS despite them being the minor group of player who constantly assess their pointless dominance over others."

and 2.

This completely ignores that "learning" has never been a requirement of playing this game nor has it ever been a requirement of participating in the game community, and your use here just unnecessarily reinforce the "assess their pointless dominance over others" negative characteristics of the top players.

I always laugh at the people who feel some type of supremacy over others because of how quickly they can finish a game, considering I don't even *try* to rush a victory. They're literally winning a race against someone who isn't even trying to run.

Perhaps the worst part of all of it, though, is this constantly stated belief that this is somehow typical and is how most people actually play the game. That's not even remotely based in reality but it doesn't seem to stop them from going on and on and on and on...

I always laugh at the people who feel some type of supremacy over others because of how quickly they can finish a game, considering I don't even *try* to rush a victory. They're literally winning a race against someone who isn't even trying to run.

Perhaps the worst part of all of it, though, is this constantly stated belief that this is somehow typical and is how most people actually play the game. That's not even remotely based in reality but it doesn't seem to stop them from going on and on and on and on...

I'll add that winning too early is quite boring. Impressive, but boring. You never get the time to properly develop your Empire, everything looks like a lifeless wasteland by the time you're done. It feels like a wasted game. I enjoy winning around turn 230, less than that feels rushed, more than that gets tiresome.

Top Bottom